Wednesday 29 August 2012

IIDS, GD: Wednesday, August 29th, Mother Died!

Moderate giftedness has been made worthless by the printing press and radio and television and satellites and all that. A moderately gifted person who would have been a community treasure a thousand years ago has to give up, has to go into some other line of work, since modern communications put him or her into daily competition with nothing but world's champions. -Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., novelist (1922-2007)


For the first time ever, The Southern Hemisphere International Rugby Championship came to Mendoza this past Saturday. Giants from the South Africa Springboks played against behemoths from the host Argentina Pumas in Mendoza’s picturesque Parque San Martin in the city center.

"Adversity has the same effect on a man that severe training has on the pugilist -- it reduces him to his fighting weight." Josh Billings, columnist and humorist (1818-1885).

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 8:34 AM, George Maddison wrote:

 Mark,

Thanks for the paddle yesterday – it was a pleasure. My ride back was a bit of a grunt against a west wind.

Let me know if you can ride Thursday. Afternoon is probably better for me. We may be riding is scattered showers – more likely a scattered forecast.

NRBC (Book Club) on the 9th of September. G

August-29-12 10:22 AM Hi Laura, sorry you can't come on Saturday. If you can drop in for a quick visit that would be great.Your dad is coming at 6pm but we will be home after 4. XXOO Corinne
my boss gave me the nicest card for my one year anniversary here at Crown Media...so happy and grateful to be here, be creative and be appreciated each day
MOM DIED!

August-29-12 2:04 PM  George,
Probably not - I have too much on. Thanks for including me. I'll be able to get going again soon. Ray


Hi Patrick                                                                                          August-29-12 3:32 PM

Back to couch potato mode , I am watching the opening ceremony of the Paralympic Games. Don't think we shall be seeing so much of these games but will be watching the medal table again which is somewhat pathetic really.

Good that the bike investment seems to be working out for you. Ed our son-in-law bought himself a "racer" though not an expensive one. He brought it to our Lake District holiday and we did some cycling in addition to walking. Unfortunately my gears had suddenly decided to give up on me and I was restricted to only two gears rather than the usual 21.  The distances and probably the speeds did not compare with yours though I was quite pleased with one ascent using only the two gears. The neighbouring Hardknott and Wrynose Passes are a challenge for motorists let alone cyclists though I did see a group begin the first ascent.

One of my Christmas gifts was a book called "Wild Swimming" of which we found some locations in Eskdale where we were staying. Richard our son came up for a few days and with the two young men I foolishly tried some pools in the mountain streams- extremely cold and I had to beat a hasty retreat to the rocks at times. Other parties were sensibly using wet suits.

Bagging Wainwright ( author of guides to the Lakeland fells) peaks in the Lake District has become a bit of a competition between Ed and his two brothers and now Richard. Ed and Richard went up 4 new peaks  for them on a miserably cold and wet day when fortunately I had decided to host my sister and brother-in-law at the cottage. I did manage a couple of smaller peaks with the "boys" a couple of days before and a walk with the whole family to a waterfall and mountain tarn.

There were several pubs in the valley(still) and two of them were advertising their range of malts- one claiming between 175 and 200 different malts. We had dinner in two of them but stuck with the cask ales.

Ray has just Skyped me and brought me up to date on his kitchen and more importantly his plans to buy a bike to challenge you. We even discussed average speeds- I shall have to get my speedometer working again.

My sporting investment has continued with the purchase of a pair of minimalist running shoes which are supposed to offer the advantages of barefoot running without the discomfort/pain- I even tried them out this evening. I have asked Ray to check Arthur Chapman's views on this subject which as far as I am concerned began with the book "Born to Run". I note that all the running shoe manufacturers are in on this band-wagon which is in contrast to their previous stance on offering more and more heel support.

As you can see I am still putting some effort in between the Americanos and beers.

I have just realised in penning this that I am at risk of sounding like I am trying to build on  the example set for me by my namesake tri-athletes who of course train in this part of the world- the Wharfe valley.

I look forward to hearing of how Ray, George and you are upping the ante of the bikes.

Best wishes to you both. Jim and Chris
 
Dear Patrick,

You have been assigned as a Distribution volunteer for the 2012 Vancouver Writers Fest. 

As soon as possible, please log in to myVolunteerPage.com and click on the Assignments tab.
If this assignment is good for you, please check CONFIRM.
If you are unable to confirm your assignment as a Distribution 2012 volunteer, please check DECLINE.
If your availability, interests, custom fields, or qualifications have changed, please update your profile. Make sure that you have answered YES to the question "Are you available as a 2012 volunteer?"

Please note that you can log hours this year...

Many thanks, and our apologies if this message seems redundant. We've had to do some jiggling with our scheduling software this afternoon and need to reconfirm our Distribution 2012 volunteers. Thank you for your patience!


Kathryn Fowler, Volunteer Manager & Lili Okuyama, Volunteer Assistant and Distribution Co-ordinator

Hi Corrine and Patrick                                                                                     August-29-12 7:48 PM

Glad to hear from you and that you had a good time with Lynne and Peter in Naramata.   I know you didn't pick up ant more wine as there was no more room in the Ford.  We have finished two bottles of the Larch Hills product and must say it is not bad.

It is sad to see Mom in her current condition but she must have comfort with your visits.  Barb and I have both been through this with our parents and 99 is a great achievement.  We trust she is comfortable.  It is our turn next and we just hope we don't have to put to much stress on our family when the time arrives.  One must do everything to the max whilst one can.  We know you and Corrine are in that mode.

We would love to have you as neighbours in Mexico this winter and will certainly try and connect on the Island in September. Take care and give Mom a hugh from us. Talk to you soon. Barb and Lynn

Chloe Alexis Dunn
Sadly my Grandma Dunn passed away today, she lived a great life and would have been 99 on the 22nd of September. Love you Grames!!!! xxxxxxxxxx
·
 At Scopa again!


No comments:

Post a Comment