Monday 5 November 2012

IIDD, Chill November, Monday, November 5th

We all have to rise in the end, not just one or two who were smart enough, had will enough for their own salvation, but all the halt, the maimed and the blind of us which is most of us. -Maureen Duffy, poet, playwright, and novelist (b. 1933) 


 "This show feels assembled by an emulous shopaholic who looked around at the tourist-drawing hits of the last decade and said: 'I want some of that. And that. Ooh, and can I have that, too?'"
Ben Brantley; Sisterhood vs. Boss; The New York Times; May 1, 2009.


P,

Note the credit on the usage sample here. They are creeping in everywhere…

W

Hi Ray et al:

If Mark is not interested in The Road to Valour, I would be but I can wait if need be. I've more than plenty on my bibliographic plate. See you at HBT! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Ray,

Just learned from Pat that you will not be joining us. Sorry to hear that. I hope whatever it is that is dogging you gets straightened out soon and without affect. This week looks promising for riding.

I could have used you to keep the tether on our long haul rider today. I hope my new recruit can help with that task. Best, G

George,
    Hope the ride went well. Managed to get out late morning and rake leaves and mow so not a complete waste of time. Noticed how well the garlic you gave me is doing. Finished the Bartali story last night - well worth the effort. Ray

My wife and I will be delighted too. We try to learn more bridge too. Moe

Hi Moe!

Terrific that you and Mary can come! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Tiptoe!

I think the chap in this ad managed to get into a fight when someone laughed at his Movember stache/goatee! Cheers, Patrice!


For  years, the conventional wisdom has been that the best treatment for a  black eye is to cover it with a piece of raw  meat.

Scientific studies have proven that while the raw  meat helps reduce the swelling and aids in the healing  process,applying cold meat actually delays the recovery of the  broken blood vessels that cause the bruising around the orbital  socket, while frozen meat may cause superficial thermal burns to  the skin.




These same studies demonstrated that  application of warm and tender meat is much more  effective in helping the eyes recover from the damage because the  bruising isn't compounded by thermal shock.

Therefore, the next  time you get a black eye, try this method:
 



Administer  treatment until pain and swelling are gone.
Caution:  This method may cause swelling in other areas!

Ayn P shared National Organization for Women (NOW)'s photo:
 Patrick James Dunn Mitt The Moron!
Hi Lads!

As probably everyone knows, today was simply glorious. For those not in the know about the ride itself, left The Heartbreak Terrace at 9:30am with Whirlygig and Marcus Aurelius's cousin, Stevealimo. We were headed for Burnaby and met Marcus on the Central Valley Greenway Bike Route near Boundary. Followed it to close to the east end of Burnaby Lake where we took another trail running beside the Brunette River. Near the small wooden bridge over Still Creek we stopped and walked down the bank of the river and witnessed Chum Salmon spawning! It was quite a sight and I was able to get some pretty good  shots and a short video of the fish, some of the females thrashing around excavating depressions in the river bed for their eggs. What a marvelous sight and such a wonderful indication of the  tributary's environmental state. Thanks ever so much Marcus for showing us this truly remarkable event!!!
Back on the bikes to make  for New Westminister. It was a great asset having Marus along as he knows the route and following him I was able to stitch together the parts of the bike path through downtown New West, via the Boardwalk, and then the dedicated bike path all the way to the Queensborough Bridge. Sarge and I had done it in reverse earlier this summer but now I know the best way to negotiate the downtown core so as to avoid as much traffic as possible.
Once in Richmond we followed River Road and left Stevie Wonder and Angler Aurelius to have their lunch at a rest stop about equidistant from QB and Vulcan Way. Whirly Bird and I pressed on, leaving the Latte Louts to their sandwiches and thermos delights. At the CSTB I bade adieu to the Giggster.  My plan was to make for Iona but he had to be home to meet with Jacob Two Two and The Hooded Fang. Waved goodbye with 50K on the clock. Knew I would have 70K by the time the round trip there was complete. Traffic was very, very light so ride was most pleasant. Didn't even mind the moderate head wind. Coming back was even easier, of course.
Over CSTB I made for Cambie as I was without my "domestiques" for traffic light control. Bit of dipsy-doodling at 57th as I had to wait for light to change but then I was across Cambie and making for Heather. Rest of ride fell into place without any hitches whatsoever as I used Heather to return to 70th and then west all the way to Marine Drive and thence to UBC. Once at the intersection of MD and 16th I followed 16th to Tolmie, turning north until 11th and then back to Blanca. On 16th and then a series of convoluted, conscious dipsy-doodles around the campus on Lower and Main Malls, doing a couple of loops on Stadium Road, past Thunderbird and the UBC Botanical Garden to log 113K by the time I hit the bottom of the Foreshore Hill. Knew I'd have to do a number of circuits around Kits Point by the time I reached that part of the ride. I had decided, when I reached the edge of the Endowment Lands at 41st and Marine Drive that I would set 133K as my goal. 
Had 124K on the clock when I passed the totem pole by the Maritime Museum so made three circuits on Arbutus, McNicoll, Chestnut, Maple, and Creelman to have 131K registered before taking Whyte Ave for home. By this time it was quite dark and I was annoyed with myself as I hadn't bothered to put a couple of lights in my jacket pocket. Having set off at 9:33am I really didn't expect to be returning home at 5:20pm! Quite pleased with the distance of 133.33K over almost 8 hours, (probably closer to 7.5 as we stopped at Still Creek for about 20 minutes), but it certainly wasn't a quick ride at an AVG of 17.7KPH, MAX 52.6KPH. Will blame that on my heavy hybrid. Had taken it as wasn't sure what the road surface would be like near Still Creek. As it turned out, the Madone would have been fine. Next time! Nevertheless, I did enjoy being on the hybrid and it certainly was comfortable to ride for such an extended period of time.
Thanks again, Marcus, for sharing the natural wonder in our midst. Please pass along message to Cousin Stevealimo when you obtain his correct email address! Great to meet him and do hope he decides to become a card carrying, malt swigging, Sisterhood needling NRBCer! Cheers, Patrizzio!

 
 
Pics: Spawning Chum; Marcus Aurelius, Stevealimo, Whirlygig; bridge over Still Creek; movie: Still Creek Sex!










 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment