Wednesday 11 July 2012

IIDS: Wednesday, July 11th

Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage. -Ray Bradbury, writer (1920-2012)



Hi Jill!

How lovely to hear from you and see that you are continuing to do exciting things! Trust all goes well with the 
Skopelos International Film Festival for Youth: An international film festival for youth on the island of Skopelos. Directors from all over the world come to work with local students to create short films. Students learn to act, direct, edit, work with a camera and write a scenario.


See you there. W


See you there at 8: AM. G

Hi Ariane!

How lovely to hear from you and see the delightful movie of the boys! Trust all goes well. Loads to tell about our latest trip to HK, Oz and Japan, three months by time we were home. Had a wonderful time with TNT and enjoyed celebrating Trev's 65th. We are heading to Winnipeg around the end of this month, back about the third week of August. Any chance you will be around? If so, perhaps we could pop by, on way through, coming or going, to say hello and catch up. Let me know what might work when you have a moment.

Have done some great rides over the past week or so. Am actually in the process of looking for a carbon fibre bike. With friend Robo Ray, visited five stores last week and we went to WestPoint Cycles, on West Blvd, today, after we road out to Iona. Glorious day for such a ride. Tried two bikes but am concerned about having to bend over with down-turned, "racing" handlebars. I sit up pretty straight and high on my present hybrid. Was excited to learn that a new carbon fibre hybrid is now available and we'll "test drive" them on Monday. In the spirit of hoping to do the Penticton Gran Fondo next year, I bought new pedals to accept cleats on the shoes I bought at MEC a few Saturdays ago. Haven't tried them yet but will as soon as I have a moment to change pedals. Don't know where time goes!

At Folk Fest all this coming weekend and Dutch family we met a number of years ago, in Parry Sound, of all places, arrive on Sunday for a few days. Cora Lee's 65th next week and Ayn is flying up from LA to be part of celebration. Friends from Perth, WA, arrive at the end of August for two weeks. Hoping to spend a month or more in Panama in Jan/Feb of next year and then a house exchange in Cornwall in July/August. Just have to worry about paying for everything. Planning is cheap!

Patriçio,

You will have to adopt the journalistic approach to writing - important stuff first!

I am committed to rides Wedneday & Friday with the latté peleton, Friday being a Tour de Richmond.  We start at a civilized hour of about 10:00am with an espresso.  And we stop for lunch.  I will however join you for a ride soon with the no frills, nose to the the handlebars peleton.

w.r.t. the bmw I don't ride, allow me to introduce you to the bmw I do ride. 1982 R65LS - a rare model, showroom condition, collector plated.  The '73 R75 is for sale, cheaper than a carbon bfibre bike.  Next summer, I am off to Anchorage with a stop in Ft. Nelson to visit my older boy. Then, catch the Anchorage to Bellingham ferry.  Looking for a riding mate.

 Highway 97 (aka Alaska Highway) all the way!

1.Head north on Cambie St toward 10th Avenue Bikeway/West 10th Avenue500 m
2.Take the ramp to West 2nd Avenue120 m
3.Turn right onto West 2nd Avenue800 m
4.Continue onto E 2nd Ave290 m
5.Turn left onto Main St N/BC-1A N400 m
6.Turn right onto Terminal Ave (signs for Trans Canada Highway/BC-1 E)1.7 km
7.Continue onto E 1st Ave3.4 km
8.Take the Trans Canada Highway/BC-1 E ramp400 m
9.Merge onto BC-1 E143 km
10.Take exit 170 for BC-1 E/TransCanada Highway150 m
11.Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Hope Town Centre/Cache Creek/Kamloops/University Of The Fraser Valley/Rte 1 East48 m
12.Turn left onto Trans-Canada Hwy/Water Ave/BC-1 E (signs for Hope Town Centre/Cache Creek/Kamloops/University Of The Fraser Valley/Rte 1 East) Continue to follow Trans-Canada Hwy/BC-1 E193 km
13.Continue straight onto Cariboo Hwy/BC-97 N (signs for BC-99)202 km
14.Slight right to stay on Cariboo Hwy/BC-97 N (signs for Quesnel/Prince George)118 km
15.Turn right onto Cariboo Hwy/Carson Ave/BC-97 N (signs for Bakerville/Prince George)600 m
16.Turn right onto Cariboo Hwy/Front St/BC-97 N (signs for Barkerville/Prince Geroge) Continue to follow Cariboo Hwy/BC-97 N118 km
17.Take the exit toward Ferry Ave/Queensway190 m
18.Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Vanderhoof and merge onto Ferry Ave/Queensway Continue to follow Ferry Ave1.5 km
19.Turn left onto Yellowhead Highway W/BC-16 W477 km
20.Turn right onto Dease Lake Hwy/Stewart-Cassiar Hwy/BC-37 N (signs for Stewart/Alaska Highway)156 km
21.Turn right to stay on Dease Lake Hwy/Stewart-Cassiar Hwy/BC-37 N (signs for Alaska Highway) Continue to follow Dease Lake Hwy/Stewart-Cassiar Hwy Entering Yukon Territory566 km
22.Turn left onto Alaska Hwy/YT-1 W (signs for Yukon Territory 1 W/Whitehorse) Passing through British Columbia Entering Yukon Territory569 km
23.Turn right to stay on Alaska Hwy/YT-1 W (signs for Alaska Highway/Anchorage/Fairbanks) Entering United States (Alaska)323 km
24.Continue onto AK-2 E144 km
25.Turn left onto AK-1 S/Tok Cutoff Continue to follow AK-1 S196 km
26.Turn left onto AK-1 S/AK-4 S/Richardson Hwy22.5 km
27.Turn right onto AK-1 S/Glenn Hwy/State Hwy 1 S (signs for Anderson)234 km
28.Keep left at the fork and merge onto AK-1 S57.3 km
29.Continue onto E 5th Ave1.5 km
30.Turn right onto I St53 m

Show on Google Maps
Google Maps

Hi Ragin'

Yes, Mom, I'll try to remember to do whatever it is you tell me, whether that be writing messages or buying over-priced bicycles!!! Well, in spite of your caustic criticism, the process of looking for a carbon fibre bike continues. We spit on your admonishments! Consequently, Robo Ray and I visited WestPoint Cycles, today, after we road out to Iona, with Whirlygig, about a 66.33K round-trip, by time I was home. We dipsy doodled out Marine Drive and around UBC after Sara took care of our cycling needs! Glorious day for such a ride. Tried two bikes but am concerned about having to bend over with down-turned, "racing" handlebars. I sit up pretty straight and high on my present hybrid, as you know. Was excited to learn that a new carbon fibre hybrid is now available and we'll "test drive" them on Monday. Only about $1,000 over your $1,200 "limit"!

At the Vancouver International Folk Festival all this coming weekend and the Dutch family we met a number of years ago, in Parry Sound, Ontario, of all places, arrive on Sunday for a few days. Cora Lee's 65th next week and Ayn is flying up from LA to be part of celebration. Friends from Perth, WA, arrive at the end of August for two weeks. Hoping to spend a month or more in Panama in Jan/Feb of next year and then a house exchange in Cornwall, south of England, in July/August. Just have to worry about paying for everything. Planning is cheap! Not sure how latter might effect North to Alasaka but let's talk!

On another matter, would you be able to come with me to visit Imre tomorrow? I'd like some advice about hooking up speakers to his TV. I'll give you a call as it's a bit too complicated to explain in an email. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Chloë!

This was taken just before I cut off Maggie's tail! Her whiskers are next if the gas tank isn't full when you return!!! Love, Kitchen Surgeon Dad!


Hi Giggster!


Great ride! THE RETURN OF THE PARTIAL PELETON! Robo Ray and I visited WestPoint Cycles, as you know, about a 66.33K round-trip, by time I was home. We dipsy doodled out Marine Drive and around UBC after Sara took care of our cycling needs! Glorious day for such a ride, we kept remarking. Tried two bikes but I'm particularly concerned about having to bend over with down-turned, "racing" handlebars. Since I sit up pretty straight and high on my present steed, was excited to learn that a new carbon fibre hybrid is now available and we'll "test drive" them on Monday, along with another, even higher end "racer". CFH is only about $1,000 over the upper "limit" imposed by Ragin'! 

Let me know about Friday. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Patrice, 

What has happened? have you crossed over to the dark side? stooping or should I say stopping for latte’s!. I’ll see if I can get by those establishments otherwise talk to you soon. Cheers, Al

Hi Big Al!


Great ride! THE RETURN OF THE PARTIAL PELETON! Robo Ray and I visited WestPoint Cycles, after Giggster peeled off at Cypress and 37th, just before 10:00am. About a 66.33K round-trip, by time I was home. We dipsy doodled out Marine Drive and around UBC after Sara took care of our cycling needs! Glorious day for such a ride, we kept remarking. Tried two bikes but I'm particularly concerned about having to bend over with down-turned, "racing" handlebars. Since I sit up pretty straight and high on my present steed, was excited to learn that a new carbon fibre hybrid is now available and we'll "test drive" them on Monday, along with another, even higher end "racer". CFH is only about $1,000 over the upper "limit" of $1,200 suggested/"imposed" by Ragin'! No time for lattes! Did you happen to pass by?

Whirlybird and I, (Ray is not sure at this point.), are planning to ride to Seymour Demo Forest on Friday so let me know if you interested/able to join us. I think we'll ride over Lions Gate so we could rendezvous near Second Narrows. There is a parking lot at the bottom of bridge, towards Deep Cove that might be a good spot. Deep Cove is another option as well. Let me know what you think. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Lynn loop, Rice Lake

Hi Patrick,

Thank you so much for the newsy update!  I do get a kick out of all of your adventures :)

We are now into the summer heat, but you won't find too many people complaining after the wet June we had.  We spent 2 hours at the pool this morning with the boys and have tried to keep cool for the afternoon.  I am almost finished my photo albums too!  This is a major achievement as I had a pile of things from 2008 to present that needed attention.  No such thing as just digitally scrapbooking the stuff I had so I have tried to be creative and make baby albums and then just make good old photo albums that have anecdotes written beside each photo.  Today I have completed the Preschool year pages and recycled the majority of the boys school work from the past year.  Just too much to save, but I think I did well at keeping a few important keepsakes.  I'm not sure if they will appreciate the books 40 years from now or if they will just need them recycled, but I just hope they enjoy looking at them once or twice :)

Damian has an ear appointment tomorrow so we'll find out when he can get tubes in his ears.  He is having difficulty and is basically hearing with ears that won't equalize.

Off to Prince George July 13 and back on the 20th,

20 year grad reunion in Merritt on the 27/28th of July and then we have to head to Christina Lake to pick up a friend who is visiting from England.  Nell has been with Kim and Lesley for July so I get to give her a tour until the 10th of August.  

We will most likely be home during the week of the 13 to 17th of August.  We don't have plans for the following week yet.  If we do something, it will most likely be a trip to Summerland to get Peaches, Apples and Pears.  It might be early as it was a cool start but who can tell right now.

I return to work on August 27th, so it feels like my summer will be over very quickly!

It would be lovely to see you and Corinne if at some point.  Let me know your travel dates and we can do our best to coordinate something :)

Talk to you soon, Ariane


Hi again, Ariane!

Thanks for all the news. Hope all goes well with Damian's ears. I'll let you know what our travel schedule will be as soon as we have finalized departure date. Likewise with return leg, most likely from Winnipeg before we start home. If you ned a break, please come to Vancouver and help me with my photos! Talk soon. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi there,

I thought I had better write an email rather than call again, not to be a pest!
I got a ticket for Friday night, as the bill looks great. 
I will try to get there for 4:15 or so.  Perhaps "Sting-ray" can drop me off, and then I might be able to catch a lift back with you if there is room?
( one of R's students nicknamed him" Stingray" and I think it is very appropriate!)

By the way, Corinne, you mentioned Right side of the stage.. Would this be when facing it?
I have my cell, so we wont get lost too easily. Looking forward to it very much!! Love Sylvia


Hi Sylvia!



I'm not sure if Cora Lee replied BUT, as I mentioned to Stingray, we hope to be sitting to the LEFT of the stage, looking at it, back behind/away from the large speakers on that side, towards the water. I believe Flamin' and Cora Lee will be waiting in line outside the Main Gate at around 3:30pm, as East Gate opens at 4:00pm. Sarge will probably be there after 5:00pm, while I'll drop them off beforehand and park at my friend's place on 6th and Highbury. Depending on everyone's schedule, I could probably swing by and pick you up if The Sting Mobile isn't available. Let me know. Should be fun! Cheers, Patrizzio!


 Heading East tomorrow...in search of wisdom, or 100 degree heat???


Hi Cactus and Donna Florida!

How wonderful your trip into Enlightenment and Scorching Heat sounds! Will you be able to levitate upon return? Astral travel? Certainly save on air fare. More money for hootch! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!



Rebecca Frazier invited you to her event:
Birthday/House Warming
27 July at 19:00

Hi Beckster!

See you there! Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

We are indeed gearing up for the 5:30 am pick up time. I will be half alive, but Cactus is usually in fine fiddle at that hour. Didn't have time to read your full and unexpurgated missle, but we can assure you that at least one of us rode his bicycle, both of us had some nice wine and a good enough dinner. Grandma Kessler is in the ER Room with fabricated stories about chest pain, but since her nurses at the home felt this was a cover your ass visit to the hospital, we are selfishly going ahead with our plans!

I fully expect to be treated as royalty, being a descendant of almost every unfortunate congregational English pilgrim who first set foot on Connecticut shores!!!! I may well levitate at some point in this histrionic return to the "fatherland."

If you do go for the race in Penticton, we will definitely feel obligated to witness the event! Keep us posted. Best, N

Hi Hard Headed/Hard Hearted Daughter-in-Law!

If things go from bad to worse with Grandma Kessler, you can always Astral Travel back home in time to provide succour! I trust you receive the royal treatment you well deserve from all the Connecticut peasants, serfs and vassals who come to minister to your every whimsy and imagined needs. Who needs Sherpa Davey anyway?

We went through a nano-second's worth of wondering whether we should cut short our trip when we learned of Annie's heart attack. Look what Tough Love did. She's still very much alive and kicking! Bon Voyage, again, to that half part of you which is alive and barely functioning, if not kicking! Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Thanks for the clarification re: orientation of the seating!

I should be able to get Ray to drop me off near Jericho,but thanks for the offer.  A ride home would be good though, if you can squeeze another person in!

Looking forward to it! Sylvia
Hi Sylvia!

Glad the "orientation" was cleared up! I plan to take my bike on the car rack so I will ride home afterwards. Sarge will probably do the same so there will be room, one way or another, and The Sisterhood can drop you off! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Grace!

Thanks very much for the phone call. Sorry I missed your call. I hope that my non-response didn't create more difficulties for you. I assume we were out seeing Woody Allen's latest, To Rome With Love. Enjoyed it immensely. A delightful summer comedy and more.

At any rate, in chatting with Dr. Pike, I decided to forgo any surgery, (as you probably know by now), for the time being, at least. My arm seems moderately better, particularly when cycling, although it is still relatively uncomfortable, at times, usually when I'm sleeping. Given that surgery might give me more range of motion at the risk of increasing pain level, according to Dr. Pike, I opted to see how I do over next little while. Dr. Pike supported my decision although he was willing to entertain alternatives. We plan to do a reasonable amount of travel over next six months so, once again, I don't really want to jeopardize those trips if I'm no further ahead, so to speak. 

I understand that I will need a referral if I don't request another consultation in the next six months. I suppose it would be terrific, from a certain point of view, if I don't need to be seen again. Be that as it may, I certainly want to thank you for all your patience and effort over the last year or so. I can only imagine the sort of "pressure" you and the office must be under and certainly appreciate everything you have done to accommodate my circumstances.

I trust the rest of the summer, now that it is finally here, goes well for you. Thanks again for everything, Grace. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!













No comments:

Post a Comment