Monday 8 October 2012

IIDD, Moondance: Monday, October 8th, Thanksgiving!

Who knows what Columbus would have discovered if America hadn't got in the way. -Stanislaw J. Lec, poet and aphorist (1909-1966)

 
Los Horridos!
 
  • Patrick James Dunn Pondering who will pick up the tab. If it's Mom, we'll order everything! If it's Pierre, we'll order toothpicks and water! If it's Alex, ask the waitress to bring plenty of napkins! If Grandma Dunn was there, she'd pull her own pork chop out of her purse!

  • Ayn P I picked up the tab and they ordered everything...even hot chocolate with whipped cream Poppa!! Loving the image of Grandma Dunn pulling a pork chop out of her purse!
    Chloe Alexis Dunn so handsome, love them so much!!!!!!
Hi Patrick,

Thought I would send you a Photo my daughter's wedding just recently.  Just
so you know the couple on the right is the bride and groom, next to the
bride is her mum and her partner and then of course there is Claire and I.

Talk to you again soon.

Cheers Greg and Claire
 

Hi Pat,

Can you let me know if you get this one!

You appear to have two email addresses : patrick.dunn@ubc.ca and pdunn@mail.ubc.ca  - not sure which is which.

Trust the arrangement for Annie’s memorial service are progressing well; I’m sure it will be fitting tribute to a life well lived.

We have had a bit of excitement here over the last week; last Monday morning Tina received a phone call from the police to say that her mother’s house was on fire and could we get there asap!

By the time we got there a fire engine, an ambulance and two police cars were already there and the fire had been controlled. Turns out that she was cooking lunch for some elderly friends, put a pan of oil on the stove and went outside to chat and promptly forgot about it. The upshot was that the kitchen was destroyed and the entire house badly smoke damaged. Repairs will take at least 2 months – fortunately nobody was injured just a couple of badly shaken oldies!

Will email with more news in a detail if you get this! Ooroo for now, Trevor

Hi TNT:

I sent the message below yesterday. Did you not receive it? Sorry to hear about Tina's Mom's house fire! Life sure is exciting in Adelaide! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Yep – got it – just wanted to make sure you got mine! All good now – have updated your email address in Contacts. Talk soon Trevor

Hi Trev!

Glad all is well on the hardware/software front!  Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pat,
    Everything looks swell at the Island Inn - best of food and wines and contented smiles from Corinne and Chloe. We had our neighbour, Ilsa, as well as Chris, Nevada, and Rob for turkey on Sunday. Ilsa brought a variety of German wheat beer and some strudel for dessert. The leftovers on the 2nd day were even better.
    Creole Belle is by James Lee Burke. I think he's an incredible writer.
    I have a medical appointment in the morning which will take some time so I won't be able to ride, unfortunately. Rains on the way by Friday if the forecast is accurate, so we should make the best use of the next few days.
Ray


Hi Mr Grizzle!

Thanks so much for invitation to your solo sculpture show but we are running the bar at Studio 1398 from Tuesday to Saturday, October 16th-20th.

Today I went for another wonderful ride out to UBC. Cannot get over the incredible weather and so it was a delight just to be on the road. I left a few minutes before 10:00am and knew I had to be back by 1:00pm to have a shower and change before riding downtown to start my shift at
Pacific Cinémathèque at 2:00pm. Did one of my fairly regular "loop routes" along Spanish Banks, Marine Drive o Crown, and then back through Wesbrook Village, along 16th to Imperial and then back to MD. By th etime I'd done some dipsy-doodling through campus I had 60K on the clock at the bottom of the Forsehore Hill and then 71.3K over 3:15:20 for an AVG 21.9kph, MAX 56.7kph by the time The Heartbreak Terrace was in sight.





Quick shower, change and a bit to eat and I was en route to Helmcken and Howe. Good group of volunteers so it was fun chatting with them about the films they'd seen while waiting for the 1:30pm screening, Leones, Argentina/France/Netherlands, to finish. I watched a few minutes, towards the end, but wasn't all that interested. I was selling VIFF memberships for the next show, High Five: An Adoption Saga, BC, and was able to watch it once as Nikki, another volunteer, wasn't interested in the film and was happy to watch the cash box for me.

I was quite keen to see film since I had seen Family Portrait in Black and White by the same director, Julia Ivasnova, at the festival last year. It was about a woman in the Ukraine who takes care of 17 orphans, of mixed marriages. Basically, their mothers were disowned by their families so the film is also about the rampant racism which exists there. This film chronicles the adoption of five biological brothers and sisters, by Cathy and Martin Ward, of Surrey, from an orphanage in the remote village of Gorodnya in rural Ukraine. Quite a story, let me tell you. The director was present to answer questions at the end of the screening so it was fascinating to hear  some of the background details. The eldest daughter, Yulia, was there as well but did not want to be interviewed. That did not stop me for shaking her hand however! Another incredible story. Aside from everything else, (the abuse the children suffered from alcoholic parents is but the starting point), Cathy and Martin are truly to be admired for the fight they had to go through to accomplish the adoption to keep the family together. At more than considerable cost, both financial, (Over $200,000 at a conservative estimate, so that Martin, a nurse, must take a job in the Arctic to be able to afford to raise the family.), and emotional, (the siblings are initially separated when only the adoption of the two youngest sisters is authorized), they manage to "remain devoted to loving and caring for the children as best they can." A wonderfully moving and inspiring film.

Buona Fortuna with your show. Cheers, Il Conduttore! 

Hi Champagne Charlie!

I'm still chortling about the hot dog vendor in NY and the Zen Master! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Marcus Aurelius!

I gather that you are back from sailing the Seven Seas! How was trip? Did you enjou the same good weather that we have had? I was almost run down by a driver coming out of a parkade, vicitim to motion Induced Blindness!!! Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Raymondo!

Pleased to hear that your back isn't keeping you from riding, even if you have lapsed into swilling beer as the excuse for an outing. Starts with lattes and look where things end!!! Don't know either of the two titles you mentioned, unfortunately. My VIFF shift is from 10:00am-3:00pm tomorrow so I won't be able to ride, other than back from near Main and Terminal when I take my car in to Coastal Ford, to leave overnight, for an oil change, etc. However, I'm keen to ride on Wednesday so let me know what you think. Cheers, Patrizzio!



Hi Tiptoe!

I'm still chortling about the homesick truckie!!!  Cheers, Patrice!


Hi Mark,
Wow that is amazing! I feel somewhat vindicated in my collision with the stanchion episode, apparently it simply disappeared momentarily. Clearly focusing on one lycra clad nubile was the problem and I will for safety of course regularly shift my gaze in search of others!.
Cheers, Al
PS, Here is a video that you will find entertaining, sent to me by a a friend who has some bad experiences with some hard core cyclists


Instructions: 1. Stare at the red dot on the girls nose for 30 seconds.
2. Turn your eyes to a plain surface (your ceiling or blank wall).
3. Blink repeatedly and quickly.

Hi Big Al!

I'm still chortling about the clip with the cyclists of the future and the turkey! What a hoot, so to speak!!!  Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hey Corinne & Pat

I will be in Vancouver for one evening only - Wednesday, Oct 17th. I will be staying at the Moda Hotel.

I need to open an account at a Canadian Bank - will see if I can finish this on Wednesday afternoon - I am scheduled to arrive on Alaska Airlines at around 2:30pm - will take the Skytrain downtown, and will call you from there. Hope we connect - would be nice after all these years. Cheers, Amos
Hi We are working at Writers Festival that night doing the bar. We finish at 8 pm. We could meet at the Cat's Social club entrance on Granville Island at 8:30 and walk to our place for a drink and some food. We only live 5 mins from the Market. Look forward to catching up. Best Corinne
I think I can do that - where do you live now? Amos

Hi Amos:

We live at #20-1425 Lamey's Mill Road, 604-XXX-XXX (H), or Cora Lee's cell, 604- YYY-YYY. Give us a shout when you have a minute, once you have settled into your hotel. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics from our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday.

<http://images.businessweek.com/ss/05/11/egreetings/image/01.swf>


Twenty two years ago I brought my Alex into the world on Canadian Thanksgiving Day...one of the best days of my life. Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadians and Happy Birthday to my Alex!! xoxo

  • Patrick James Dunn For He's a Jolly Good Fellow! Hip Hip Hooray!!!
  • Ayn P Thanks everyone! I've passed along your messages to Alex.

    Hi Giorgio!

    Ever think about moving to the West Coast! I'm still riding in shorts!!!
    Cheers from Granville Island Riviera!!!
 Hi Grogg!

Congratulations on Linda's marriage. Thanks for the snap. Is that the last time you'll need to wear a suit? Cheers, Patrizzio!

No comments:

Post a Comment