Wednesday 8 August 2012

IIDS, GD: Wednesday, August 8th

Jenn and Chloë
Men are the devils of the earth and the animals are its tormented souls. -Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (1788-1860) 

Hi Chloë and Mags!

Trust that your hip is feeling better. Any word on precisely what is causing the problem of the pinched nerve? Sorry that I've not been in touch, directly, sooner. Have you been to see Mom? I assume you told Ben that we were planning to replace washer/dryer once we are back. I guess you will be seeing Marlo shortly.Love from Nana and I to you and Maggster! Cheers, Dad!


hi pat & corienne, just thought i would let you know the person we are going to see will be on monday and they fly out monday evening. pat do you think i need to get an international drivers license kev and bev

Hi again, Bev/Kev!

I wouldn't bother with an IDL. I've never had one other than on our first visit to Australia in 1991 and I didn't require it then! None of our other visitors from overseas have used them either. Don't know how much time, effort and expense go into obtaining one as I've not worried about acquiring one for over 20 years but if it isn't a big deal and makes you feel more comfortable, pick one up. In the past, the BCAA was the place to go so I assume the AAA would provide the same service.

Thanks for clarifying date you are seeing your friend. Nevertheless, unless you think otherwise, I don't think that first weekend, September Long Weekend, is a good one for a get-together with VRC folk as many people might be away for last holiday of summer. However, I'll suggest Saturday or Sunday as a possibility in case that happens to work for the majority.

With respect to wine, we prefer dry red or white. One of our favourite wineries from Margaret River is Hay Shed Hill: Sauvignon Blanc Semillon, Shiraz Tempranillo and Cabernet Sauvignon are what I remember. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Cactus and Donna Florida!

Trust you have re-integrated yourselves back into the cool climes of The Bay Area! Had a recent message from Sarge and he asked for your phone number. I gather he wants to make arrangements for their coming visit. I thought I'd simply include him in this email so that you can correspond at your mutual convenience.

Went for another grand ride yesterday. Almost poifect cycling temperature, 26° C, with quite a bit of cloud cover so it was most pleasant. Only a moderate easterly wind so I was not fighting a strong headwind for much of ride, unlike most of outings I've had since being here. I started out by heading to the South Shore, a 20K easy jaunt by the time I'd made the loop at the end of the paved surface. Gravel beyond that to the small ski hill. Then on around the townsite to push me up to 25K by the time I was on road to West Hawk. En route, a quick side-trip to Toniata, another small beach on North Shore of Falcon, to add a few more precious kilometres, before into West Hawk townsite. A dipsy-doodle to the highway exit nearbye and then down a long hill, (recently repaved so a glorious swoop at 54.4kph), to beach and then a quick turnaround to retrace my route to turn-off for Rennie River.

When planning my ride I had decided that I would investigate another option by taking Highway 312 to a small community called Ingolf. About 4K from West Hawk the turnoff for this secondary road takes one past the east shore of Caddy Lake and the Whiteshell Provincial Fish Hatchery. A few years ago I had ridden as far as the hatchery but not beyond so I was looking forward to exploring uncharted territory once I had crossed the bridge over the channel on which the hatchery is situated. (Interestingly enough, Greg, Pam's husband, grew up at the hatchery as his father worked there and was in charge of operations, towards the end of his career.) I was more than pleased at the condition of the road surface for it was in far better condition than that of the highway to Rennie. 

The rolling terrain was another matter altogether. Very picturesque with massive cliffs and bluffs of uplifted and eroded Canadian Shield rock but I encountered the steepest, by far, hill of the region, or at least of my rides hereabouts. Never really needed to use the lowest of the low gears before but was puffing pretty heavily by the time I had crested the monster grade. Had to keep my weight forward over the handlebars as I felt as if I was going to flip backwards. Don't really think that this would have happened but it certainly felt like a distinct possibility as the incline became increasingly acute!

Once past this challenge the rest of route was a delight as road took me around the edge of a small lake right into Ingolf itself where, to my surprise, the road ended. For some reason I assumed it continued to some other small town or recreational lake. In fact, learned when back at Falcon, that initially, Ingolf was only accessible by a CPR rail line. I gather that the railroad went through there in the 1880's and a lodge, off Lone Pine Lake, came later. At any rate, I circled around and made my way back the way I'd come. The return leg, from Ingolf to West Hawk was a blast as the wind was with me and it was "downhill" more or less, most of the way.

Back at West Hawk I re-rode the dipsy-doodle to the highway exit and the beach hill and then made for Falcon, passing first Star Lake, then Toniata and Faloma before doing another circuitl of the Falcon town site to register 98K before passing Fairway Crescent, turn-off to Ace Bay and the Falcon Fontainebleau, our hotel of choice at this choice resort! Making for the South Shore, I wanted to better my longest ride, since arriving, of 105.3K so I knew I'd have to push along for another 5K to end up with 108.3K on the clock. Did just that and was pleased with my average speed of 20.7K over an elapsed time of 5:13:23. To be continued...


Good thing that they did not come home and call the cops to report a B&E.  We had a great trip on the high seas and all returned home safe and sound yesterday.  Can you send me David's phone number as I need to call him to get his address.  Looking forward to our trip to Ossoyoos this weekend.  Going to be fun.
Take care and stay out of strange houses.
In George Washington's days, there were no cameras. One's image was either sculpted or painted.  Some paintings of George Washington showed him standing behind a desk with one arm behind his back while others showed both legs and both arms.  Prices charged by painters were not based on how many people were to be painted, but by how many limbs were to be painted. Arms and legs are 'limbs,' therefore painting them would cost the buyer more.. Hence the expression, 'Okay, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg.'   (Artists know hands and arms are more difficult to paint)
  
Hi Pat,

 Hope all is well and your trip is good so far.
 We are in Powassen just south of North bay visiting one of Colleen's old friends for a couple days. We've had a nice time and will head for Toronto today for a couple of days and then head home Friday evening. Further to your phone call just before we left, Gerry is fine. He's definitely quite sore and black and blue in some spots but otherwise fine. Have a great rest of your trip and we'll catch up soon.

Cheers, Al


Hi Big Al and Marilyn!

Great to hear that you are in cottage country as well! Try to take a bike ride along Lakeshore Blvd if you have the time and access to bikes. I have ridden from The Beaches to the Leslie Street Spit and always enjoyed it immensely.  Fondestos from Cora Lee to everyone! Cheers, Patrizzio!

 G'day from aus

Hope you are taking the opportunity to top up your suntans during your summer. I was thinking of you this morning while we were basking in the mid morning sunshine while having a short black at Piccolo's. Fortunately by the time we arrived there it had warmed up from the 10 degrees at sunrise, turning into a very pleasant 20 degrees with blue sky's. Unfortunately the beach you enjoyed laying about on has all but disappeared with the winter high tides and storm surges. At the seaward end of the walkways through the sand hill there is now a sand cliff of probably 3 to 4 metres to the water level. Next week the local council will start replenishing the beaches by trucking sand in and distributing with bulldozers.

Regarding our next trip while having only arrived home from Europe three weeks ago we are still shaking the dust off and toting up the credit cards, but discussions have already began about forward planning to visit you in Canada probably mid 2014. I assume this is the warmest(hottest) time of the year in your island paradise? All the best for now Tony and Elly

Elly
It is to bad to hear about the beach but I am sure that you can put it all back together.  The summer of 2014 would be an excellent time for you to visit our fair area.  We are exploring a trip to Europe during the fall of 2013 which would include a second canal boat trip.  If it would work out maybe we could plan a trip to the East Coast of Canada which could coincide with yours.

Hi Pat,

I love your whole story and in Kenton you two are celebrities everyone knows the whole story!!!! I hopefully will see you on your way through again as I am going to a festival thing as a nanny!!!! You could really be a news reporter hehe!!!
P,

Glad to learn that the bike and clip less pedals are working for ya. 
Great story of Papa & Mama Bear's folly. Hope the owner makes a full recovery from your stay and his mishap. 
We have had a perfect week of weather in paradise. Packing up today - not sure where we are headed. Fond regards to all, W
Hi Whirlygig!

Trust you are still enjoying the summer, wherever you happen to be!Best wishes from Cora Lee to The Sisterhood! Cheers, Patrizzio!
  
As incredible as it sounds, men and women took baths only twice a year (May and October) Women kept their hair covered, while men shaved their heads (because of lice and bugs) and wore wigs. Wealthy men could afford good wigs made from wool. They couldn't wash the wigs, so to clean them they would carve out a loaf of bread, put the wig in the shell, and bake it for 30 minutes.  The heat would make the wig big and fluffy, hence the term 'big wig.' Today we often use the term 'here comes the Big Wig' because someone appears to be or is powerful and wealthy.  


Dusty's garden and Her Majesty relaxing on front patio!

...Quick shower and then a scrumptious dinner of burgers and fresh green salad, (lettuce, green "bunch" onions, cukes, all from Dusty's garden, topped with Clarisse's home-made dressing), on the front patio. NO BUGS!!! For dessert, a strawberry/rhubarb, gluten-free oatmeal crumble from Rosita's kitchen, just to top off the meal! George and Barb were just back from spending the day in Winnipeg so they popped by to chat before we went inside to watch the day's Olympic coverage. I digitated, watching some of the highlights over my shoulder, while Coriandre and Rosie the Riveter read and Dusty snored in his easy chair! By 11:00pm everyone was content to go to bed so we bade one another goodnight and made for our separate bedrooms. More than pleased with the day's ride as I hope to keep increasing the distance, by at least 5K increments, to make my goal of 120K, (no ground touching allowed, especially since I've started wearing cleats), before we go to Winnipeg, next week, on Tuesday, the 14th, to visit with other friends and family before coming back out to Falcon for the weekend.

All the best from the staff and management of FLF. They have asked me to make a reservation at Villa Vicente around the 21st or 22nd of December as we will be spending two weeks, house-sitting, in Simi Valley, for Ayn's cousin and family while they are in Bora Bora! "The Canadians are coming! The Canadians are coming!" is a refrain that will oft be heard in the Berkeley/Oakland Hills from now on!!! A word to the kitchen staff:  Please start using gluten-free flour for pizzas and bread! (Her Majesty really is one pushy royal broad!). A word to the downstairs maid: No arachnids on the floor next to the washer/dryer as that is where Cora Lee's parents will be quartered! Please confirm reservations by return post!

Fondestos from everyone to you, Vincenzo, and Floridian! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Kjell!

Trust that your visit to England went well. Enjoyed reading about Bob's latest trip. I assume you received same postings for his blog. Trust we'll all be able to get together once we are back.Best wishes from Cora Lee! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Hi Mr Grizzle!

Are you en route to Burning Man? Sorry that I've not sent these snaps along sooner but I simply ran out of time before we left on Sunday, July 29th, as you can well imagine! Fondestos from Cora Lee to you and Janice! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Rosemary and Andre!

Trust that your summer is going well. Enjoyed chatting with Andre last month. Imre was pleased to have an update on "Andre The Giant"! I noticed your name, Rosemary, on one of my last LinkedIn Updates so thought I'd send along a bit of an update.Best wishes from Cora Lee! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Tinsel Town!

Sorry that I've not been in touch, directly, sooner. Simply don't know where the time goes! Love from Nana and I to you and Los Horridos! Cheers, Dad! 

hi pat:
got your message
yes, we aowned this 10 years ago and there 'might' be a few bucks from the litigation
if you are back before early sept i can send the info for you to transfer to the official doc
pls let me know
chris

Hi Chris!

Trust that your summer is going well. Thanks for the follow-up. I'll be in touch as soon as we return to Vancouver. Looks like we will be back, probably around the 24th of this month. Regards from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!

hi all:

i am away canoeing the bowron lakes, returning monday august 13th

if you have an urgent matter please call my associates bob davies or robert adams

otherwise, please leave me a note and i will call you upon my return

of note, while away i will have no access to either email or
telephone.........thx  chris



Hi Big Al!

Trust that your summer is going well. Have you been doing any fishing? I thought of you this past long weekend when some friend were casting off the dock at the cabin we were staying at. Proud angler caught his very first fish. A WHOPPER  as you can tell!Best wishes from Cora Lee! Cheers, Patrizzio!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment