Monday 10 December 2012

IIDD, Winter Solstice: Monday, December 10th

Writing is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as the headlights, but you make the whole trip that way. -E.L. Doctorow, writer (b. 1931) 



George,

Will the structure feature a giant hamster wheel, exactly .33 cubits in diameter, with a cyclist, pedaling eternally but going nowhere?



más adelante//bjp
____________________
Branko Perić Capitán y Cocinero Jefe del Barco

Dear Members of The Pied Piper's Peleton,
I am horrified that we as a group are not making a bigger deal about this honour being bestowed upon our Directore. What, have we no pulse?!! Yes yes I realize he will soon be jetting off in some warm vessel leaving us to navigate the cold mists of Vancouver by ourselves, but it must be obvious by the pale pallor of his senior citizenry that he needs to get away and recirculate. Looking down into the bowl (made of exquisite white porcelain) he has seen both name and reflection and cannot help but recognize his timeless connection to this holiest of places.
I humbly suggest that come spring we honour this honour by making a cycling pilgrimage to Patrick Dunn Plaza. Upon arrival at this sacred place we will reverentially lean our bikes against the abutments of the fountain  and do what nature (and nurture) calls us to do. As this has been my idea I feel entitled to reserve the most windward position.
Life should not just be an endless stream of pissing contests, but on rare occasions, shaking the dew off the hammer of Thor is just what is called for. Out- to- lunch, partially vetted, probationary member of the NRBC, Stephen.

Hi Tiptoe!

Gang are fine and send their regards! Does latest picture have to do with you new job and a reinvigorated fascination with silver birds! Cheers, Patrice!!!?


P,

Attached, some pics from Cobby: Identify! I think you, and the original
owner will agree, it is returning to its original stately form. He rode it
for the first time today. 



I am glad I have shares at West Point Cycle. They appear to be paying quite
handsomely in the servicing division.

Remind me to relay some of the stories Carlos relayed from the Gamble --
priceless. Well, I should say, price full. Chasy bought the winning team and
is retiring to Parksville with the Millionares. 

How goes the trip preparations? W

"I love mankind. It's the people I can't stand." Charles Schulz



Hi Giggster!

Simply loved the pictures! Thanks, I'll have Campy back now! I'll give Two-Two my Madone. Think it'll be cheaper in the long run! Caution about Millionaires and association therewith. Great possibility of acquiring Acute Hungerford Syndrome. No known cure!

Haven't even started to pack, probably at 3:00am Wednesday morning, before we leave for Portland, at the rate I'm going! Running around like a chicken, (sorry, swimming around like sustainable Sockeye), with its head cut off! Will try to call for malt infusione/resuscitation! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 


Hi Patrick,

I just wanted to take a moment and congratulate you on the honour of having the plaza named after you.  This is indeed an honour Patrick.  You and your family must be very proud.


I see that Elizabeth has suggested a bike ride out to the fountain, and I think this is a fine idea.  Perhaps in the summer a trek out to the fountain, followed by a toast with a nice glass of scotch is in order.


Nevertheless, this is indeed great news Patrick.  Congrat's once again. Cheers, Titanium Man


Dear St Stefano, Titanium Man and Herr Dottore-Spinnage-Proffessore-Fraudster-Giggenheimer!

It is with characteristic humility and much modesty that I accept the rightful and fitting honour of having the new plaza named, (about time!), after mine own fulsome and illustrious self. I particularly wish to thank San Stefano for suggesting that the plaza become a shrine to which cyclisti can journey to pay hommage, akin to a Christian pilgrimage to the Holy Land or to the Hajj, and to Titanium Man, for the proposal of a toast with appropriate choice of libation. On a sour note, however, I feel that Captain Barnacle's jaundiced, cynical reference to a "giant hamster wheel, exactly .33 cubits in diameter, with a cyclist pedaling eternally but going nowhere" is nothing short of blasphemy. I suspect that he is not only seethingly jealous and bitterly envious that the plaza is not named Rum Runner Heaven but also apoplectically fussed that storm-water, rather than bilge-water, is to be used in the re-circulation process of the fountain. I suggest that he is nothing but a Screech-soaked swiller of deck-climber, eternally blowing his fog horn, lost in the sea mist with not a chart in sight for a nautical mile, going nowhere!


On another, more pedestrian, so to speak, matter, the fountain will also provide a much needed source of income as I understand that all the coins tossed therein will be collected each fortnight and deposited into my Swiss bank account. With my impending travels to sunnier climes and more supportive friends, bye the bye, I know I will feel the pinch resulting from The Sisterhood's insistence upon Five Star accommodation and Haute cuisine dining. As if these superfluous and completely unnecessary expenses were not enough to drain my Swiss coffers, I received my latest tune-up bill but lately:

We have completed your work order (120912124036) at West Point Cycles - West 10th Ave. Please stop by at your earliest convenience.Total:$232.94

Notes: 3 month tune-up completed. Replaced missing fender pieces. installed new chain. Test ridden, chain slipping in highest gear (big ring/small cog) due to worn cassette cog. Replaced cassette, test ridden, slipping eliminated.

Thank you, Jacob, Service Team Extortionist, West Point Choppers - West 10th. Ave.

Yet in spite of my great and pressing financial need, yesterday, from 10am-2:00pm  Chloë and I sold Christmas trees, a fund-raiser, for Aunt Leah's, (http://auntleahs.org/), "a registered charity that has been helping kids in foster care and teen moms achieve a better future for over twenty years", at their Burnaby lot. Very, very busy and we sold over $1,500 worth of trees on our shift alone. Not sure if it had anything to do with the hootch infused hot chocolate
or not but we had a blast! If you are looking for a tree, everything from Noble Firs to classic Charlie Browns, consider Aunt Leah's. Wonderful selection and certainly a remarkable charity worthy of much support.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for their wishes, both heartfelt and mean-spirited! Wassail/Cheers, Il Cassette-Crusher, Chain-Chewer Conduttore! Pic:  Son-of-Frosty!


 Dearest Erich!

It goes without saying that both Corinne and I were utterly dismayed to hear, from Thomas, about your devastating diagnosis. Please know that our hearts and minds go out to you and Nola in the face of this crushing revelation. I am not at all sure how to approach your dire situation as anything I can say pales in the face of the sentence you have been handed. I cannot even begin to imagine the strength and courage you will need as you come to terms with the finality that approaches. Nevertheless, we offer you what support our friendship can lend to this terrible struggle.

I trust you will not feel me overly insensitive but Thomas mentioned you might like to receive one of my "up-lifting", as he so quaintly put it, email messages, so I include some of my latest activities. 
Of course I trust that this message finds you as well as can be expected, Dear Friend. Difficult beyond understanding as it must be for you, Erich, we send our love and empathy, our care and concern. Fond regards, Corinne and Patrizzio!

My friend Patrick-

Couldn't have written a better missive myself!  I have shared with Thomas, especially for the pics.  I HAVE LOSR FEKKINGS IN FINGERS SO HAVE TO PECK WIH ONE OF THEM TO WRITE ANYTHHING.

my thanks to you and Corinne for your uplifting thoughts.  I am starting hospice this week.  Music, ffod, and wine taste great to me--what more except maybe than a good poke!!

Love, Erich

p.s. thomas and i are going to see "the lifre of Pi" in 3-D having aeen it once before.  


Hey all, so clearly this is not a good time of...
Nicole Marie
Hey all, so clearly this is not a good time of year for parties!! so we have decided to cancel so more can come in the new year when we reschedule. Happy holidays everyone :)


Was great to see the two of you. But visit was too short.
We have finally figured out our schedule and will be in the NO area from Jan. 16-23 rd.
Are you interested in joining us. There are some comfortable looking places available for rent. We could spend a few days in NO and a few days in the country side. Let me know your plans.Love Corinne

 

Hi Cajun Kids!

Had meant to send these along ages ago! Thanks so much for your attending the Open House! Busy time here so must apologize for not writing sooner. 
We are scheduled to leave Vancouver tomorrow so unfortunately will not sleep tonight as I haven't even started to pack! Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year to you both, dear, dear friends!  Don't worry, we plan to come back to stay overnight at The Naramata as soon as possible! Fondestos and Cheers, Cora Lee, Chloë and Patrizzio!



No comments:

Post a Comment