Saturday 3 November 2012

IIDD, Chill November, Sunday, November 4th

The music that can deepest reach, / And cure all ill, is cordial speech. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882) 


Hi South American Jet-Setter and Grape Pickers' Caterer!

Very, very impressed with your crop, although I think this is probably a rather sly way to suggest the need for a larger, more powerful tractor! Don't let him brow-beat you, Lynne! I must say that when we were there at the end of August and you took me through the vineyard, I could hardly believe the size and density of the clusters, particulary given the relative youth of the vines. Must be wonderfully rewarding to see your hard work, dedication, discipline and vision come to fruition in such a tangible way. Will be most curious to hear the “numbers”, (brix, pH and acidity), when you know. Congratulations indeed. Will have to start calling you Jugo de Uva Dom Pedro!!!

 For my part, I must apologize for not being in touch sooner, primarily to let you know that Panama no longer seems an option, at least for us. At the end of September we were just back from VI where we had been house/cat sitting for The Millionaires and Kurt came to ask us about the house rental. He had had an offer from a friend there who wanted to rent his place for a year. We told him to go ahead as we had been wondering about the trip, at least in terms of staying in one spot for the entire time. From what we had read and discovered, subsequent to thinking about Panama as a destination, seems that spending a week or so in each of the five or six different regions of the country is a better way to see and enjoy the distinct geographical and cultural differences therein.



That being the case I know I should have let you know about the change in circumstances and had fully determined to do so but my good intentions were swallowed up in the rather hectic rounds of activity which seemed to envelop us from point onwards. My VIFF volunteer shifts were over a day before we had Mom's Memorial, Sunday, October 14th, (Will be having a graveside service in Winnipeg this coming summer. By the way, thank you for your concern about adjusting to life without Mom. You will be pleased to know that I now consider myself the Perfect Orphan!), and everything went off very well so quite pleased with the Service itself as well as the gathering at the church afterwards and then the Wake at our place.


Kathleen was in town and we had a lovely dinner with her and Grogg/Lurchesca, (over to attend Memorial), on the Saturday evening before service. VWF volunteering started the following Tuesday and on Wednesday Amos Lakos, now living in Oakland, met us after our shift at Studio 1398 Bar, (our regular gig each night, but last, of Festival), at 8:30pm, (Only time we could connect during two days he was in Vancouver opening a Canadian bank account!), and we had a great time catching up. Unfortunately, Kathleen left for home the day he flew in so they missed each other.


On the 21st, the VWF ended and after attending the Sunday Brunch, (Kathy Shoemaker, [Do you know her, Lynne?], gave me a ticket the night before as she was unable to use it. Good thing as event was sold out and so, as a volunteer, I wouldn't have been able to attend. Cora Lee had a ticket as she usually attends this event each year.), I ran a few errands and thenattended a VIFF Volunteer Appreciation Brunch at 3:00pm that afternoon, Great gathering, with a fabulous jazz trio, at The Fan Club, a new nightclub/bar on Granville, near the Vogue.Walked home, over Granville Bridge, afterwards and took some shots of the beautiful dusting of snow on the north Shore Mountains!Walked home, over Granville Bridge, afterwards and took some shots of the beautiful dusting of snow on the north Shore Mountains!

 That evening we hosted a lovely dinner with Gudrun and Stefano Cothey, neighbours and in-laws to Gayle and Derek Seymour, house exchange people in Cornwall. Flamin' and Sarge were up as well so it was a grand time. Told G/S not to tell G/D that we are now planning to come for three months, since we know they are neighbours, not one!!!

Managed a grand ride a few weeks ago now with Whirlygig, Robo Ray and Big Al. We cycled out to Iona, and then they "abandoned" me at 37th and Cypress while I continued out to UBC to follow one of my regular routes around campus and environs. Managed to log 103.3K over 5:33:34, AVG18.5KPH, MAX50.0KPH by the time I was home so was quite pleased with the distance but not the average speed. Like to try to be above 20KPH. However, weather was so gorgeous that I simply didn't want to stop! English Bay was filled with freighters, some of which seemed close enough to touch as I rode along Spanish Banks!

Three of the pics show how Whirlygig and I spend our time when not cycling! Very, very pleasant Macallan tasting, (Free, of all things!), on Tuesday, 23rd, at the Eclectic Howl, (Electric Owl), on Main near Viaduct. Babes just flocked to our table, even before the smart young men joined the grizzled brigade! Funnily enough, Mike, beside Giorgio, is the accountant at GIB and knows Chloë well! We were chatting before being seated and discovered connection! 



Further to the malt front, I picked up two bottles of the "Shackleton" malt the following day. In case you haven't heard about it:

Mackinlay's Rare Old Highland Malt is a meticulous re-creation of the original malt whisky shipped to Antarctica in 1907 by the explorer Ernest Shackleton to fortify his 'Nimrod' expedition. The story of how several wooden crates of this precious whisky were abandoned to the Antarctic winter in early 1909, then rediscovered over a century later, is one that celebrates the enduring spirit of both man and malt.

Stopped at Legacy in Olympic Village, that afternoon, after watching Rebelle, (War Witch), at Vancity Theatre, one of the films brought back from VIFF. A terribly difficult film about child soldiers in sub-Saharan Africa. Nevertheless, simply superb performances by everyone, especially Rachel Mzwanza, as Komona, the "sorceress" to the rebel chief, the Great Tiger. A mesmerizing drama "about the remarkable endurance of the human spirit." 


Week ago today I took advantage of rain-free weather to go for a long ride. Since I had no word from either Raymondo or Whirlygig I set off for Horseshoe Bay at 10:30am, solo. Headed around Science World and then to Stanley Park Seawall to cross over Lions Gate. Very little traffic on Marine Drive once I was in West Vancouver so the ride to HB Village/Ferry Terminal was most pleasant. Having done this ride a fair number of times, of late, I  find it is becoming easier as I know when to gear down and pace myself for the changing terrain.

Back home with 70K on the clock, I made for UBC as I wanted to log at least 100K. After the roller coaster of the HB ride, cycling along Spanish Banks was pretty relaxed and even the Foreshore Hill didn't seem much compared to the ascent out of HB! (Freighters in English Bay were but toy boats on a mirror.) Once skirting the campus I decide to continue along Marine Drive to Crown. By so doing I knew I'd have about 110K under my belt by the time I completed the return trip. I decided to go this far, in part, due to the lack of a strong headwind plus the fact that my legs felt pretty good. Only negative incident I experienced was not being able to open the granola bar I taken along in case I needed a bit of an energy boost. After failing with my teeth, (I couldn't gain purchase with my gloved hands as they were too slippery!), and almost swerving into a small pothole, I've decided I need to cut a small slit in the "super-tough-virtually-impossble-to-open-except-with-a-scalpel" wrapping before I leave on such a long outing! Made due with some of the gum I usually take along so I was fine.

By the time I was back at the Heartbreak Terrace I showed 115k on my trusty odometre so I thought, "What the hell, go for 120K!" and made for the Cambie Bridge. From past experience, I knew I could log an extra 6K, with just a bit of conscious dipsy-doodling, so did just that and pulled up with 121.3K over 5:55:23, AVG 20.4KPH, Max 52.6KPH. Quite chuffed at AVG as my last 100K ride was only 18.6KPH, but then I was with a partial Peleton for first part of ride out to Iona and its predilection is to lollygag at times!!! Came in and after locking up my bike in storage area, had a wonderful cup of java. Had been thinking about it for last 40K or so. Don't allow myself any caffeine before a long ride as heaven forbid, I might have to stop to relieve a full bladder! 



Flamin' and Judith
Really glad I took advantage of the sunshine when I did as it had been pouring regularly ever since! One good outcome, for me at least, is that inclement weather has driven me back to the pool and I have been frequenting the Acquatic Centre for last few weeks. Started fairly slowly, in terms of distance, but am pleased to report that I managed to do 3 miles last Wednesday, (Clara and Dusty arrived that afternoon.), and 2.5 following day. Only negative side effect is that I seem to have developed an allergy to the chlorine in the water. I'm fine when swimming but start sneezing an hour or so later and my nose becomes quite stuffy. I don't feel poorly but it is driving The Sisterhood nuts. Poor Maggie leaps from her chair and dashes for cover under one of the beds, so loud are my AAAchoos! 
 Anyway, I'll have to monitor things over the next little while because I have never had this reaction before. My goal is to swim 3 miles regularly, interspersed with cycling when weather allows, but I'd like to do 5 miles before the first week in December. 


Coramandel and I met, 41 years ago, On Halloween, at Champs Motor Inn on Osborne Street in Winnipeg. Since Clara and Dusty were arriving that afternoon, we decided to celebrate a day earlier. We went to Edibles, on Granville Island, one of our favourite spots there. Friends from Perth, WA, Bev and Kevin Wittwer, stayed with us for two weeks this past September and gave us a gift certificate to the restaurant as a thank you for their stay. We had a wonderful, wonderful meal and all within such easy walking distance!

(PS: For dessert, Chai Crème Brûlée and it was more than delicious! Even had "Congratulations" in chocolate script on plate!)


Cora Lee put on a brunch for Friends of VPL yesterday at Creekside CC in the Olympic Village. I was dragooned into being bar-keep, handing out Champagne, (well, actually Spanish sparkling!), and OJ. Flamin' gave out raffle tickets and name tags. We were there at 9:30am to set up tables, etc., along with most of the Friends Board. Catered food, Out To Lunch, was truly wonderful. David Chariandy, (a VPL Board Member, novelist and prof at SFU), spoke during lunch. We had seen him at VWF aas he was the moderator at two exceptional events. 

Did this event year and it was fun both times. Still, an aweful lot of work for Corinne. I think she will be more than pleased when her term as President comes to an end next Spring. She really has accomplished quite a lot in the two years since she assumed office but I think she has finally decided that she can't change the world and is looking forward to spending more of her retirement on herself. Selfish one that I am, I came to that conclusion even before I took early retirement!!! 



 A day or so after the 10th of January we are now planning to continue driving south and east with a mind to seeing New Orleans, as one goal. I'd like to visit some bourbon distilleries in Tennessee and Kentucky but whether this transpires or not, remains to be decided. We hope to see friends, Randy and Ruth, formerly living in San Antonio, now in Dallas, en route to New Orleans. Of course, if any of these destinations sound appealing as an alternative to Panama, let us know and perhaps we could meet somewhere and take a road trip together. (Agneta wants us to return to Mexico for her son's wedding on December 29th in Guayabitos. While we are very fond of Ezra the timing simply won't work, unfortunately.)


Fondestos from Cora Lee to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


The weather looks promising tomorrow. I hope to get a ride in sometime. Let me know if you are willing to take one of your bikes out of mothballs. G

George, Pat, Mark, Al,
    Didn't believe you about the weather until I checked a few minutes ago. I'm in - bike out of mothballs, cycling clothing clean and fresh - ready to rumble. How about gentlemen's hours -9:30 to 10:00 start from the Island?
Ray,

Start time works for me. Heart Break Terrace -- 9:30.

Lads, Do you have a route in mind? I'm coaching at Windsor until 9:00, could hook up with you by about 10:00 depending on which way you're headed...
    
8^) cheers, Mark 


The plan is to depart from HBT at 9:30 and meet Mark at the Sperling pedestrian overpass -- asap. The proposed plan is thru New West and then back on River Road but we may have to leg wrestle (while riding) to settle on a route.

Mark’s cousin Stephen Tanner will meet us at the HBT at 9:30.

Mark, please give us Stephen’s e-mail.

If Stephen does check it, this is the address he'll use...

Hello Peletonii!

See you Gentlemen at The HBT at 9:30am. Lookin forward to a guided tour of Burnaby! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Fair warning, Pat, You may need your asbestos boots - salmon are spawning in the Brunette River along which we shall ride, and they may require some dismountage action to fully apprehend them.
    
8^) cheers, Mark 


Hi Marcus Aurelius!

I gather Whirlygig is bringing along his fish net to scoop out a few sustainable fish for the coming pot-luck! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Mark,
    Just finished Road to Valour. It's not due until Nov. 20th. Would you like me to bring it along tomorrow?
Ray
The Young Denzel!


Waiting patiently for Roscoe's...

  • Laura Mitten Roscoe's is worth the wait 
  • Patrick James Dunn Was this his treat after he finished shooting "Flight"
  • Ayn P Yes Poppa...Pierre treated me and Denzel to waffles
  • Patrick James Dunn Tell Xavierino to save his cash as The Canucks are coming!
  • Ayn P Happy to forward the message! Xo

    Hi P:  I had begun to think of you as a disappearing tipster at Moonee Valley, dropping certs into the ears of Jack Irish's mates then fading into the barking crowd.  Guess events at Van Writers Festival are more enduring than the Wolf Blass Maiden Handicap.  Race 3, number seventeen.
    The 'series' turns out to be two short telemovies, faithful to the litplots and also the characters.  I'll keep an eye out for DVD. They were enjoyable.
    An enduring encounter at Halloween in Winnipeg.  There's gotta be a racey novella in there somewhere, thick on character, picaresque on plot.  A frantic tale.
    I've been landscaping - a path at the front, with corners.  Put the corners first, they take longer and more invective.
    I've been learning jazz piano too, found a great teacher in Cambells Creek.  Well, he's not in the Creek, but a studio in an 1870s Anglican church on Main Road.  Teaching me tricks I've always wanted.  Its character building - and I can build on chords and progressions I've mucked around with over the years.  Calming too.
    Kath said you mentioned again coming back to Oz.  If ever I travel roads in the North I'll do it with you. Love to everyone.


 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment