Sunday 19 August 2012

IIDS, GD: Sunday, August 19th

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. -William Bell, singer and songwriter (b. 1939)

Nadienka, in repose!


Mary Carmen Grahamposted to
Help me by taking action.

Mary has invited you to sign a petition on Causes
Bear baiting (also called bear baying) pits a declawed and defanged bear which is chained to a stake against hunting dogs that bark and bit at it while hundreds of people watch. Spectators consider this event entertainment and hunters consider this as a training regimen for their animals. As countries around the world ban events such as bullfighting and cockfighting, Pakistan and South Carolina (USA), are two remaining places that haven't criminalized the practice. Sign the petition today to help put an end to this "sport".
Hi Carmen Miranda and Southside Johnny! Trust you are both well and enjoying what seems to be a heat wave on the Coast! All the best to you both from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Pat,
    Thanks for the various photos and the up-date.
    George is currently in Kelowna for a wedding. He and I have done 3 quick rides to Iona this week back in time for breakfast on each. George's regular bike is out of commission and he's been riding the Jamis which has meant I've had to dig deep to keep up. Even more incentive to purchase something lightweight. I know we were cruising quite nicely into the breeze at 28k/h with me drafting. Managed the ride in about an hour and a half each time. I've also done a Stanley Park ride and  the Steveston run with Jenny and Sean. You might want to take a few tips from George in the clothing department which would keep Corinne happy. Gentleman George was resplendent on the Friday ride  wearing his Red Mountain Cycling Club shirt. Rode this morning with Rod and Pete. Pete's first outdoor ride since  knee surgery. He struggled on the inclines and was sore by the end of it. Rod and I were quite content to take it easy and retired to my place to watch an All Blacks rugby game from Australia
    Book recommendations for Corinne from Sylvia :         Capital by John Lanchester
                                                          The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
    Page in The Sun today with historical espionage recommendations by Mark Mills, William Boyd, David Downing, and Alan Furst. I'll keep it in case you are interested.
    Whistler Readers and Writers Festival October 12 to 14. Appearing will be Alistair MacLeod,  Lawrence Hill, Zsuzsi Gartner, Susan Juby, Margaret Macpherson and others.  - www.theviciouscircle.ca
    I'm also acting as 'quality control' with our recent efforts at choc. zucchini (yellow variety) cakes. Must admit to eating too much and also that Sylvia's version with much less sugar and with yogurt added was superior. Cycling to Terra  Nova Farms tomorrow to pick up seedlings for winter. The young lady I know is laying out for me the best of sprouts, cauliflower, scallions, lettuce, and broccoli which I hope to transport successfully in the panniers. Clearing the bush beans today to make space.
    Jenny and Sean have just returned from Seattle and have left again for an evening with her brother. They had a very busy day on Thursday - 2 hours kayaking at Deep Cove followed by the Grouse Grind; no time for dinner and on to the Canadians baseball game at Nat Bailey and the return home on foot. Doubt I could keep up that pace.
    Life continues to be very busy even though I have no tutoring work at the moment.
Ray
Hi Sprint Man!

I had already heard from Girgio that you were doing time trials out to Iona! I'll be sure to forward your message to Cora Lee so that she can plan my next purchases at MEC upon return! Grand that Peter is back, even if sore. How is Rod? Magical re-appearance indeed! Thanks for book suggestions. I'll trade one passed along by Sylvia for lycra riding shorts from Coriandre! I quite like Alan Furst, both his style and protagonists and the time period, often in the years leading up to WW II, in Europe, as you probably know. I would like to see rest as I'm not sure I know the other names. Corinne probably does so I'm sure she'd be keen to see reviews as well. 



I'm pleased to hear you have done some good rides with Jenny and Sean even if you can't keep up with their whirl of social activity. Give me a good book and a place to put up my feet, I say! Wonderful to be young, however! With respect to gardening, Dusty is ripening some tomatoes in the bay window. Summer, sadly, is on the wane here. Much cooler in the evenings, which is lovely for sleeping, but the intense heat is over, more or less. Where is Terra Nova Farms? Newfoundland? And you criticize me for long rides!!! Understand now that you'll be riding to Whistler Readers and Writers Festival this October, after going cross-Canada to The Rock. You won't even have to shift out of high gear on the long, steep hills, you'll be in such incredible condition!  

Back home to digitate while the others watched TV or read. I drove Pam to the South Shore when Greg called to be collected. Was quite mindful of possibility of deer so had my lights on high beam. Saw two in a spot where I'd passed a couple earlier that afternoon but they stayed on the verge so I was fine. Plan to take it fairly easy today as far as riding is concerned. Want to vacuum and wash my car as it is pretty bug encrusted by this point. Keep up the good road work when Whirlygig is back from Kelowna. Fondestos to Your Sisterhood from My Sisterhood! Cheers, Patrizzio!  
Sunday Brunch at SchwellenmƤtteli

Patrick James Dunn Wonderful life indeed, Dear Host Daughter. You are either eating or sleeping! Fondestos, Your Cruel Host Father!
Robert Hughes quotations: 20 of the best.

 

"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."
"The new job of art is to sit on the wall and get more expensive."
"One gets tired of the role critics are supposed to have in this culture: it's like being the piano player in a whorehouse; you don't have any control over the action going on upstairs."
Hughes on Caravaggio: "Popular in our time, unpopular in his. So runs the stereotype of rejected genius."
"So much of art – not all of it thank god, but a lot of it – has just become a kind of cruddy game for the self-aggrandisement of the rich and the ignorant, it is a kind of bad but useful business."
"A Gustave Courbet portrait of a trout has more death in it than Rubens could get in a whole Crucifixion."
"In art there is no progress, only fluctuations of intensity."
Hughes on Cezanne: "The idea that doubt can be heroic, if it is locked into a structure as grand as that of the paintings of Cezanne's old age, is one of the keys to our century. A touchstone of modernity itself." 

"Landscape is to American painting what sex and psychoanalysis are to the American novel."
"What has our culture lost in 1980 that the avant garde had in 1890? Ebullience, idealism, confidence, the belief that there was plenty of territory to explore, and above all the sense that art, in the most disinterested and noble way, could find the necessary metaphors by which a radically changing culture could be explained to its inhabitants."
"I have never been against new art as such; some of it is good, much is crap, most is somewhere in between."
"There is virtue in virtuosity, especially today, when it protects us from the tedious spectacle of ineptitude."
"What does one prefer? An art that struggles to change the social contract, but fails? Or one that seeks to please and amuse, and succeeds?"
"An ideal museum show would be a mating of Brideshead Revisited with House & Garden, provoking intense and pleasurable nostalgia for a past that none of its audience has had."


"Drawing never dies, it holds on by the skin of its teeth, because the hunger it satisfies – the desire for an active, investigative, manually vivid relation with the things we see and yearn to know about – is apparently immortal."
"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop."
"The auction room, as anyone knows, is an excellent medium for sustaining fictional price levels, because the public imagines that auction prices are necessarily real prices."
"Can it be that the artist who paints flowers starts at a disadvantage? Almost certainly. To many people botanical subjects seem not altogether serious ... a kind of pictorial relaxation, an easy matter compared to landscape or the human figure."
"Nothing they design ever gets in the way of a work of art."
"What strip mining is to nature the art market has become to culture."



Hi Patrizio,

Good to hear you all are having a good time. Say hello to everyone. Cheers!!
Hi Carmen Miranda!

Everyone says hello! Gang are off to church to pray for my black soul! Cheers, Patrizzio El Diablo!

Hi Kjell!

I gather you will be leaving for Vancouver soon. I wish you a safe and comfortable journey! Fondestos to you and Jane from Madame Coriandre. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat,
I'm really sorry for not answering sooner, but life has been HECTIC over the last few weeks.
First the closing down of the cabin, then the Whitneys in Akalla for one week, then IFLA in Helsinki for five days, and last but not least getting prepared for my trip west. Long list. Leaving tomorrow morning. Bringing my childhood friend Christer. He'll be staying for two weeks, swapping flats with one of Jane's neighbors.
Jane's been training hard for a Lung Association charity bike ride up and down the Fraser valley 8-9 September (200 k in two days). I will form a support team. And late September I will be going, by plane, for a charity "Steinbeck tour" to Monterey organised by the VPL.
For the rest I have signed up for a French course at VCC and of course the Local Vocals. But in addition to that, I look forward to some excruciating bike rides with you and the pack, and some good times in your and your enchanting wife's spiritual company.
Take care, and see you soon, both of you, Kjell

 Hi Patrick,

On September 8th and 9th I will be taking part in the BC Lung Association Ride for Life and Breath.

It is a 200km ride through the Fraser Valley and will be a real challenge for me. Although it will difficult for me I have close relatives and a colleague who face immensely greater challenges with their own lung health.

As I train for this ride I'm more and more conscious of the blessings of my own good health. I appreciate being able to enjoy the simple pleasure of a long ride in the country. I hope that through our efforts progress can be made in defeating lung disease and providing a better life for those afflicted.

At the bottom of this email is a link where you can donate to the BC Lung Association to raise money for lung disease research, education and support programs.

Your participation plays a big role in the effort to improve the quality of life for people living with lung disease.

Any questions email me at janethelibrarian@gmail.com or call me at 604 986 8734.

Thanks for your support! Jane

Follow This Link to visit my personal web page and help me in my efforts to support British Columbia Lung Association
 
Hi Jane!

I'm not sure if Kjell passed along my last email or not but thought I'd send you part of it to spur you on on your 200K marathon! Great idea and I'd like to do some of these charity rides now that I'm the proud owner of a new carbon Trek Madone 6. I'm happy to support you in your effort to raise money for the BC Lung Association. Fondestos from Madame Coriandre. Buona Fortuna with your training. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment