Wednesday 7 November 2012

IIDD, Chill November: Wednesday, November 7th

Truth never damages a cause that is just. -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (1869-1948)

Taken at Kalamazoo College, June 1970 graduation, The Young Groucho Marx!

R & P,

Would like to ride this morning but I need to be back close to noon. Let me know if that works for either of you.

Might be able to do Horseshoe Bay on Thursday or Friday. W

-Ricio,

Is that you?

My son, whose name I cannot recall at this moment, did not hesitate to accept the camper trailer you are offering. He thought he might take it out fishing this weekend.

Glad you finished the Chardonnay cask. Sorry I couldn’t taste it.

Let me know when a pick up may be convenient for you-s. Bob

P,

Not so you can contribute -- just so you know -- in case either of you are
adverse to, lemme know.

AND so you can adjust your hooch to compliment -- no need to bring hooch
either.

Forgot to mention tandoori faux paws: should be most, if not all, GF. W

Our carte du jour will include East Indian appetizers, an Indian style fish
dish, condiments, rice and Dahl.

If you would care to contribute appetizers, salads, desserts...or, and these
need not conform to the Indian theme. There will be ten adults and one
child.

We were thinking about a 6PM start if that is workable for everyone. 

Look forward to seeing you all, G

The next gathering is the 2nd of December, at the Islay Inn. The start time is 3PM. Dinner generously hosted by Pat and Corinne to follow with partners welcome. Bridge games to follow dinner for those who are interested in playing or kibitzing.

Hope to welcome two new members at that gathering: Kurt and Stephen. Bios forthcoming.

The book is: Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow by Daniel Kahneman (Mark). Misha has chosen Suttree by Cormac McCarthy to follow the Kahneman.Moe is on the hook to recommend a book to follow the McCarthy.

Suttree by Cormac McCarthy
 

 
Hi Patrizzio,
Thank YOU. We really enjoyed having you here, after all the nervousness involved in the preparations.
And we would love to come to the Inn for Advent Sunday, as the Christians call it. Eight days before I leave is perfect. Plenty of time to recover.
Otherwise, life is pretty low key around here, in a pleasant way.  I'm doing my French, we go to concerts, some hikes, and of course my re-vitalization project, tennis. Not to mention the work on my memoirs. You will appear, approximately, on pages 534 to 539, except for a brief mentioning in the part about the Calgary conference by the early 300s. Cheers, Kjell

Hi Jane and Kjell!

Trust you are both well. Fabulous that you will be able to make our pre-Yuletide gathering. Your memoirs are bound to be an international best seller! Are you writing it in French? Can hardly wait for the movie. Who has the film rights? In case you go to the gym instead of playing tennis, I've included some advice!
 

Today, blessed with more blue skies and sunshine, Robo Ray and Whirlygig met me at the Heartbreak Terrace at 9:30am and we set of for SP to do an-up-and-over LG. Not many people on Seawall in spite of remarkable weather. Not even much of a breeze so we were happy as larks. Thought of you two as we rode past your place on Spirit Trail and then turned around to head back over bridge. 


Unfortunately, Raymondo he had a rear flat close to Marinaside Crescent and Davie, (Shades of time you were along two summers ago, Kjell!), fortunately he had a spare tube. While lads changed tire, I rode as far as Cambie Bridge on south side of False Creek and then returned to where I'd left them. Poifect timing as they were just getting on their steeds when I pulled into view. Accompanied them to Point Grey and MacDonald where they peeled off for their respective abodes. I continued on out to UBC and climbed the Foreshore Hill three times to give me about 72K by the time I'd done the loops.

Out to Crown on MD and then back again, taking a short dipsy-doodle onto Stadium Road, then West Mall to Thunderbird Blvd before returning to MD. Had just shy of 93K on the clock by the bottom of the FSH so I was laughing all the way home. made quite difference being on the Madone as opposed to my hybrid and I felt I could have shot for 140K if I'd not being planning to ride domani. Pleased to be back at the HBT with 104.3K over 5:28:09, AVG 19KPH, MAX 53.6KPH. Blame under 20K AVG on the lollygaggers at the start of the ride!!!

In fact, a simply wonderful outing. It was almost the perfect temperature. English Bay was stunning with its full compliment of freighters. Terrific to have Raymondo back and in fine fettle.

Next time I hit the Aquatic Centre, I will try to emulate some of those amazing Chum battling tirelessly against the fairly strong current of Stoney Creek. Although Clara and Dusty just arrived a week ago, Dusty has already recovered two chairs with some gorgeous fabric Coriandre bought a few months ago. He is astounding! For her part, Clarisse has made two batches of more than delectable soup, one from Thanksgiving turkey bones I had stored, with cunning forethought, in the Annexe freezer!!

Let me know if you are interested in an afternoon matinee, over the next little while, Kjell. Let's see if we can coordinate something. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Patrick,
Please pass on my compliments to Dusty for his work on those chairs.  They look amazing.  Wish I had such a handy father-in-law. Cheers, Peter

Hi again Dom Jugos!

Dusty is tickled that people are so impressed with his handiwork. While I know he appreciates the recognition, he is so modest that he simply shrugs off the praise claiming it is not really a big deal. Not for him, perhaps. I'm like you, I wish I had just a smidgeon of his ability and creativity. However, you are no slouch yourself, Peter The Great Grape Grower! Anyway, the "new" chairs have given The Sisterhood a chance for more furniture re-arrangement: plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!
Cheers, Patrizzio!

My dear chum:  absolutely rivetting pics, pity about the video.  Aren't y' cold in shorts riding around?
I rode into Castlemaine on Monday, dropped off the bike for a service and drove the car home.  Today K took me in and I rode home through the bush.  I'm not up to both ways yet.  Took me about 50 mminutes for the ascent (its about 200 feet elevation difference between HN and there).  But felt good.  On the way in a poodle launched itself at my front wheel, causing me to dismount, launched a nice rounded quartz at the poodle (a hit) and invectives to its owner, should have given her the quartz.
Yes, Mum was a wonderful pianist - my uncle, who played sax professionally all his life called her the best Swing accompanist he ever played with (he had an international career).  I'll never even aspire to her capability, mine is a different sort of playing - Fats Waller instead of Count Basie.   Not ready to drop a track yet, but I have played for Jessie over the phone and taught her a jazz progression in about ten minutes.  She almost bawled.
Keep thinking seriously about travelling North.  I'm driving to Lennox Head in January to a music camp, Summersong.  A guitar player whose email list I'm on is giving master classes (check his site, Lloyd Spiegel), along with an acapella choirmeister and a couple of other instrumentalists.  January 11 to 18.

President Obama just won.  No matter how bad it gets I do believe the Americans take their country seriously - remember George the shrub stole his first election courtesy a stacked Supreme Court and Bro Jeb's Attourney General (remember, blond, tits and teeth, wonder where she is now).  Its not all Cheney dicks and piss tea.
Thanks for news.  S.

Hi Stefano!

Mightily impressed with both your biking, (both road rage and distance!), and your music endeavours! Onward! Fight! Perhaps you should "quietly" mention guitar classes to Grogg as I think he should stretch himself. Didn't realize you were part and parcel of such an astonishing musical pedigree!

Have attached a couple of snaps of the chairs, finished yesterday afternoon after both Clarisse and Chloë insisted The Dustman finish off with brass tacks instead of staples!!! However, you are no slouch yourself, Stefano, The Great Landscape Architect and Jazz Pianist! (Took a brief look at Lloyd Spiegel's website. Will peruse further later!) Anyway, the "new" chairs have given The Sisterhood a chance for more furniture re-arrangement: plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose! Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Ride today, gone tomorrow, wild cat strikes, Campagnolo, Yamazaki 1993/2008 (62%, OB, Heavily Peated, puncheon, C#3Q70048) 

P,

Good ride today -- thanks. Hope you racked up the numbers to make up for my paltry showing.

Tomorrow looks dodgy for me to get a ride in but I am working with the sisterhood and other un-named Asian terrorists to rejig my chauffeur schedule. In truth, I am seriously contemplating a wild cat strike. Does Maggie have any experience she could share?

Re: the Campagnolo – By all means bring it by if you are driving this way but I can zip down and pick it up anytime with the Deli. Jake is quite excited. W

Yamazaki 1993/2008 62% 

Hi Giggster!

Grand, grand ride indeed! When you peeled off for your respective abodes, I continued on out to UBC, as I mentioned.
I hope to drop off the Pop-Up Camper Trailer in next day or so as you mention Jacob Two-Two wants to go live in the woods on the weekend! Thanks for menu. Looks more than fantabulous, scrumptious even! Am very happy about the Cormac selezzione. Have you jumped ship, or porch-climber, should I say, with the Yamazaki? Bit too, too anaemic for my refined taste buds, but would be more than curiouser than Maggie to taste it. Sorry, Maggie doesn't go on wild cat strikes, she just strikes out wildly!



Let me know if you are "at liberty" domani. Need ransom money? I could sell some of Imeleda's shoes. I'm easy about time/route. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Patrizzio,

Nice to hear your update via LinkedIn.  You always satisfy with lots of information.  Retirement (although semi- in your case) wears well on us, too.

We just returned from 5 days, 4 nights with Nola's daughter and son-in-law to a cottage on the Oregon coast at Rockaway Beach, overlooking the Twin Rocks.  I visited my 97-year old dad in Wisconsin for 10 days at the family homestead where he is living independently still.  Not to bore you, but I overstretched my arm and shoulder almost 3 months ago, and have been trying to correct the inflamed neck nerve conditions of cold and numbness (but no pain) with a progression of therapies: massage, accupuncture, chiropracty, and now physical therapy.  Have app't with orthopedic surgeon next week just to cover all the bases.

Nola is active on a Foundation Board and I going on my 4th year (out of 6) as an Everett Parks Board Commissioner.  I also serve on the City's Human Needs Committee where we distribute $300,000 per year to social service agencies requesting $700,000 per year.

Tra-la 'till we may see you again, and best wishes to you and yours on your upcoming adventures. Erich 

Hi again, Erich!

You and Nola seem very busy indeed! Sorry to hear about your arm, shoulder and neck. Buona Fortuna with orthopedic surgeon! Onward! Fight! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Corinne and Pat,
It's nice to hear that you live your life to the fullest.Lots
of trip and lots of friends and good times!
Thanks for the photo of your handsome grandson.
Oh the chairs....job well done.   Rose- Joe

 Hi again, Rose and Joe!

Both Pierre and Alejandro are handsome young men. We tease Alex by calling him a young Denzel Washington! With respect to the chairs, (finished yesterday afternoon after both Clarisse and
Chloë insisted The Dustman finish off with brass tacks instead of staples!!!), Dusty is tickled that people are so impressed with his handiwork. While I know he appreciates the recognition, he is so modest that he simply shrugs off the praise claiming it is not really a big deal. Not for him, perhaps. I wish I had just a smidgeon of his ability and creativity. However, you are no slouches yourselves, Rose and Joe, what with your fabulous flowers and tomatoes!!! Anyway, the "new" chairs have given The Sisterhood a chance for more furniture re-arrangement: plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Tiptoe!

Apparently Mary ate too, too much rye bread! Cheers, Patrice!

No comments:

Post a Comment