Thursday 6 December 2012

IIDD: Winter Solstice: Wednesday, December 5th

No man should judge unless he asks himself in absolute honesty whether in a similar situation he might not have done the same. -Viktor Frankl, author, neurologist and psychiatrist, Holocaust survivor (1905-1997) 


Hi Giggster!

Thanks for the wishes! Does this now mean that I'm the Doyen of the Peleton and the NRBC? "The senior member of a group, profession, etc."Doyen Dunn does have a nice ring to it, I must admit!

Still have all of my presents to open in spite of the fact that both Chloë and Cora Lee wanted me to open them last night! It's driving them crazy although Coriandre is just glad that I'm now 65, along with her!!!


We had a wonderful meal at Sandbar last night. Had a drink here before we walked over at 5:30pm. Chloë wasn't off until 5:00pm and we wanted to go reasonably early for two reasons: Quieter before it starts to get really busy so easier for Clara and Dusty to hear but we also had tickets, as I think I might have mentioned, to see The Sanataland Diaries at the Revue Stage at 8:00pm. Coramandel had reserved a table on the third floor and it worked out very well, much much quieter so normal conversation was possible. I had swordfish and I must say I do love the texture and flavour of this particular seafood although they are such magnificent creatures that I do feel guilty about devouring them at all, let alone with such gusto! The Blue Mountain 2009 Pinot Blanc, (a literal steal at only $38), was simply delicious, a crisp, crisp white, with flavours of citrus, melon and apricot, a far cry from the bilge water I'm used to gagging upon with Captain Barnacle!

Everyone was happy to stay with whites but Clarisse prefers red wine so I asked for tasters of the James Oatley Tic Toc Shiraz, Australia, and the Mission Hill Reserve Merlot, as both are available by the glass. I much preferred the BC offering so ordered a bottle. Much to my surprise, when I went to look at the bottle I realized that our waitress had brought the Tic Toc instead. I thought that the Merlot was far, far superior and I wanted to send the Ticking Closk back but by this time The Sisterhood had already poured about a third of the bottle into their glasses and they didn't want me to create a fuss. In fact, I was thinking of punching the server in the head, a la cycle road rage. I think if I had connected squarely, I might have been able to knock her right over the balcony so that she would have plummeted onto the second floor, right into the crab tank! No such luck, as sensing my upset, she said she would give me two free Crème brûlées for dessert. Somewhat mollified, I accepted her offer, none to graciously, I must admit, only to have to fight off the rest of the table who had earlier claimed not to be interested in a sweet, when the delicious rich custard was delivered! Some family. No support for insisting upon original order and then almost complete depredation of my compensatory offering!

Coat Hanger and Rosita very generously footed the entire bill, (Their birthday present to me.), and we than made our way to The Revue Stage, but just around the corner. Didn't even need to use our brollies. Found our seats and then noticed close friends, Mark and Laura Roberts, a row or two away. I met Mark back in the late '80's when he took a School Libraries course I was teaching up in Terrace. He was in Prince Rupert at the time and our friendship deepened when he moved to Vancouver to work as a teacher-librarian here. We continued to see each other, initially, when he attended summer school. had a brief visit before performance started and invited them back for maltage after show.

What rollicking great good fun as Ryan Beil, (for a full 75 minutes, no intermission), brings Sedaris' "merrily wicked tale of his tour of duty as an elf at Macy’s Santaland," to uproarious life. "From posts as Vomit Corner Elf to Water Cooler Elf to Cash Register Elf, Sedaris works his way up the candy-cane ladder and lives to share his hysterical, behind-the-scenes anecdotes. Both outlandish and illuminating, this sardonic comedy is a holiday treat for adults. This show is more naughty than nice—and less than politically correct!" Perfect Christmas fare for the Peleton and the NRBC! Move over Donna Reed and Jimmy Stewart, make room for this refreshing, biting look at Christmas, akin in many ways to Lawrence Ferlinghetti's Christ Climbed Down:



Christ climbed down
from his bare tree
this year
and ran away to where there we no rootless Christmas trees
hung with candy canes and breakable stars.
Christ climbed down
from His bare Tree
this year
and ran away to where
there were no gilded Christmas trees
and no tinsel Christmas trees
and no tinfoil Christmas trees
and no pink plastic Christmas trees
and no black Christmas trees
and no powder blue Christmas trees
hung with electric candles and encircled by tin electric trains
and clever cornball relatives.
Christ climbed won
from His bare Tree
this year
and ran away to where
no intrepid Bible salesmen
covered the territory
in two-tone cadillacs
and where no Sears Roebuck crèches complete with plastic babe in manger
arrived by parcel post, the babe by special delivery...
Christ climbed down
from his bare Tree
this year
and softly stole away into
some anonymous Mary's womb again
where in the darkest night
of everybody's anonymous soul
He awaits again
and unimaginable
and impossibly
Immaculate Reconception
the very craziest of Second Comings. Lawrence Ferlinghetti. from A Coney Island of the Mind. New Directions, 1958.

We met Laura and Mark in the lobby and walked back home. Had a great visit, catching up and everyone had a birthday cupcake, (from Stuart's Bakery on GI),except me, as I was still very, very pleasantly full from dinner. (One left, along with two Crème brûlées as well, so I'll have it/them tonight when opening presents!) The assmebled Sisterhood finished off the Ventisquero Single Block Grey [Glacier] 2010 Carménère, 14%, while Mark and I smacked our lips over an anaemic  20 year old BenRiach, Speyside, 43%. Must say that I hadn't had it for sometime and didn't remember just how good it was. Soon as I took a sip I was sorry that I had offered it to him. Should have opened the Swedish Twin's McClellan's Bilge Water/Porch Climber Special!

Said goodbye to our guests close to 11:00pm as they still had to drive to Port Coquitlam. have made plans to see them again, once we are back. They have seasons tickets to the Arts Club so I suggested that they come for dinner here beforehand. Great evening made even better by the chance encounter.

Thanks again for invitation to welcome in The New Age/Era!. I'll give you a shout when I'm back from swimming and we can plan accordingly. I don't have to be anywhere until just before 7:00pm when I am attending a lecture at the University Women's Club. Coriandre is ushering at the event so she will be at Hycroft well beforehand and Chloë said she would drop me off.


8th Annual December 6 Commemorative Event for the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women

Our special guest speaker will be Shelagh Day, international authority on women’s human rights. Since the 1970s, Ms. Day has worked towards the full participation of Canadian women in social, economic and political life. Her deep commitment to women’s issues was recognized in 2008 when she received the Governor General’s Award in Commemoration of the Persons Case for her outstanding contributions to the advancement of women. Members of our Club have collaborated with her in the past on issues related to violence against women. Ms. Day will review the many human rights challenges for Canadian aboriginal women. This event is organized by the Federation Committee with the support of the Status of Women and Human Rights Committee. (Note: Men are welcome guests as in other Club events.)

Guess The Sisterhood Book Club is not as inclusive as Hycroft! Wassail, Doyen Dunn!

Hi Patrick. It's I that should be apologising for being so tardy at emailing. I don't even have your excuse of being overly busy. In fact I have been ashamedly lazy of late! I have managed a few chores around the place and tidied up the garden for the winter and have finally managed to get the porch finished. No, I didn't build it myself but I did have to play tea servant to the workmen! Picture of the finished porch attached. So much better than the rotting wreck that was there prior. I got the lions head carving from a reclamation place in London. We also had extremely heavy winds and floods in the Westcountry a couple of weeks ago. We weren't flooded but the wind managed to rip away flashing from one of the chimneys and so we ended up with water pouring down the wall in the guest bedroom! The main problem now is getting a roofing company to come in to give me estimates for the insurance company. Easier said than done since they are all stacked out with work. Once the roof has been fixed I will have to strip the wallpaper off the wall and redecorate since it is now ruined.

We had the Cothey's over for dinner a few days ago. Was Steve's birthday and we also needed to catch up on Gudrun's trip to Denver and their time in Vancouver with the kids. I did a timbale of crab and avocado with tomato chutney and a quenelle of Cornish goats cheese. I then did a boeuf bourguignon  with creamed potatoes, French buttered beans, carrots and glazed baby onions and for desert I made a lemon cheesecake with warm blueberry topping and also made a lemon Greek yogurt ice cream to accompany. Steve brought over a very nice Rioja after which we had a nice Shiraz. It was a cold evening so I lite a  fire and we had a very cosy evening!

Speaking of wine, we are in a wine club and have a delivery of reds arriving next week. I am anxious to see what we can look forward to at Christmas. Our local grocery store had wine specials on last week so we took advantage of some half price offers. We also received an additional 25% off for buying 6 or more bottles. The advantage of being able to buy liquor in local stores! The government is bringing in legislation to stop supermarkets from selling wine and beer at below cost. Their assumption is that it is contributing to the binge drinking of young people in England but there is little evidence of this. Scotland brought in similar legislation some time ago and it has had little impact.

Tomorrow we are going to Trelissick estate for an Christmas lunch for the over seniors! If you are 60 or over in the UK you are considered a senior citizen, much to Gayle's disgust! She considers that she is still a young thing at 62! 

We are off to Southampton on Saturday for  a few days. It's Tristan's first birthday! They are all coming down to us for Christmas. We are back here on the following Thursday since I have to put a dinner on for all the sisters and husbands on Saturday.

Went into town last evening to do some shopping so took a photo of the Christmas tree outside the cathedral with my phone which I have attached. These modern phones have very good cameras in them these days.

I envy you being in some warm weather for part of the winter. I didn't quite follow your itinerary. Couldn't figure out where you were going on Dec 12th! We have no plans to get away to a warmer climate this winter. Maybe a long weekend away after Christmas to London or somewhere but that's about it I think.

Thanks you for the photos of "Pig and Mortar" We haven't heard from them much recently which is not surprising given the amount of work they have taken on. Fingers crossed that it will be a success otherwise we may end up in the poorhouse or on your doorstep asking for a room! You do have a spare room don't you?!

Speaking of rooms, you asked in your last email if you would be staying at Cothele estate when you are here. Unfortunately not! However, I have attached a picture of the alternative where you could be staying. I suggest you bring your old tweeds, with holes preferably, so that you will blend into the accommodation! You may have to keep the fire stoked to ward off the damp but as long as you have a glass of single malt in your hand you should be fine!

Have a great Christmas and New Years. I'm sure you will be in touch during your travels you lucky things! Derek


La ville de Québec en hiver, vers 1894
Photographie de Louis Prudent Vallée.
Hi Gayle Derek!

Trust you are both well! Busy times here!
We are scheduled to leave Vancouver tomorrow a week today so unfortunately I won't be sleeping for next little while as I haven't even thought about packing! Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year to you both, and family of course! Fondestos and Cheers, Cora Lee, Chloë and Patrizzio!



Dear NYHWTOHAT,
At midnight, of course, we will carry out the necessary name change and you will thereafter be known simply as MHWTOHAT (merely half way to one hundred and thirty) for a period of exactly 365 days after which you can do the math. For pronunciation guidelines please refer to the Lil'Wat Little Handbook of Phonetics for Whitey. For all other guidance pertaining to the true accent and substance of life please refer to the audio tape (surreptitiously recorded) of the most recent Festival de Fraternite held at the Island Inn...
... Listening carefully one hears the warm welcome proffered by the heavenly hosts to each and every guest, some of whom are life long seekers of the truth and patio number 107. Shortly after, there is the unmistakable sound of caps twisting, San Pellegrino popping and throats being reunited with long lost loves. There is much sighing and groaning and it quickly reaches a fever pitch. As the level of excitement drives the group to the very precipice of fulfillment a voice can be heard (a sober side bar really) " Slow down dear, you know you have to last all night!". Thereafter the group is heard giving some lip service to system 1 and system 2 but it is easy to decipher between the lines that all are more interested in drinking, some slow ,some fast.
    Much door opening and clanking of casseroles is followed by more bottle openings and clinking of glasses. There is the first of many Manga Manga calls. A few voices are silenced as the chewing begins but it can be noticed that many are not affected by this convention. Double helpings of Swedish Meatballs seem to be the big hit as the accolades are loud and lusty.  It can be detected that they become even more popular as the sauce gets poured on.
    Then there is a buzz, a palpable hum of anticipation as some gazelle footed creature hops upon a settee and offers up a toast to all.The gathered crowd is bracing for bombast but is drawn in close to witness the baring of a soul. In a voice vulnerable and moved we hear the protagonist proclaim that love and relationship is all there is. And in that same voice we hear him toast his dear dear mother. It was not captured on audio tape but there was not a dry eye in the house. Sensing that the collective needed a reprieve, the voice initiated a rousing rendition of For He's A Jolly Good Fellow.
    What follows on tape is much cacophony, oaths both ribald and endearing (redundant, no?) and the breaking of glass. Further examination of the tapes will no doubt reveal conversations and speeches worthy of comment and possibly blackmail. One such forensically gleaned speech can be attributed to one John Victorio Donne.
    Any man's locked elixir cabinet diminishes me
    Because I yearn for mirth
    And therefore, never send to know for whom the liquor flows
    It flows for thee
Another exercise in acute listening has picked up this Rumination...
    My cup has broken at a flaw
      In the gathering of lovers
   there is no place for such a cup
 But I will not mourn this broken body
for the Wine-Bearer has another for me
    filled with the pure wine of spirit.
Hi Elizabetta and St Stefano!

Trust you are both well!
Lovely to see you both at the gathering. Thank you again for the wonderful curry and the more than kind words and poetry, St Stefano!
We are scheduled to leave Vancouver a week today so unfortunately I won't be sleeping for next little while as I haven't even thought about packing! Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year to you both, and family of course! Fondestos and Cheers, Cora Lee, Chloë and Patrizzio!
Happy birthday!

Hi Jill! Thanks for the birthday wishes. Trust you and family are well. Happy Christmas and a Helathy New Year to you! Cheers, Cora Lee, Chloë and Patrizzio!
Hi Fingare!

Thank you for your lovely invitation. Needless to say, we are more than delighted to stay, so thank you, again, very, very much.

On the matter of "overlap", please remind me how old your grandchildren are and their names. I think the eldest is Paul but I must confess that the youngest's, a girl, I beleive, has completely slipped my mind! Obviously, not imbibing enough maltage!

Thanks again for the accommodazzione. Cora Lee, (Nana to Los Horridos!), is now in full Grandparent Mode and is looking forward, most eagerly, to pizza and jams with your grandchildren, while we adults have civilized cocktails!!! Will be in touch, at least the day before we leave, to confirm arrival time, etc. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

paul is 8.  loves sports Amanda is 5 . . . all girl, loves pink and glitz 


Hi Marcus Aurelius!

Person in questione is not known to me! Sorry we didn't have more time together on this morning's ride but great to see the ranks of the Peleton swelling! Cheers, Patrizio!
I have not idea either. Moe
All
I don't know this person. M 
This guy has email of Victor. Moe

Hey everyone,

Johan Blaze = Victor aka Vittorio aka freeloader aka Swedisah twin the elder. Sorry for the confusion and I know some of you are on the riper side, so to speak, so I hope I didn't give anyone a heart attack. That's just my email moniker, not my crime fighting alter ego Victor 
Jan 20 or 27th works for me. Preference to the 27th. I will respond in time to Pattrizio's "wild" accusations about me, based on what he has said so far he has me only half-figured out Victor 

Also, thank you Moe for figuring what seemingly was unsurprisingly overlooked by certain malt-loving member(s) of this fraternity 
It was a collective detective work. Cheers to all Moe 
Patrick

Just a quick email to wish you a very happy birthday today from everyone here at BirthdayAlarm.com. Have a great birthday! Xochi, Michael and Paul
Hope you have a lovely birthday, Patrick. x
Patrick James Dunn Hi June! Thanks for the birthday wishes. Trust you are well.Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year to you! Cheers, Cora Lee, Chloë and Patrizzio!
Douglas Hickey wants to be friends with you on Facebook.

Hi Douglas!

Trust you and family are well. Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year to you and Ariane, Damien and Corben! Cheers, Cora Lee, Chloë and Patrizzio!



  • Hi Choocheranian!

    Trust you and Brunello are well! Thanks very much for the birthday wishes!
  • Carol Riera I love it when you write to me on Facebook. I can actually read it!! Glad it was a good one. Maybe our paths will cross in 2013; who knows? Bruno and I are very well and can't wait to have the boys home for Christmas.
  • Patrick James Dunn Hi Chooch and Brunello! Happy Christmas and a Healthy New Year to you both and your lads! Fondestos and Cheers, Cora Lee, Chloë and Patrizzio!


Friends of Laphroaig
Dear Patrick,
Holder of Plot 320708
Best wishes and many happy returns of the day! (Please see birthday card attached)
To celebrate your birthday (and your 5 years of being a Friend of Laphroaig!) we would like to offer you a small online present from all of us here at the distillery. The code below will be valid for three months at the Friends of Laphroaig online shop. You can use the code to receive a one-off 10% birthday discount in addition to your usual FOL discount* on any purchases that you make. Just make sure that you're logged in to FOL so that we recognise you.
Your birthday code is 66026C
To visit the Friends of Laphroaig shop click here. We hope you find something to your liking.
Have a great birthday and we hope to see you some day here on Islay.
Slàinte Mhath,
John Campbell

If today isn't your birthday, please update your details here so we don't make the same mistake again.
One more thing - to make sure your emails from Laphroaig arrive safe and sound, please add us to your email 'Safe' or 'Preferred Sender' list.
If you do not wish to receive emails from Laphroaig in the future, please go to:
http://www.laphroaig.com/unsubscribe.aspx?g=3f2d514c-8096-4804-9223-597077efdf9c
* When you buy through the Friends shop you already
receive a 10% discount over the standard price

No comments:

Post a Comment