Wednesday 10 October 2012

IIDD, Moondance: Wednesday, October 10th

We sometimes congratulate ourselves at the moment of waking from a troubled dream; it may be so the moment after death. -Nathaniel Hawthorne, writer (1804-1864)

Hi Lads!

It seems as if Thursday is better suited for most, if not all, of you so that is fine with me. I'm open to suggestions for tomorrow but I need to be back at Heartbreak Terrace by 1:00pm as my VIFF shift starts at 2:00pm. Meet around 10:00am, at Hastings and Cassiar, with Burnaboids, and make for Deep Cove? Other routes? Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Lads!

Looks like I'm going to be the one to weasel out of the ride! Unfortunately, I just learned that I will have to meet with the minister who will be performing Mother's Memorial Service, tomorrow morning. She was away for the Thanksgiving weekend and didn't have time to look over the draft which I sent her, a few days ago, before this afternoon. We have to finalize order of service as I need to have it copied and I prefer not o wait until the last minute. My VIFF shift starts at 2:00pm so I'm hoping to clock a short ride before then if meeting doesn't last too long. Please send along my apologies to rest of the peleton. I'm doubly sorry as I was looking forward to seeing everyone as well as boast about my solo ride to Horseshoe Bay today, in the fog and mist!

[Before I forget, I suggest you wear full gloves as it was chilly today. Also. I don't think 20 minutes is enough time to get to Hasting and Cassiar from here. I'd allow 30 minutes but then again, I know you two have been doing time trials without me, at Iona! Nevertheless, I'm curious to know what you decide.]

I left the Heartbreak Terrace at just before 10:00am and made my way to Science World and then Stanley Park. Seawall was very quiet so it was a pleasure to have it to myself, although I was plagued by a reasonably strong head wind, both coming and going, as I'm sure you are not surprised to learn. Hardly any cyclisti on Marine Drive as I made my way to HB, although there were a few more on the return. Had 37K on the odometre by the time I
made my way up the hill out of HB.

Had decided I wanted to log 100K so when I reached LG I did a minor dipsy-doodle along Spirit Trail  to just before the bike/pedestrian bridge and then headed back to make the long return ascent over LG. Couple more, longer dipsy-doodles, first to Canada Place and then a circumcyle of SP. By the time I was back at the fire engine I had 90K under my belt so made for home. arrived back at The Islay Inn with 101.3K over 5:17:39, AVG 19.1KPH, MAX 50.3KPH. Not particularly happy with AVG but put it down to damned head wind and lack of drafting! At any rate, it was quite interesting to see the city, on way back, shrouded in mist. Could just make out skyline and LG and the odd freighter but all were cloaked in a ghostly fog.

Quite taken with Charlie Zone, Nova Scotia, which I saw at 6:00pm this evening, a wonderfully gripping thriller. Avery, a First Nations dockworker and part-time pro street fighter is contracted to rescue a drug addict from a squalid shooting gallery. The suspense and terror are expertly handled, the bloodshed is ghastly.

Yesterday's fare was more than terrific as well. Play Like a Lion: The Legacy of Maestro Ali Akbar Khan, USA, by documentary film maker Joshua Dylan Mellars, was stunning. "Khan's longevity and depth of influence make the film a default history of the impact of Indian music on the West." That evening I was able to see Renoir, France, a fact-based period piece in which, in 1915, 15-year-old Andrée Heuschling becomes the final model to 74-year-old Pierre-Auguste Renoir. Wounded in WWI, Jean, (the future genius of cinema), Renoir's 21-year-old son comes home to convalesce. The cinematography is luscious and captures the love story in which Andrée becomes muse to both father and son. Although not part of the plot, after the war, Heuschling served as the leading lady in a half-dozen silent films by Renoir. Renoir's gorgeously situated home on the Côte d'Azur made me yearn for the sun-dappled days of the last few months! Superlatives are not enough.

Ride well. Cheers, Patrizzio!


P,

I am not able to ride today. Hope to ride on Thursday. W
 
Hi Patrice et al,
I don’t think I can go all the way to Deep Cove due to time constraints but I do have a chiro appointment near Lougheed and Boundary at 10:00 and if you want we could do a loop around Deer lake or something before I head back? .Otherwise I could probably get out tomorrow. Let me know. Al

Sounds good, will confirm later today. Cheers, Al 
I'm also up for a Thursday ride - midmorning (10 ish) would work best for me.
    
8^) cheers, Mark
 
Thursday 10:00am at the crossroads of H & C works for me.

Let me know where and when we start. G

10:00am, at Hastings and Cassiar

10:00am, at Hastings and Cassiar10:00am, at Hastings and Cassiar it is!
    
8^) cheers, Mark 


I'll see you gent's then as well!. (:@) Al

Heartbreak Terrace at 9:40? G

Sounds good, George. See you then. Ray
We've returned from NZ, K in YVR, you've probably seen her.

Wineries in Nelson region plentiful, lots of S Blancs, not all lolly.
You might have even enjoyed the pinots.  Not much bigger wine.

Hope your service for Annie is peaceful, I'll be there in spirit. Love.  S.
Happy birthday to my wonderful mom. Hope you had fun at your surprise party! — with Bella M. Mercado.
  • Bella M. Mercado I did anak, a million thanks to you, Nicole and her family to make my surprised party successful. Patrick, Corine and Chloe did a great job to I know so, thanks a lot to them too.
 

Dear Mark,

As a member of the BC Generations Project, you’re one of more than 25,000 British Columbians who have now volunteered to be part of the largest cancer prevention study ever conducted in this province. Thank you!

By the time our recruitment phase ends next March, we hope to have a total of 40,000 participants on board.  So if you know someone who might be interested in joining this landmark research project, now is the time to give them a friendly poke!  Anyone aged 35-69 is eligible to join, and our new on-line system makes it easier than ever to participate from anywhere in the province.

You can help us build this incredible resource for cancer prevention research.  Simply encourage your friends and family members to learn more and join online by sending them to www.bcgenerationsproject.ca.  You can also include the following paragraph about the BC Generations Project in any newsletters or email lists. Your support is greatly appreciated!


BC Generations Project




Paragraph for emails or newsletters:

More than 25,000 British Columbians have already joined the BC Generations Project – and thousands are still needed by March 2013!  If you’re a BC resident aged 35-69, you can help build a healthier future by joining the province’s largest cancer prevention project.  Learn more and join online at www.bcgenerationsproject.ca.

An eagle-eyed volunteer noticed that the Orientation date in the subject line of my Reminder email of yesterday was Oct 12, but that the date in the text of the email was Oct 11.
The correct date is Thursday evening Oct 11th!
Waterfront Theatre, doors open at 6:30 for volunteer package pickup.
Our apologies for any confusion caused and many thanks for your patience.

Kathryn Fowler, Volunteer Manager

  
Hi Kathryn!

I have a VIFF shift that night so Cora Lee will "mule" my VIWF package and find out anything we need to know about the operation of the bar at Studio 1398. I can always pop by before Tuesday, October 16th, if that is required, Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Corinne is an acceptable stand-in, Patricio.

Kathryn Fowler
Volunteer Manager
***************

2012 Festival: October 16-21

Act as if what you do makes a difference.  It does.  ~William James

Hi Janice:

I trust that you enjoyed the Thanksgiving weekend. We certainly did.

I have attached the latest draft of the order of service for you to look at. I have placed those items which will not appear in the program in bold face for you to peruse. I'm not sure if the text of Corinthians is "exactly" as cited, at least in the KJ versions I consulted. I made a slight change, as you will probably notice, replacing "love" for "charity", in verse 12-13. I think I have the overall order of the Attending to the Spirit section correct but await your reading to confirm that this is so. We have a few days to finalize details but I'd like to have the insert ready by Friday, if possible. Again, thanks very much. Patrick! 


We've returned from NZ, K in YVR, you've probably seen her.

Wineries in Nelson region plentiful, lots of S Blancs, not all lolly.
You might have even enjoyed the pinots.  Not much bigger wine.

Hope your service for Annie is peaceful, I'll be there in spirit.

Love.  S.






No comments:

Post a Comment