Wednesday 14 November 2012

IIDD, Chill November: Thursday, November 15th

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. -Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778) 



Lads,

Sorry for the slow response. I cannot start a ride until mid morning today. Enjoy your ride.

Friday is now looking like a good ride day. G

Hello River rats,  and residents of the False Creek verbal diarrhea triangle, although I am stinging from the recent wannabe Freudian analysis of my troubled past and the attacks against my integrity as a member in good standing of the  Bikerz without a cause or odometer society.  Like a Spawning salmon in the torrid waters of Byrne creek in the backwaters of South Burnaby I will prevail against the desire to lay down and perish and instead take a long gasp and muster a renewed energy to overcome the onslaught of logorrhea against which I constantly swim and join you for a ride this morning.
Are you still meeting /spawning at maple and 25th at 9:00? Al
Can you let me know what route you’re planning as it may be difficult for me to meet at 9 and may try and meet elsewhere a little later like 9:30. Thanks. 

Hi Big Al!

It now seems as if Whirlgig developed engine trouble so it will only be Robo Man, Me, Myself and I. We are planning to ride to Iona so we could meet at CSTB at 10:00am. We will meet you there then. Since we are both "celless", as opposed to "clueless", you'll have to send smoke signals to communicate! Cheers, Tonto! 


Hi Patrizio!

Yes, we’ve heard a lot about this movie and will put this on our to do list in Dec! Charlie

The Chicago Manual of Style website has just been updated with answers to the following new questions:
 
Q. How do I punctuate around internal ands? E.g., “We invited John Smith, Bob Jones and his daughter Jill, William, Doris, and Mable Johnston, Pat and Tim Roberts and their new baby, Jack and Elaine Miller’s mother, Judy Finch, and Tod and Deirdre Cook.”
Q. How does one cite a translation of a translation?
Q. In the sentence “Researchers at the University of California, Riverside and the University of Southern California determined . . . ,” should there be a comma after “San Diego”?
Q. In a chapter title in a book, should I drop the apostrophe? ’Till Death Do Us Part, or Till Death Do Us Part?
Q. What is the difference between a discussion and an interview?
Q. Section 8.52 has Illinois and Chicago Rivers (uppercase R). Section 8.55 has Fifty-Seventh and Fifty-Fifth Streets (uppercase S). Section 8.75 has Communist parties (lowercase p). The third seems illogical. Are you contemplating changing?
Q. I am copyediting a translation of a scholarly book. The translator and editor have decided to use two sets of notes. The translator and editor do not wish to use symbols for the author’s notes. Is there any other method one might use in such a case as this?
Q. I was taught that one cannot have a “first annual” of anything—that “inaugural” or “first-ever” were the appropriate terms. What is the CMOS ruling?
Q. I am editing the program for our upcoming conference. We’re using commas to separate name, degree, job title, professional affiliation. This is fairly simple when there is one speaker with one affiliation. However, it’s less straightforward when I’ve got multiple speakers with multiple affiliations and degrees. What is the appropriate way to address this?
Q. Can you tell me when The Chicago Manual of Style changed from recommending two spaces after a period (or any other end-sentence punctuation) to a single space?
Q. CMOS 6.41 says that when a phrase with “not only . . . but” requires extra emphasis, a comma or dash can be added before not. It does not mention putting one before but, and yet in the example, it does put the comma before but.
Q. How do you spell out the sound of a scream?

*************************************************************************************
To read the answers to this month’s questions, go to The Chicago Manual of Style Online.



Good morning.  I arose earlier than usual with the intention of using the 'Draqon' tutorial but made the mistake(?)  of opening my e-mail with one from Risto and you, so that was so much for 'Dragon'.  Where in heck did that name come from?

Wish I could join you on your ride.  It would, or maybe not, bring back childhood memories of riding my funky CCM bike to Horseshoe Bay, stopping on the LGB to drop milk bottles on passing ships!  Naughty boy. 

Those were the days that you could ride all over the place without fear of getting run over and parents didn't have to worry about predators either.  One favourite thrill was to race down the runway at Vancouver International Airport trying to keep up with departing planes.  That didn't go over too well with airport authorities though, an idea ahead of its time!  Speaking of which my son Marc and I witnessed the first 747 arrive at LAX.  We had laid down on the end of the runway (approach end) and with my trusty Voightlander took an incredible series of shots as this monster was landing, from its appearance on the horizon--click, click click, now it's overhead about 50 feet then clicked some more pics till 'touch down' smoke coming up from the tires.  How thrilling.  Try that today, can barely get into the terminal without a body search (stop that, it tickles).  Why didn't that happen when I was in great shape and would love to share?

This is usually a day off but will voluntarily trot in to do crap I usually do on Wednesday.  Will only be a few hours but the owner (also a good friend) wants financials and bills paid, including me which is an added incentive.


Have you ever been to Wreck Beach?  I can remember the days when there actually was a wreck (maybe an old scow) down there.  My younger son & I make a point to visit, enjoying a 'textile' free time sunning our buns.  (hope that doesn't offend you).


And with that, having whiled the morning away not doing my sincere intent will go have a cup of coffee then head on over to the brewery.

 Have a great ride.  Noticed in the paper this a.m. a biker guy was hit and killed a short way from here.  Oh well, died doing what he loved and hope that is the way for me.  Nursing homes suck!!

Peace
Thomas

Hi Thomasino!

Sorry I've taken so long to reply. No excuses but plenty of reasons! Had to laugh about your LGB milk bottle bombs and your YVR runway races! Quite a little terrorist, were you not! We used to frequent Wreck Beach from the mid-70's to the mid-80's but haven't been back for years now. Think of running up the steep path every time I cycle past the top of the Foreshore Hill. Used to do a loop on my lunch hour when running was my main form of exercise, other than squash. Terrific work-out indeed!

Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment