Saturday 3 November 2012

IIDD, Chill November: Saturday, November 3rd

Youth is the first victim of war - the first fruit of peace. It takes 20 years or more of peace to make a man; it takes only 20 seconds of war to destroy him. -Boudewijn I, King of Belgium (1934-1993)  

Summer Canteen!


Lunch with my mom
— at Summer Canteen
Hi Lads!

I'm eager to ride domani but I understood, from an earlier email, that Raymondo has given up the Peleton for the sveltoids in the gym!!! Just let me know time and rendezvous. I'm keen for Horshoe Bay if anyone is interested.
Otherwise, flexible, as always, Cora Lee!!!

On the reading front I'm about to start Chris Cleave's Gold. Perhaps we can compare it to Road to Valour when everyone has had a chance to read both. I know the works come at cycling from a different perspective but I think many of the core issues are the same.

Cora Lee put on a brunch for Friends of VPL yesterday at Creekside CC in the Olympic Village. I was dragooned into being bar-keep, handing out Champagne, (well, actually Spanish sparkling!), and OJ. Flamin' gave out raffle tickets and name tags. We were there at 9:30am to set up tables, etc., along with most of the Friends Board. Catered food, Out To Lunch, was truly wonderful. David Chariandy, (a VPL Board Member, novelist and prof at SFU), spoke during lunch. We had seen him at VWF as he was the moderator at two exceptional events.

Did this event last year and it was fun both times. Still, an aweful lot of work for Corinne. I think she will be more than pleased when her term as President comes to an end next Spring. She really has accomplished quite a bit in the two years since she assumed office but I think she has finally decided that she can't change the world and is looking forward to spending more of her retirement on herself. Selfish one that I am, I came to that conclusion even before I took early retirement!!!


Some of the pics from yesterday's brunch: View from 2nd floor of Creekside Recreation Centre; delectable buffet; Stephanie, (Friends Secretary); Sue, (One of The Sisterhood Book Club Members; David; Jocelyn, in charge of Friends' Book Sales.


Tessoro mio!

Looking through our incredibly busy social calendar, I note that David and I are available:

Wed. Nov 7
Sat Nov 10
Sat Nov 17
Wed. Nov 28
Friday Nov 30
Sat Dec 1
Wed Dec 5

On a day like this I would leave for L.A. in a heartbeat.  I assume you are both familiar with the Huntington Library in San Marino? Cheers, Doug

Hi Douglas and David!

Having consulted with Cora Lee, (and her busy schedule!), it seems as if Wednesday, November 7th, or Saturday, November 10th, are the best evenings for us. Let us know which date you prefer and we'll plan accordingly. Anytime around 6:30pm if that works for you both, later if that suits. Cheers, Patrizzio!


PS: This
joke, (below), was sent to me by Victor Chang, a volunteer with me at VIFF!


Cow magnet
 Patrick, sounds like fine idea and I look forward to it.  Will entreat Susan to join in.  

I'm disappointed though about your admonishment against bringing food, maltage, etc. I have a bottle of Balvine 14 year old rum cask that I had hoped perhaps to taste beside one or two other selections. I may bring it anyway, or perhaps that is another evening.

And thanks Mark for the audio.  I will endeavor to download so I can begin listening this weekend. See you on the 2nd. Guy

Hello Guy!

The BALVENIE CARIBBEAN CASK 14YO sounds more than a delicious drop. I haven't had it so looked it up and according to the tasting notes it seems fantastico: "amber gold colour; burnt sugar and fruit aromas; tropical fruit and spice flavours." It is suggested that it be served with a tropical fruit flan. What a pairing! The NRBC and Thee, O Seductive Balvenie! Whether to have read the book or not? Whether to dissolve upon the midnight air
after sipping from thine nectared lips? Those are the questions, Guyoratio, for there are more things twixt malt and blended moonshine than are dreamt in your downloadable philosophy. Away, away, for I must hie me to yon liquor cabinet in search of demon rum the better to acquit myself when next we meet to trade the slings and arrows of outrageous wit with the unreaded poltroons, knaves and scoundrels of the Non Lectores Libro Clava. Nos Bibere Salutat, Patrissimus! 
 Advice for old guys....
  
I was working out at the gym when I spotted a sweet young thing walking in....
I asked the trainer standing next to me, "What machine should I use to impress that lady over there?" 








The trainer looked me over and said; "I would recommend a time machine & the ATM in the lobby."

Hi Raymond, et al!

Is this why you are always going to the gym instead of riding with the Peleton, Robo Man?


Pat,
    I would give up the peleton completely ...... Let's hope for a break in the weather soon. Started 'Road to Valour' and it's very enjoyable. Ray
 
Hi Tiptoe!

Enjoyed the Halloween costumes! Here is some advice as well as an early Christmas Card as well! Cheers, Patrice!


hello Mr. Dunn!

haha your email was a pleasure to read. I see you are still making the ladies swoon, "Babes just flocked to our table..." haha

must be the red/orange hair : )

We should try to get together sometime for whiskey. I'm still new to the field though and have a lot to learn. Out of curiosity, what is the cheapest whiskey/scotch you'd drink? Do you drink anything lower than 15 years?

Since you gave us one joke I will give you one too. Here's an oldie but a goodie:

An American, a Dutchman and a Chinese were stranded after a shipwreck on an uninhabited island. 

The American says: "I've been in the army for many years, I know how to survive. So if you guys don't mind, I'll give the orders". The Dutchman and Chinese find this fine. The American goes further: "Ok, each of us will will have to search for something. You, Chinese guy, take care of the supplies. Dutch guy, you take care of the food, and I'll take care of the wood. In two hours we'll meet back here." Everyone finds it a good plan and they go their own ways. 


After 2 hours the American and the Dutchman meet back at the agreed spot. The Chinese is, however, nowhere in sight. They wait for a couple more hours and as the Chinese still hasn’t arrived, they get worried. They decide to search for him. Some hours later they have combed the complete island, but no Chinese is found. 


Thinking that he might have been eaten by a wild animal, they decide to go back and sadly so. Arriving at the meeting spot, they sit down, looking despondently at their stuff. Suddenly the Chinese jumps from the shrubs and yells: "Supplies!!!"

VL


Hi Vittorio, (and Patrizio!)!

Really enjoyed the "Supplies" joke! I'd not heard it before, even though you mention it is an "oldie"! In that vein, some gym advice below for you young pups!

As to your questions regarding malt, I am game to try any whiskey, at least once, whether blended Scotch or single malt. (I don't know nearly enough about Irish Whiskey and Bourbon but enjoy the number I have tasted and own.) However, I certainly do tilt towards single malts and focus on the range between 12 and 18 year olds. I certainly like many 10 year olds and there are some 5 year old cask strengths, in my experience, that are wonderful as well. Personally, for both my wallet and my taste buds, I feel that malts matured longer than 18 years are far too smooth for my palette. One of the things I like about malt, in general, is the fire and roughness which characterize their different tastes. In my opinion, (and I hasten to add that I am certainly not an expert by any stretch of the imagination), older, more mature malts are not worth the exponential rise in cost as they don't, for me, deliver the extra flavour their price tags demand at the till.

As to price, one can buy some entry level malts for around $40-$50, I think:



MCCLELLAND SINGLE MALT ISLAY SCOTCH,

ARDMORE TRADITIONAL CASK HIGHLAND SINGLE MALT

ABERLOUR HIGHLAND MALT 10 YR*

and then the sky's the limit, or at least around $120/bottle for me!

Still a month away but we'd like to invite you and Patrizio to our pre-Yuletide gathering on Sunday, December 2nd, anytime after 5:00pm. With any luck we'll have a chance to taste some malts! Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Before I forget, please call me Patrizzio or Patrick or Pat. I appreciate your deference but life is too, too short to be formal with friends!













No comments:

Post a Comment