Wednesday 15 August 2012

IIDS, GD: Wednesday, August 15th

Spend the afternoon. You can't take it with you. -Annie Dillard, author (b. 1945)

 ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES!

Patriçio,

I am seriously beginning to worry about you.  How did the session with the psych go?  Are you still in therapy?  As I once mentioned, my enjoyment of cycling increased immensely when I gave up on odometers, average speeds, max speeds, records of any kind and fear of the ground beneath my wheels.  If you cycle a certain distance, you get the same amount of exersize, even if you stop for a latte or to help a pretty young girl with a flat tire.  The latter is just more fun.  Furhermore, it is more manly.  To a man, the journey is more important than the destination.  It's good to push yourself.  But once in a while, try to just choose a route, leave the cursed odometer at home, enjoy the ride.

I used to be like that.  When I was into skiing, the only thing that mattered to me was getting in the most runs possible and being a better skier at the end of the day.  Lunch was a sandwich on the chair lift.  Once, I spent the entire day skiing down the ugliest mogul run on the mountain.  Pure torture.  Sure, I was better at moguls after that.  Once, a guy I was skiing with asked if I ever thought of just enjoying myself.  My response at that time was "never entered my mind".  But I was in my 20's/30's and super competative.  Thankfully, I am smarter now.

ANWAY, I am fibreglassing a roof edge on my boat, I have a riding committement with the latte pentelon, then mi compadre Juanito y yo vamos en Seattle por el juego entre los Whitcaps y los Sounders.  Entonces, voy a visitar mi tio en Anacortes por pocos dias.

I would be up for a modest ride near the end of next week.  Will give you a shout


más adelante//bjp

 Hello O Persistent Nay Sayer!

Foist and foremost, I'm delighted that you are so pit-bullish about insisting that I cannot be enjoying my rides, given my "obsession" with measurement. At least you are consistent in your misguided and misinformed, obsessive approach! In the first instance, contrary to popular, latte induced stupour/thought, I do enjoy my rides. Secondo, if you know anything about how "energy" is calculated you know I expend more energy by continuous cycling than by stopping to sip lattes!

From Wikipedia:

Humans have a high capacity to expend energy for many hours doing sustained exercise. For example, one individual cycling at a speed of 26.4 km/h (16.4 mph) across 8,204 km (5,098 mi) on 50 consecutive days may expended a total of 1,145 MJ (273,850 kcal) with an average power output of 182.5 W. (Tour de War Eagle!)

Skeletal muscle burns 90 mg (0.5 mmol) of glucose each minute in continuous activity (such as when repetitively extending the human knee),[2] generating ≈24 W of mechanical energy, and since muscle energy conversion is only 22-26% efficient,[3] ≈76 W of heat energy. Resting skeletal muscle has a basal metabolic rate (resting energy consumption) of 0.63 W/kg[4] making a 160 fold difference between the energy consumption of inactive and active muscles. For short muscular exertion, energy expenditure can be far greater: an adult human male when jumping up from a squat mechanically generates 314 W/kg, and such rapid movement can generate twice this power in nonhuman animals such as bonobos,[5] and in some small lizards.[6]


This energy expenditure is very large compared to the resting metabolism basal metabolic rate of the adult human body. This varies somewhat with size, gender and age but is typically between 45 W and 85 W.[7] [8] Total energy expenditure (TEE) due to muscular expended energy is much higher and depends upon the average level of physical work and exercise done during a day.[9] Thus exercise, particularly if sustained for very long periods, dominates the energy metabolism of the body.


So there, you Luncheon/Latte Bonobo!


Drove into Winnipeg yesterday morning and visited a close friend of the family. I have called her Aunt Vera all my life as she and her husband, Merv, were both in the same Northern Ontario mining camp, Favourable Lake, as my parents. She is extremely well and still golfs nine hole twice a week, weather permitting. Celebrated her 90th birthday this past January!

To my cousin's place that evening for dinner. Gorgeous afternoon, 26º C, so it was a grand evening for an outdoor bbq:

pork souvlaki; lemon roasted potatoes; Sally's famous greek salad; baklava


Often mosquitoes make such an event an impossibility but it has been such a dry summer, to date, that there were very few, if any, mossies, about! Picked up a bottle of Pastis as I prefer it to Ouzo, as I find the latter a bit too sweet but I do savour the anise/licorice taste of both. Wanted to find a high end retsina, (Only thing available was some plonk that helpful lad at the local Liquor Mart, (provincial liquor stores are run by a government agency, Manitoba Liquor Control Commission, here as well, [When I first came of drinking age, 21, one had to fill in a form for the liquor one wanted to purchase and hand it to a clerk behind a counter, who would collect the hootch in question. Bit like "closed book stacks" in many university and large public libraries, as late as the early '60's!]), said it tasted like Pinesol. Found a bottle, at a private wine store, Banville and Jones, close to where we are staying with Cora Lee's sister, Pam, and family, of what I hoped would be an interesting white, a 2011 Rouvalis Asprolithi Roditis, 11.5%. This is a varietal I'm not at all familiar with. Discovered, from the Web, that "it is from the northern Peloponnese, made with a particularly flavourful sub-variety of Roditis. It has discreet but fresh citrus, lime, pear and mineral aromas (asprolithi means "white stone"). It's bone dry and light bodied with vibrant acid." More than lived up to its billing! 

You'll be happy to know rain is forecast for most of the day so I'll be sipping lattes 'til the bonobos come home, in between sessions with my shrink! She keeps asking me why I have so many hostile friends! Sublimated jealousy is all that I could come up with. Malt envy was raised as well!! Cheers, Il Conduttore! 
Hi Stefano and Mad Maxi!

Pleased to learn that the "dog run" is near completion. Thanks for the 007 advice. Since the forecast is for showers for most of the day I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride. Will simply stay warm and dry and read, sipping the odd latte.! For the trip, brought along two "throwaways": Love, Janis a biography written by her sister Laura and, Riders On The Storm , drummer John Densmore's 1990 best-seller about his life and the time he spent with Morrison and The Doors. Not even sure how the books came into my possession. Neither happen to be particularly well written or gripping but I was curious to learn a bit more about these rock icons of the '60's!
Cora Lee is off to the local mall and plans to see Hope Springs with Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones. I like both of them but not particularly interested in the film. Fond regards to Kathleen and Mad Massimo. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Filmer with his tomatoe plants; Sally and Cora Lee; Filmer with souvlaki; Travis, their youngest child; dinner with homemade tzatziki and hummus.
Hi Patrick
Thanks for the update and the photo's. My you have been busy people. I am exhausted just reading about it! Yes the Olympics were very successful and we witnessed some very memorable sporting events. GB did exceptionally well but I think all home nationals have that little edge by having such incredible home support. I think what is so encouraging for Great Briton is that medals came from accross all sports.Marnie and a friend went to Greenwich Park to see the equestrian cross country events and said both the venue and organisation was superb. Even London's very extensive but ancient transport system coped well!

You have certainly been clocking up the mileage on your new bike! I have been told that having cleats does make a difference to one's ride and having a lighter bike certainly helps. You just may have convinced me to give them a try! Will have to see if the old bank account can withstand a new bike purchase when we return from Vancouver!
 Your Goldilocks story was very funny. Imagine if they had turned up in the middle of the night what excitement that would have been! Reminds me of a time when Gayle and I lived in Ottawa. A developer had just built some luxury detached properties and townhouses around the Ottawa Hunt Club golf course so Gayle and I decided to go and look at their model homes. The prices were way out of our league but we were just being curious. We looked around the magnificent detached model home complete with swimming pool then decided to go and look at the townhouses. We walked through the door and was greeted by a fine circular staircase. The kitchen was straight ahead with fine view over the golf course, there was a living room to the right and a dining room to the left. We wandered into the living room which was beautifully decorated and I remarked to Gayle how unusual to have a model home decorated to such a high standard even down to what looked like family framed photos on the desk. I sat down in one of the comfortable chairs taking in the air of calm. Then we started towards the dining room. As we walked accross the foyer a lady looked over the upper floor banister and said "can I help you". "No thanks" I replied, "only looking around". "This is a PRIVATE house" came the curt reply with the emphasis on private! The model home was next door! After a few sheepish appologies we made a dash for the door. Never did see the model home.

We just returned from a few days in Southampton. Had a nice time visiting the little grandson and taking the dog for some nice walks in the New Forest. We did a nice walk the day before we left to Bucklers Hard. This is a little hamlet about three miles from the very pretty village of Beaulieu. It forms part of the 9000 acre Beaulieu Estate owned by the Monagu family. The hamlet was originally built by the second Duke of Montagu and was the birthplace of many British naval vessels including some from Admiral Nelson's fleet which fought in the battle of Trafalgar. They used the timber from the trees in the New Forest to build the vessels. The present Lord Montagu lives on the edge of the village of Beaulieu in Palace House (originally built in 1204 and added to over the centuries). It has bee the ancestral home of the Montagu's since the 1500's and was originally the gatehouse for the Beaulieu Abbey which, after the dissolution of Monasteries by Henry VIII, feel into disrepair and is now largely a ruin. The present Lord Montagu has a fabulous collection of vintage cars which is open to the public. Palace House and the Abbey is also open to the public. The village of Beaulieu is very unspoilt and the little streets are populated with forest ponies and donkeys which, of course roam freely in the New Forest. They have right of way over vehicles which makes a refreshing change to our hectic modern existence!

Spent yesterday in the garden weeding and pruning. Planted some runner beans this year and we have now started harvesting. Quite delicious but I think we will be eating runner beans each day for quite some time!

I finally gave up on the idea of fixing our poor rotting porch myself. My DIY skills do not extend to the expertise required I'm afraid so I had to concede defeat and get someone in to rebuild it. They will start when we return from Vancouver. Another unplanned expense!

We have had some very nice weather but today it is chucking it down. We are off to town to do some shopping to get a few things to take over to the Canadian children.Best wishes to you both
Hi Derek!

Certainly enjoyed your fascinating and most welcome, detailed account of the time near the village of Beaulieu and the Estate owned by the Monagu family. What a delight to be so readily and relatively easily immersed in the historical past. Furthermore, I really chortled about your response to the owner's question! Talk about Chutzpah on your part! Since the forecast is for showers for most of the day I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride. (By the way, you are more than welcome to try a spin on my new bike while you are in Vancouver, just to get some idea of the feel of carbon fibre.) Will simply stay warm and dry and read, sipping the odd latte! For the trip, brought along two "throwaways": Love, Janis a biography written by her sister Laura and, Riders On The Storm , drummer John Densmore's 1990 best-seller about his life and the time he spent with Morrison and The Doors. Not even sure how the books came into my possession. Neither happen to be particularly well written or gripping but I was curious to learn a bit more about these rock icons of the '60's!

Fond regards to you and Gayle from the cinema goer. Buona Fortuna with the porch. We had a note from Chloë shortly after leaving Vancouver in which she mentioned that the tenant in the rental loft wondered if we might consider replacing the washer/dryer. Appliances are almost 14 years old so not unexpected or an unreasonable request. However, as you say, "unplanned", particularly coming after the extended overseas trip and all the expense it entailed! Nevertheless, we will make arrangements for new units once back in Vancouver. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi Patrizzio,

We are well and it's great to hear from you! 
Fro the bb, any of the suggested weekday dates in early Sep sound good for us. How long has Kevin been gone 20 years? - it will be terrific to see him again.
Last time that I can remember seeing Fred was in the Cambie liquor store when Denise was expecting julie (nearly 19 yrs old) and he kindly let D. use the staff toilet there.
We arrived home last night from a month in Ireland and the UK -we did the rounds of family and friends and attended some Olympic events.
Also, we are going up to the OK valley in early Oct for the wine festival -never been up there at that time of year.

Looking forward to seeing you in early Sep  Bill & Denise.
Hi Denise and Bill!

Welcome home! Wonderful that you will be able to join us. Look forward to catching up and certainly hearing about your trip to Ireland/England and the Summer Olympic experience. I did see fast Freddy a few years ago, before he moved to VI. Of course, we have seen Bev/Kev more recently than you, first in 2003 and then again in 2006, although about an initial twenty year gap as well! Fond regards to you both from the cinema goer. Will be in touch once back in Vancouver. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi Patrick,

This is just a quick update to let you know what is going on in my life as a writer.

Junkie keeps getting stellar reviews but has not yet made the big breakthrough. I am working on trying to get some of the bigger reviewers to take a look. If you happen to know any reviewers, please let me know.

I have finished the second draft of Oboe and it is currently with my editor in New York. As I wait, with bated breath, for her feedback, I am writing the next book in the series and have done about 20% of the first draft. It is as yet unnamed and I am very excited about how it is developing.

There is some new stuff on my website. For reviews of some good books which I have recently read, you can check out my website here.

If you haven't yet read Junkie or if you have read it and would like to help me out by doing a quick review, you can do so here.

On the home front, all is well and Sam continues to grow like a weed; he seems to double his vocabulary every week. I can hardly believe that he is twenty months old.

Enjoy the balance of the summer (or winter if you are down under).

Cheers, Robert. On Twitter? You can follow me @robertpfrench.

Hi Robert!

I'm more than impressed with your output. Here is a quick update to let you know what is going on in my life as a cyclist! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Fabulous Greek Food People!

Thanks so much, from both of us, for the wonderful, wonderful meal and most pleasant evening!  Will chat, at the very least, before we head home. Thanks again. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Goils!

Enjoyed a simply wonderful, wonderful meal and most pleasant evening with Sally, Filmer and Travis. Filmer is on a course of medication which has made him feel the best he has ever felt in literally years! It is so heart-warming to see him be able to move about and do things which were beyond him before. He has even returned his hospital bed and walker as he doesn't require them, at least in the foreseeable future. He can walk up the stairs to their second floor, to their bedroom, a feat way beyond his capability last year! Off to Ken's/Sandy's for dinner this evening. Love, Fondestos and Cheers, Dad!


 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment