Monday 15 October 2012

IIDD, Moondance: Monday, October 15th

The appropriately beautiful or ugly sound of any word is an illusion wrought on us by what the word connotes. -Max Beerbohm, writer, critic, and caricaturist (1872-1956) 



Thanks George, Working VWF today and tomorrow.
    
8^) cheers, Mark


P,

Thanks. Great ride today.

Did you fill your closet from Norms collection? Do you still recommend I go? Did the sisterhood approve of your acquisitions?

Do you have an electronic copy of your eulogy yesterday? If so would you mind sharing it? I would like to give a copy to Carlos.

Weather is predicted to be nice Wednesday. Maybe we can get out again.

Keep me posted on anything you might attend at the Festival. I may join you, impromptu, if I am available. W

Hi Giggster!

Yes, indeed, it was a grand ride. Thank you! After I left you I dipsy-doodled back down to Science World so that I had 63.3K over 3:20:29 for an AVG of 19KPH. Slow speed must have been gusts and strong head wind!!! Had a note from Raymondo and he mentioned how fortunate we were to find the window of opportunity we did. He rode to near the Ridge today and said that was quite enough for him. I guess he is still feeling the effects of his nasty cold.


Yes, I did fill my closet! In fact, have put the 14 shirts I picked up in the spare room for now! (The Sisterhood is yammering about the need to empty my bedroom closet!) Also found three pairs of shorts so pretty happy with the haul. I think the overall selection is terrific, (particularly the colourful shirts), so I'd go as soon as you can, the better to perhaps find something of interest. Only thing that was a tad disappointing, for me, was the fact that there were no light jackets that I could use for cycling. Found a number of suitable ones but once I tried them on I knew that they would be too tight once I put on any layers. Nevertheless, had a good visit with Stormin'. He is having dinner with Lee Bacchus on Wednesday, I believe.


Once I'd seen forecast, I thought I'd suggest Wednesday as well. I might go for a swim tomorrow since it is supposed to rain, as you know, and most of Tuesday's day offerings are geared towards student groups. I'd like to take in Thrills and Chills, John Burnside, Stephen Miller, (Vancouver), and Kate Mosse, (England), from 1-2:30pm on Wednesday, so please join me if interested. I wouldn't mind a run to Iona but I'd like to head out via UBC/Marine Drive, if that is fine with you. We could rendezvous at MacDonald and Point Gray if that works for you, at 9:00am or thereabouts. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Il Conduttore.


PS: How was Wrightson?


PPS: Thanks for your kind words about the service and tribute.


Pics: Flamin' snapped ones at the Memorial; last is my "haul" from Stormin'!


P,

Thanks for the pics and for sharing the text of your moving tribute to your mother.

I have not connected with the workaholic architect yet for an update on the Wrightson. Will give you the full story tomorrow.

Hope to ride Wednesday as you have suggested. Morning would be best for me – I pick up the MT at 3:15. Also, I usually see my kids on that day; or rather they show up to raid my larder, about midday on Wednesday, so I like to be around. W

Hi Ray and Sylvia!

Sorry to hear that you both have been fighting nasty colds! Hope you are on the mend. At some point, I'll pop off a program, if you are interested. Had a lovely gathering last evening/night, after the service and Branko even made it! Must have been the large ham! Nevertheless, it was good to see him as we've not connected for some time.

Giorgio and I will ride from Heartbreak Terrace at 9:30am, probably an up-and-over LG. Big Al is working at Science World this morning so we might hook up with him on return leg if he is finished around time we are back there.

VWF, (renamed form VIWF!), has the opening gals tonight but Cora Lee is wondering if it will go ahead. She and Robyn have tickets. You may have heard about the gunman at the Fairmont  this morning. Maybe police should offer him a ticket to event. From what I've heard, he hasn't made any demands. Not a funny situation, of course. Can't imagine what organizers are doing, even if that is possible, to change venue, should that be necessary. I plan to drop by the festival office later this afternoon as I have a few questions about our shifts, (First one is tomorrow evening. We are running a small bar at Studio 1398.), and maybe I'll find out the "latest"!

Hope you are feeling better soon. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi all,
I have an appointment at Science world at 10:30 to consult on a mechanical issue, I’m not sure how long it will take but I have cell. phone technology so I will contact Whirlygig if I get done in a reasonable amount of time and perhaps catch up.
Great gathering yesterday Pat, I’m glad we were able to come by after but sorry to have missed the service as it sounded really nice. Have a great day if I don’t see you. Cheers, Al 

Pat,
Thanks for your good wishes.  It sounds as though things went very well for your mom's service and we would like to see the program at some stage. You must have managed a rain-free ride this morning. I rode to an educational shop near the Ridge to pick up a math book this afternoon and that was long enough. Certainly missing the physical activity but it has given me more time to read and repair right shoulder and back muscles. Can't wait to get back to Sebastian Faulks, A Possible Life - what a great writer- once I stop watching a channel 5 documentary on Lowry's work as an artist. His scenes are from Manchester where I spent lots of time as a boy staying with friends in Stretford (Man. United area) adjacent to the ship canal. I have some more Stuart McBride books which I will pass along to Corinne if she is still interested. Ripening tomatoes in a variety of containers with a banana in each and it seems to be working. We should be able to eat our own into November. We would like to have you both, with Kerry and George, for dinner once our energy returns. Ray

Hi Patrick and Corinne

Just wanted to let you know that Howard Hurt died October 5, 2012
will be in touch again. cheers for now, Jo-anne

Hi Patrick

I wrote you a long email yesterday with all the news and it wouldn't send.  I had to turn off my computer to get back on line and when I did the message hadn't been saved!  So, thought I would try again.


I saw Jaimie Gairdner singing with the Bach choir recently. Went to South Bank for Mozart's requiem which was wonderful.  I noticed that he sometimes sat down when everyone else was singing.  I sent him a text afterwards to say how marvellous they were and asked if he was okay as I saw him sitting down when everyone else was standing.  He hasn't replied so just wondered if you have heard from him.


My flat in Finchley is under offer (more about that later) so Lisa may have to move out soon.  She is off to Vietnam with Lauren in December so timing may work out well. 


Anna and Leon have been doing loads of work to their house and it's looking much better.  Heather is coming over on 30th October for 2 weeks.
TBC Penelope x


A sculpture of Pollyanna in Littleton, New Hampshire, the hometown of Eleanor Porter 
Photo: Gre

Hi Big Al!

Thanks for coming by last evening. Great to see you both. Sorry we were not able to connect this morning. I gather job took longer than anticipated. Always the way! Thanks for your kind words about the service.Cheers, Il Conduttore.

Hi Patrice,
Yes, very sorry to have missed you guys especially seeing as I was right in your neck of the woods and the ride sounds just about perfect for me length wise. The job at science world did run on longer than anticipated and I didn’t get out of there until 12:30 and then my consultant from Peerless engineering suggested lunch so we could hash out some more ideas. As it turns out most of the ideas he presented I had to shoot down because of inherent flaws that I had to keep pointing out. In the end I came up with a plan that in theory sounds very workable but we’ll have to acquire some hardware and re and re the system to make sure.
Tomorrow I have an appointment at 8:30 (coincidentally at an ex designers from Science World) who just built a house at 16th and Ontario and wants me to build some interior railings for her staircase etc. and after that I promised Sue Teahan I would come by with my truck and pull a couple of Laurel hedges. It’s possible I could be done around 11 so again can phone you guys and perhaps catch up.
The bike is still in the back of my truck from yesterday and so I can drive somewhere close to where you are and go from there.
Talk to you soon, Cheers, Al   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment