Friday 27 July 2012

IIDS: Friday, July 27th

The big thieves hang the little ones. -Czech proverb 

 

 Hi Giggster!

After I made bail, (No thanks to you or Mr. Grizzle!), I talked to Robo Man and we'll phone around 8:00am to discuss ride, weather permitting, sine die so to speak. Otherwise, we should be in for a larruping, (From larrup (to beat or thrash), of uncertain origin. Perhaps from Dutch larpen (to thrash), good Dutch ride with Team Holland! Cheers, Il Conduttore, or should I say, De Kapelmeester!!!

P,

Too bad you made bail. Are they holding one very orange bike?

Sadly, I won’t be able to ride today. I played a match yesterday and my leg is hobbled again. I will be off the court for the next three weeks and hope that will heal this nagging issue.

My plan, assuming I can shake the terrier off my leg, is to ride very early tomorrow (Saturday) morning.

Enjoy your ride today, W
 Hi Famiglia Gray!

Trust everyone is well and that the graduation was a wonderful event. Sorry we couldn't have joined the festivities BUT we are headed your way shortly. We are going to leave for Winnipeg early on Sunday morning. I hope by 4:00am as I'd like to make Calgary and want to visit my favourite wine/malt store, Kensington Market, before it closes! We would like to see you on Monday evening and stay over, if that is convenient. If not, perhaps we can arrange something in Winnipeg, (If you ever visit the city!), or else catch you on way back to Vancouver. We will be back in at The Islay Inn by August 24th or 25th as Cora Lee has an important meeting on the 28th. Just in time to clean up the house, before our guests from Perth arrive, at the end of August, after Chloë has been living here for three weeks! 

Has been a very, very  busy last few weeks or so, beginning on July 17th when Ayn flew up from LA to be part of festivities for her Mother's 65th on the 19th. That evening we toasted Cora Lee with a bottle of Sandhill Pinot Blanc, (I had put a bottle of Champagne in fridge when I came back from my ride and then into the freezer, after my shower, in to make sure it was cold enough. Chloë didn't know about the bubbly so she opened the aforementioned PB and I completely forgot about the bottle in the freezer with all the commotion surrounding birthday toasts and the opening of the gifts. It finally struck me the next morning and I rushed to the freezer to find a shattered bottle with Champagne ice-cream sprayed all over the shelf the bottle had rested upon! Had to be quite careful cleaning up as there were shards of glass everywhere.), and she opened her gifts before Sarge dropped us off at Vij's. 


There was a long waiting list so after Chloë out her name on the list  we went for a stroll to visit her friend Katie who lives only three or four blocks away. It was a most pleasant evening and so walk was lovely. Her young daughter, Emma, was just finishing her bath, and she and Brian, her husband, brought Emma into the courtyard and we visited there. There place is quite small and it was baking inside, apparently. We had a brief visit. Ayn had never met Emma or Brian before so she was pleased at the opportunity to do so. Auntie Chloë let Emma use her fan, (a gift from our friend Toshi, in Japan), and then we waved goodbye and returned to Vij's.

Had to wait on the patio outside but it was delightful. We sipped on a Laughing Stock Pinot Gris and snacked on the delish, complimentary appetizers brought around. Were seated at around 9:30pm and proceeded to confirm our meal selections. We'd all had time to peruse menu while waiting and as soon as a few questions we asked, our choices were made known to the kitchen. Ayn and I shared the Samosas filled with lamb and beef sauteed in fennel, cloves and sumac, Cora Lee and Chloë the Curried chickpeas and sweet potatoe-ricotta "cookies". For mains, Cora Lee chose the Wine marinated lamb popsicles in fenugreek cream curry on tumeric and spinach potatoes; Ayn decided upon the Beef shortribs braised in yogurt, tomatoe and cumin curry; Chloë ordered the Sang-paneer with Punjabi daal and chapati and I was set to have the Rajasthani style goat meat with mildly spiced vegetables.

 There was a long waiting list so after Chloë out her name on the list  we went for a stroll to visit her friend Katie who lives only three or four blocks away. It was a most pleasant evening and so walk was lovely. Her young daughter, Emma, was just finishing her bath, and she and Brian, her husband, brought Emma into the courtyard and we visited there. There place is quite small and it was baking inside, apparently. We had a brief visit. Ayn had never met Emma or Brian before so she was pleased at the opportunity to do so. Auntie Chloë let Emma use her fan, (a gift from our friend Toshi, in Japan), and then we waved goodbye and returned to Vij's.

Had to wait on the patio outside but it was delightful. We sipped on a Laughing Stock Pinot Gris and snacked on the delish, complimentary appetizers brought around. Were seated at around 9:30pm and proceeded to confirm our meal selections. We'd all had time to peruse menu while waiting and as soon as a few questions we asked, our choices were made known to the kitchen. Ayn and I shared the Samosas filled with lamb and beef sauteed in fennel, cloves and sumac, Cora Lee and Chloë the Curried chickpeas and sweet potatoe-ricotta "cookies". For mains, Cora Lee chose the Wine marinated lamb popsicles in fenugreek cream curry on tumeric and spinach potatoes; Ayn decided upon the Beef shortribs braised in yogurt, tomatoe and cumin curry; Chloë ordered the Sang-paneer with Punjabi daal and chapati and I was set to have the Rajasthani style goat meat with mildly spiced vegetables.

Ordered another bottle of the Laughing Stock PG while Ayn continued with trying different cocktails. She had an Indian mojito and a Bombay sake on the patio and wanted the Dark Army with dinner. I had a sip of each and liked them all! During the course of the meal, I toasted the new BC Gold Card Holder and we sang a very, very muted version of For She's a Jolly Good Fellow, much to the relief of the Birthday Goil! Food was truly delicious and we declined dessert, content to let our tummies settle on walk home. We were at Granville, just before bridge, at 11:30pm and I asked group if they still wanted to see The Dark Knight Rises at the midnight screening! (While I was in the shower, Chloë had shouted to ask me if I wanted to go to this showing and even then I knew it was far too much activity piled on top of everything, especially after the 65.33K ride earlier that day and what I imagined the alcohol intake might be that evening!) All I received, for my trouble, were nasty glares from The SIsterhood! At least from this point on, they couldn't complain about sore feet! Back home to wish Coriandre Happy Birthday again and then goodnight to all as everyone made straight for bed. All in all quite a 65th Birthday Day! 


Even without The Senior's celebration there were all sorts of other gatherings and bbqs. Ayn was busy with a Vogt get together on Friday and Saturday, (Chloë was at a concert with friend Krissy on Friday night, (outdoors at Deer Lake, Florence and The Machine), and they didn't get home until 3:30am! Nice to be young, young and foolish or is that young and stupid!), so we drove up to Squamish to attend an annual summer party hosted by close friends, Ruth and Rick. I cycled out to Horseshoe Bay at 1:30pm and Cora Lee collected me there at 3:30pm. On Sunday, did the reverse. She dropped me at HB and I rode back home. Bit easier on return leg so I decided to do a spin around Stanley Park before making for The Island Inn. Lovely day though it threatened rain all the way from Squamish to Granville Island. One way trip is about 37K but I was able to push distance up to 51.33K with added leg around SP Seawall. Had a farewell bbq for Ayn that evening and rain held off so most of evening was spent on the patio. A number of her friends she'd not seen in some time were able to attend so she was delighted to catch up with them, as well as with other friends of ours whom she knows well.


Great parties and a wonderful visit, overall. (Cora Lee was exhausted by time Ayn left this past Moday afternoon and had her pajamas on by 8:30pm!) Pretty well non-stop even after that. Last night we had three couple for another bbq and Cora Lee took a quick trip to Vancouver Island today, (She will stay overnight.), to visit a close friend, Jessica, from Fresno, visiting her mother in Duncan. Friday evening Beckster and Kid Chelene, (Flamin's youngest son), are having their housewarming party. They live in Port Coquitlam and we'll be driving out after 6:00pm when Chloë finishes work. On Saturday afternoon/evening Cora Lee is on Parking Duty at Trinity, for Celebration of Light, fireworks display from a barge in English Bay. Church collects parking fees for First United, etc. Hope she's not too late as I'll never drag her out of bed at 3:30am!

Let me know what works for you people with respect to us staying overnight on Monday, July 30th. If you won't be around or have no room/time for Freeloaders, we'll simply continue on to Winnipeg, so don't worry about your West Coast relatives! Cheers, Patrizzio!                                                       Pics: Dinner at Vij's; Ayn with Mom.

Hi Rotorless Whirlygig!

Terribly sorry to hear that you are still suffering from hobbleitis. With any luck, the terrier isn't rabid! Of course, I need not say, "I told you so!", as The Sisterhood would be quite pleased to do. It's just a little muscle pull and playing more, sooner, will help the recovery process. Gaia Forbid that you should take a rest, already! What does he know from phlebitis. A clot, a blood clot straight to the brain next, already! Oi Vey. Cora Lee bring me the malt already, I think I'm having a heart attack just thinking about Giggenheimer and his pressure stockings. Oi Vey!

Too, too bad that you didn't sign up for Deep Cove as we really needed your cellulare. Not that it would have helped as neither Robo Man nor I carry one, as you well know, but just the thought of one rider having a mobile is rather comforting. We set off from the Heart Break Patio at 9:20am and had only been on the Seawall for 4 seconds, (I LOVE my new odometre!), when Lothario Banks recognized a former colleage from Kits High and was deep into palaver until Science World. Doesn't seem to need any props these days! 

All went well over Lions Gate and into North Van, Esplanade, train tracks, etc, until we came to intersection leading up Lilloet. Raymondo stopped for red light just before bridge leading to that busy intersection but I, (being on my lightning steed), managed to squeeze through. We couldn't take narrow sidewalk as just as we approached the bridge deck a older Chinese lady with a large parcel came along sidewalk, taking up most, if not all of it. I continued on and when I turned right I found myself on Mount Seymour Parkway. I didn't really want to go on it as it is very busy, although there is a decent, designated Bike Lane. At any rate, I turned right before the first set of lights and dipsy-doodled into the Superstore parking lot. Just as I did, I saw Robo Man shooting along MSP. By the time I had extricated myself from the shopping area, Raymondo was out of sight. I didn't know if he had turned off or just where he had gone, (There are a number of possibilities for right turns that would have taken us to Dollarton but I wasn't sure if those streets connected, at the time.), so I decided I'd just continue on, not having ever cycled that stretch before.

In fact, I think it is a tougher ride than Dollarton. The first grade goes on forever and there is a roller-coaster of small hills all the way along until the fairly steep descent where MSP meets Dolalrton. About ten or fifteen minutes after we lost contact I thought I spied a lone rider, probably one or two kilometres ahead. In fact, it was Raymundo and I caught up to him somewhere around Mount Seymour Road when he stopped to ask directions. Few laughs and then on into Deep Cove, about 38K and a little over two hours. Thought we were headed into rain as we both felt a few drops as we were on Esplanade but nothing developed.

Took Dollarton back, basically retracing our earlier approach route. Neither of us were looking forward to the Lions Gate but even with the strong cross-wind, (Hard to believe, but we literally fought a south easterly, don't ask me how, for entire ride!), it wasn't too, too bad. Managed to break 50K on downhill from Prospect Point so was pleased as I'd not been able to do so, of late, on my hybrid.  Around Science World and then after Granville Island Robo Man took 1st for home and I made my way out to UBC. I had decided that I'd like to try for 100K even though this was not an "official" ride, given lack of quorum!

Enjoyed breezing along as wind was somewhat at my back and had 82K on the clock at the bottom of The Foreshore Hill. I rode onto Marine just by the Botanical Gardens and then turned left to head back. Hill itself is 2K and it's 2K top to the corner just past the last Totem residence. Must admit, I was a bit tired but overall, I was truly chuffed at how I felt and how bike felt. Even managed 54K down hill and it was into gale force winds, let me tell you. Rest of ride along Spanish Banks wasn't all that pleasant. I felt like King Lear raging at the storm!

Once I was back on 4th I didn't have to buck quite as much wind and Point Grey Road was similar. Felt better closer I was to home. Had to laugh at a few die-hard sun-bathers at Kits Beach. Stiff wind was blowing sand into the faces of the 92lb weaklings trying to play volleyball! Made a slight detour around Reckless, (Lest I be seen on a competitor's product!), and rolled to a stop a HBT with 103.3K on the gismo. (I was quite dismayed to discover that the distance is only displayed in tenths, (I'm sure the Peleton, if it ever rides again, will be delighted to learn that this is the case!),  so I will probably have to mount my old odometer on the new bike!

However, a plethora of stats:
Elapsed time: 5:20:13
Max speed: 54.1
Average speed: 19.3
Haven't figured out the cadence yet!

We are off to Kid Chelene's housewarming, in Coquitlam, as soon as Chloë is finished her shift at 6:00pm. I'm driving so I won't be imbibing. Nevertheless, not quite sure about tomorrow's ride. When were you planning to head out? Send me a message and I'll read it tonight when we are back. I think I could manage 8:00am but if you need an earlier start then I'll probably just work my ride into tomorrow's errands. I do hope your leg is feeling better. Cheers, Il Conduttore!
P,

Great riding - regret having missed the run to DC. Almost losing Raymondo - another reason we need the tether on Ray.

Thanks for pics - what a handsome crew.

If I am able bodied I may ride at 7:am. If I can ride later, I will let you know by e-mail in the morning. RW

glad you enjoyed dinner. the marinade was gluten free soya sauce, mirin, and sake,
in equal parts. thanks so much for the tasty dessert.
Love my card from Tia it is going up on the bulletin bd to be enjoyed for longer.
see you in Sept. Best Corinne

Corinne,

Thanks for the recipe. I just read your note to Tia and she was chuffed.

Enjoy the drive and your time in Manitoba. Please give our best wishes to your parents.

See you in September, George, Kerry & Tia



 After the trellis systems have been put in place a backhoe digs ditches perpendicular to all of the rows for the pipes. Hoses run off from the pipes under the rows where the vines will be planted. Francisco said they are using over 180 miles of hoses for the expansion. All of the hoses are bought with holes pre-cut in them. The holes are a little under 2 feet apart and need to line up with a vine. When the hoses are flowing they allow 13 drops of water every 10 seconds. Every plant gets 4 liters of water per day.
Planting the vines is the last and arguably the most important part of a vineyard. All of the vines need to soak in a large bin for 24 hours to remove pathogens. The ground they will be planted in is also watered for one full day. As workers plant each vine they push on the graft to ensure its strength. If a graft is not strong the vine is replaced. The vines are planted between 10 and 14 inches deep.
There is an average of 2,400 vines per acre of land. One person can plant about 200 vines a day. The roots start to grow one month after being planted. That movement underground is matched by the sight of the vines’ first leaves above ground. Over the course of 2 years the vines grow grapes.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment