Tuesday 10 July 2012

IIDS: Tuesday, July 10th

Every human being's essential nature is perfect and faultless, but after years of immersion in the world we easily forget our roots and take on a counterfeit nature. -Lao-Tzu, philosopher (6th century BCE) 




Lads,

The kayaking was divine – three hours on the water -- good instructor and great equipment.
I should be okay for the early start for Wednesday. I will confirm this evening. W


Hi Kayak People!

Fabulous, invaluable reconnaissance snaps! Mallory and Bullock have nothing on you, the more than fearless and intrepid explorers of the majestically sheers cliffs of Callaholly, the dangerous shores of Jug Island and the furthest reaches of Burrard Inlet! When is Into the Aqua, (as opposed to Into the Maltage!), to be released? Perhaps we should suggest this be the next selezzione for the NRBC!

Fine work but a word about your sherpas, Raybuk Tenzing  and Norgay Patrichiri, who laboured, tirelessly, to provision you before you set off, might have been in order! Cheers, The Barnet Maritime Park Society President, Il Conduttore!



Hello Cora Lee and Patrick,
Thank you for your mail. We are looking forward to meet you.
We meet each other at the airport as you wrote.
We rent a car at the airport and we will follow you.
See you very soon.
Met vriendelijke groet, Karin Harkema
Hi again, Karin and Jaap!


Thanks for your last message. I didn't realize that you were renting a car at the airport. If you have already made arrangements to do so, that is fine. Will you fly from Vancouver, at some point, to continue east, or will you use same car to drive to Rockies? I believe you plan to do this, if I'm not mistaken. If you will not be returning the car to YVR than you might as well rent it closer to where we live otherwise you will probably have to return it to YVR. Not necessarily, as I suppose it depends on each company's policy etc. You will know best, naturally. For the time you are in Vancouver you really don't need a car. In fact, parking is much like Amsterdam! You are welcome to use our bicycles and those of our friends and neighbours. Among other things, I think you would enjoy cycling the Seawall near our place, even into the downtown part of the city, although you can easily take the bus or even walk there as well. 

The point of my query is that if you are going to go ahead with renting a car at YVR upon arrival, there is really no point in me coming to the airport to meet you. It is very easy to drive from there to our home. I wouldn't suggest it if it was not the case. I will send you driving instructions from YVR to our building. If we decide upon this course of action, I'll keep a look-out for you in the Visitor's Parking Lot. Best if you phone from the Car Rental Office before you leave to give me a better idea of when to expect you. About 30 minutes from YVR, depending on traffic of course.

However, if you still feel you'd like me to "guide" you, I'm quite prepared to do so. Just let me know your preference and we'll plan accordingly. I trust this makes a modicum of sense!!! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Karin and Jaap! Let me know if these instructions are sufficient! Cheers, Patrizzio!




1.Head south on Grant McConachie Way E3.8 km
2.Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Granville Street E/City Centre/Centre-ville/BC-99 N and merge onto SW Marine Dr800 m
3.Continue onto Granville St6.5 km
4.Turn right onto BC-7 E180 m
5.Turn left onto Hemlock St400 m
6.Continue onto W 4th Ave150 m
7.Turn right onto Anderson St170 m
8.Take the 1st right onto Lameys Mill Rd Destination will be on the left350 m

Show on Google Maps
Google Maps

Hello again,
We did indeed rent a car and we can deliver it in Calgary.
From our trip 3 years ago to Canada we bought a navigation system for a car.
I think it is oké so.
What we need is your home adress so we can find it with the navigation system. And perhaps your phone number, just in case....
Just heard from Jaap we allready have it. Haha..
We give you a call when we are at the airport. So you have an idea in what time we are at your place.
I think it will be okay so. Met vriendelijke groet, Karin Harkema

Hi, once more, Karin and Jaap!

Great that you are so organized with GPS! Just in case:  604-734-9200, #20-1425 Lamey's Mill Road, Vancouver, BC, V6H 3W2.

If all goes well with flight landing on time, (13:15), C&I, baggage and car rental, (14:15-14:30), you should take about thirty minutes, (+ or -, depending on traffic and wrong turns, Recalculation!), from when you leave YVR. Based on my "rough" estimate, you will probably pull into our Parking Lot somewhere between 3:00-3:30pm. As I suggested, give me a call just before you leave the rental desk. By then I'll have a better idea of time it will take you and I can adjust my "look-out" time. Later in afternoon traffic usually picks up so trip may be a slower but nothing to worry about as it will not be a weekday rush hour scenario!

Hi Corinne and Patrick,

This is a very belated thank you for a great evening at the Island Inn on the holiday weekend.  I really enjoyed meeting Stephen, Lynn and Peter, and of course some quality time with the Sutherlands is always fun.  Yummy food and drinks, and not bad card playing. 
I saw General Petreos last Friday night and he was lamenting missing you two and wishes to schedule some dinner and bridge.  He and I have a tiny bit of overlap in July, and then August should be more open for socializing for him, he will be here for most of the month unlike his half east/half west existence these days.
Corinne, are you working at WISH this week and if so are you driving?  I have a couple of things to drop off and could take them there directly or if you are heading over I can drop them with you.  And.....I think one of you has a July birthday?????
That's my update, cheers and thanks again, Legs


Hi Legs!

I gather you made it home without incurring any damage to your beloved dish, smarting as you were from the bridge drubbing!!

Foist, Cora Lee ain't at WISH this week but you are welcome to drop things off here if more convenient. Thanks.

Cora Lee turns 65 on July 19th. Ayn will be flying up from LA on the 17th to be part of earth-shattering event! She leaves on the 23rd and we "might go the Victoria, mid-week, after that. Not sure because of timing for trip to Winnipeg. If we don't go to Victoria, would a mid-week game of outlandish bidding be on for you and Generalissimo? 

One reason we might not go to Victoria before we leave for Pegville is that we will be cat/house-sitting for The Millionaires from September 16th to the 26th. You might want to think about visiting then, as there is more than enough room for a battalion, led by Ole GP hisself, if he's is interested as well. Plenty to do, cycling is great and hot tub and massage chair await after gruelling hills of Fairwinds. You could put your Sedona skills to work there if you decide that is the activity of choice! Anyway, do a bit of mullage, (as opposed to muleage!), about that as well as earlier bridge connezzione and let me know how schedules might mesh. Fondestos, l'chaim, Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Lurch and Grogg!

I gather Cora Lee has confirmed that we will cat and house sit from September 15th to the 26th. Maggie wants to come now! "If Molly can go, why can't I!" she meowed pathetically as soon as we told her that she would have to stay with Chloë.

Had been meaning to send rest of pics along but couldn't seem to find the time. Just returned from seeing Woody's latest, To Rome With Love. Cora Lee and I, and Joanne, neighbour, loved it but Sarge didn't like subtitles! Don't think Flamin' enjoyed it as much as we did either. Getting ready for the Folk Fest and looks like weather will co-operate, Dutch friends arrive on Sunday afternoon so will be a busy time with Ayn flying into town on 17th. 

Thanks again for all the wonderful wine, food and good times. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Lads!

I'll be at Maple and 25th at 8:00am. Cheers, Patrizzio!



See you at 8. Ray


Hi Patrice,
Too bad I didn’t hear about the Burnaby leg of your outing as I might have joined up. I am heading to Kerrisdale tomorrow although not by bike, I’ll check out those two places and see if I see you.
Take care, Al

Hi Big Al!

Perhaps we can have a latte if not a ride! Cheers, Patrizzio!




No comments:

Post a Comment