Monday 25 June 2012

IIDS: Monday, June 25th

True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar; it is not haphazard and superficial. It comes to see that an edifice that produces beggars needs restructuring. -Martin Luther King, Jr., civil-rights leader (1929-1968) 


Photo by Don Hunstein �Sony Collectibles.
Bebop founder and immaculately hip sartorial icon Thelonious Monk was revered for his complex improvisations as well as his indelible compositions, including pieces like "Blue Monk" and "Round Midnight" which have become cornerstones of the standard jazz repertoire of the 20th century. His idiosyncratic persona--crisp knife-sharp suits, pork-pie hats, sunglasses-at-night--provided the perfect visual analog to his musical syncopation, percussive improv and judicious use of rests, pauses and dramatic silence in his music. Don Hunstein's iconic November, 1962 portrait of Monk at the keys--his right hand a blur of inspiration, his left a calm fundamental rock--captures the complexity and paradox of Monk and his music in a photographic silhouette, the absence of concrete detail conveying a multiplicity of soul and information.


Confirmatzione for next Sat, with the provision that If I bring the guts for gluten free rhubarb crumble that I get to use my blue baking dish and the Island Inn oven.

Hi Leggage!

Four No Trump! Fabulous that you can join the Goren Brigade! Unfortunately, Chloë thought that the beautiful blue dish was ours so she gave it away at a baby shower she attended while we were away. You'll be pleased to know it was once of nicest gifts! That's what you get for taking so long to claim items in Left Luggage, (Leggage, I should say!). Guess you'll have to come on Friday to complete all the necessary culinary undertakings. You can sleep with Maggie on the patio. There is a very comfortable chaise lounge there and we have plenty of Mexican blankets.

Let us know when you plan to arrive and we'll roll out the red carpet. Fondestos, L'Chaim and Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Can you let Chloe know that the baking dish was by Emile Henry and I would like it replaced?  It was a birthday gift from a dear friend.  I think she can find one in the cook shop on Granville Island, or maybe The Bay. 
Glad her friend liked it at the baby shower, but I'm laying claim to mine.....thanks, Legs





Hi Legs!

Buona Fortuna on getting blood from a stone! We can't even manage to have Chloë pay for all the feta cheese she uses, let along rent!

Don't fuss your pretty little head about your stinkin' Emile Henry. Had you going, it seems! It is here, slightly chipped and cracked but otherwise in near pristine shape. I'm sure the gluten-free crumble can be used to fill in the cracks and chips, given that the stuff, (gluten-free flour, not your divine crumble!), tastes like Polyfilla anyway! Oops, I didn't say that, did I? Please don't tell Cora Lee!!!

Fondestos, L'Chaim and Cheers to Legs "The Bumpkin" (How you gonna keep them down on the farm once they've seen the lights of the Big Apple?), Levine from Il Conduttore!

Pic: We spit on Emile Henry here at The Island Inn! In fact, we don't give a fig for such cookware!

Il Conductore,

So glad to have provided you with some Monday fun and antics.  I am a little sensitive about that baking dish as Stanza sent it to me for the first birthday I had just after moving to Atlanta.  She had the same one when we were roomates and often made her Grandma's amazing mac&cheese in that dish so it was really thoughtful of her to ship a similar one to me all the way across the continent.  So there, and glad it's safe and sound. 
I made crumble last night for ski friends and used gluten free flour and it was just fine, then again there were oats and almonds in there to drown the wallpaper paste.  Can Corinne have rolled oats or is that on the bad list too?
As far as Sat, is 7 pm too late?  I might be playing a practice mixed dubs game w/ Covey in preparatzione for the Evergreen summer tournament and I think he was thinking about playing at 5 pm, not sure though.  If we dont play then I can get to the Island Inn a bit earlier.  And...I will prep the crumble here at the Fishbowl and bake it at your place if that's ok???
L'chaim, Legs


Hi Legs!



Glad that your deepest baking dish fears have been allayed, even at the expense of your overly sensitive inner self, well and deeply hidden beneath the gruff, aggressive, not to mention pushy, (Move Up!),  Toronto/New Yoik exterior!



Cora Lee thinks oats will be fine as long as they are ancient ancient oats, especially given that her 65th boithday will be in a few weeks!



Don't worry about arrival time. Plenty to do with visiting with everyone beforehand, etc. Say hello to Pepperoni if you play. On a related squash matter, ask him if he knew Kevin Wittwer from the late '70's, early '80's at VRC. He and his wife, Bev, will be staying with us at the end of August. They live in Perth now and will be here for two weeks. Over the course of their stay, we are planning to have a bbq and invite those who knew Kev/Bev from those days. Of course I plan to contact Pepperoni directly but thought I'd get you to mention it to him so that he might think about some others who might have known Kev.



Anyway, have to take Raymundo a belated birthday present, (He turned 70 this past March.), shortly. Picked up some panniers yesterday at MEC and thought I'd put your dish in one to see how well it survives the ride. Probably take a detour through the UBC Endowment Trails to give it a good shake. (I also bought a pair of clip-on riding shoes, (Finally decided to take the plunge, so to speak!), and chap beside me mentioned his doctor broke his hip in a fall there a few days ago! Presumably, a good cookware testing site!) I gather, from what you mentioned about the latest crumble, that the wallpaper glue should be able to put back together what all the king's horses ands all the king's men couldn't do!  No worries, mate! Tuesday morning cheer! Cheers, Il Conduttore!




Hi Pat,

Good to have news from you, and good to hear you have pretty much recovered from your illness. The part about the bike accident sounds terrifying, though. Being a yellow Swede, I always use the brakes going downhill in case the bike should collapse. (But then again, 25-30 K doesn't sound like downhill.)  

I was up at 3.30 this morning to drive Jane to the airport. She's been here for two weeks, and we had a wonderful time, mostly at the cabin, on our own and in the company of friends and relatives on both sides. Anna and her English boyfriend Justin was here for one week, and I plan to go to Canterbury to see them mid-July.
The Whitneys will be here first week of August, as a prelude to the IFLA conference in Helsinki. Joan is just DYING to experience the roughness of cabin life again. And there have been wolf warnings issued for the neighborhood!
As I probably said before, I will go to Vancouver on August 20, to stay until December 10. Accompanied for four weeks by my childhood friend Christer, who got an offer of early retirement from his publishing employer and accepted like a shot. And who will be swapping flats with a neighbour of Jane's at Illahee.

I do hope you and your enchanting wife will not be gone travelling for the whole of the fall. (Did I tell you Paul treated me to a "Steinbeck Tour" to Monterey during late September early August? Probably.)
Bestestos and fondestos,

Kjell (and Jane, although at present somewhere between Frankfurt and Vancouver)  

Hi Kjell!


Pleased that Jane's visit went so swimmingly although a bit alarmed by "Wolf Warnings"! Joan will be beside herself. Has the shower floor been fixed? Some guest might sue!!!


Monterey junket sounds terrific. I like that area and always enjoy drive from Gilroy south past Salinas. We will probably leave for Winnipeg sometime before the end of July, beginning of August. Our travel dates have changed somewhat, as plans of friend, Jessica, from Fresno, for visiting her mother in Duncan, have subsequently been altered. Originally we were to attend Jessica's 50th birthday over the August long weekend and then head east. Celebration, as first conceived, is off now as her Mother was diagnosed with cancer and Jessica will be arriving earlier, without her family, to help her Mom through surgery, etc. We still hope to visit and probably won't stay but for a short time.


Into this mix we are expecting a family, Karin and Jaap Harkema, from Holland sometime in July. They asked if they could stay for a few days and we are delighted to have them. However, they have not confirmed their dates, in spite of repeated emails on my part. Folk Fest is on weekend of July 13th/14th/15th and Cora Lee's 65th birthday is on July 19th. Ayn is flying up from LA on July 17th to be part of celebration. We need to be back in Vancouver before the end of August as we have friends, Bev/Kevin Wittwer, from Perth, staying for two weeks. I knew Kev from the late '70's, early '80's at VRC squash playing days. Over the course of their stay, we are planning to have a bbq and invite those who knew Kev/Bev then. 


On the biking front, I had to have a haircut yesterday so decided to ride out to UBC and then along Marine Drive to 41st and then to West Blvd where Dino cuts my hair at Economy Barbershop. It is about 20K to Crown and MD  so if I tag that ride on after Horseshoe Bay, (When I've built up my stamina and endurance.), it will be about 110K. After haircut I headed for MEC on Broadway, just east of Columbia. I wanted to pick up a belated birthday present for Raymundo, (He turned 70 this past March.), and had decided upon some panniers. While I was there I decided I should put my money where my mouth is and bought a pair of clip-on riding shoes and requisite pedals. Finally decided to take the plunge, so to speak! 


Have been talking about it for some time but have always been a bit shy about "release'" aspect. I know many friends who have "toppled' over, forgetting that they are clipped in. Robo Ray and Whirlygig both use them and they have urged me to upgrade. I know that I simply need to get used to wearing them. If I am serious about buying a lighter, high end road bike, I know that I need to use clips so this is my graduated approach. Hope to change pedals today and try out the shoes. I bought double-side pedals so that one can use the bike with ordinary foot wear. Did this so that if someone else, (visitors, most likely), at some point, uses the bike it will be more flexible. Wish me luck. I might stay away from hills for a bit. Tumbling over at almost 50K coming down from Prospect Point would be catastrophic. Falling over at a stop light, bad enough!


Bit of drizzle now so not sure if I'll ride to Ray's place or not. Don't want to get his brand spanking new, baby blue panniers wet! Cheers, Trizzio!


Snap: Luxury! Sheer Luxury!!


P,

Barnacle has nothing on me. My yoga-latte schedule is looking quite full
this week. 

The local 2nd Avenue sisterhood could join the picking gig on Friday. W



Hi W, (For Weasel not Whirlygig)!


Robo Ray and I have decided upon strawberry gig, with camels and elephants, (Those berries we don't pick, we'll crush! Instant jammage, not collateral damage!), domani as Friday is Grouse Grindage, or at least that is Stefano's plan. If he has changed his mind, i'll send out an APB on Thursday, after collecting him at YVR.


Does Jake have any hockey elbow/shoulder pads he's not using? Bit of drizzle now so not sure if I'll ride to Ray's place or not. Don't want to get his brand spanking new, baby blue panniers wet! Decided I might as well get "ordinary" ones while he is fussing about one piece gear. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Greetings to all at the Inn

Just watching the first rounds of the Wimbledon. I didn't really watch the French Open but I am looking to see Jo-Wilfried Tsonga as his serving strength was remarkable in that event.

Nothing much here . Wally's brother lives in Sicamous so is seeing flooding up close but his place isn't threatened. Benches near our parks are sitting in water but don't know how they are faring Barriere way.

One old Barrierite friend who worked as an assistant in the library is in the hospital with lung cancer. I am trying to work my leg a little. My ailment pales in comparison.

we are thinking about getting the trailer mobile in the next few weeks. Have to play low key tis summer as we ended up having to buy a used vehicle for Dana as their car literally fell apart on the rough road to Red Lake.
Best to all Brenda



Hi Brenda Louise!


Many of my cycling friends are glued to the European Soccer Cup, so much so that they decline to ride for fear of missing games! As well, know what you mean about our "ailments" paling in comparison. We are off to a memorial service tomorrow for the father of one of Chloë's closest friends, George. He was, before retiring, an extremely well-regarded elementary teacher wirh VSB. Always a smoker, he had been battling lung cancer for last few years. Doubly sad as his parents owned huge holdings in Dunbar, (conservative estimate is well over $20 million), but once mother died, two sisters tried to leave George out of estate. Almost soap opera-like in all the bizarre familial and legal twists and turns. 


Our summer travel itinerary has changed somewhat, as plans of friend, Jessica, from Fresno, for visiting her mother in Duncan, have subsequently been altered. Originally we were to attend Jessica's 50th birthday over the August long weekend and then head east. Celebration, as first conceived, is off now as her Mother was diagnosed with cancer and Jessica will be arriving earlier, without her family, to help her Mom through surgery, etc. We still hope to visit though probably won't stay for but a short time.


Hi Patrick and Corinne,

Holy, you guys are very busy as always! When are you leaving for Winnipeg?
I will be in Germany/ Montreal from July 18 until Aug 24. Henning will be
here middle of August til beginning of October (except for when he goes
hunting as well)... In case you have time to get together before your
Winnipeg trip. Thank you for your Congrats- I will pass on to Tommy &
Minnie.


I'm at work now, so gotta run. Xoxox Laura



Hi Laura!


We will probably leave for Winnipeg sometime before the end of July, beginning of August. We need to be back in Vancouver before the end of August as we have friends, Bev/Kevin Wittwer, from Perth, staying for two weeks. Hope we can see you and Henning at some point, once everyone is back and he isn't hunting! Cheers, Trizzio!


Thanks for the news. Sorry to hear about the injury accident--my heart skips a beat every time I hear of a bicycle auto collission on the radio traffic report. (Also pedestrian/auto!)


Have a great Canada Day. I will be busy finding a place to live in Medicine Hat--hopefully locking that into place in the next week or so. My current lease is up July 31. I have finished off my appt in Cochrane and not taken a new appt, so I think that is called retirement. 

Jan and I are planning to motor west in late August. We will be in Penticton for Canada IronMan Aug 23 to 26. Jan's daughter, Emily, will be competing for the third year in a row. I think she wants to get her time down to 12:15 hrs. I think her best in Penticton is 12:32 hrs. 

Anyway we have no firm plans after Penticton except we both have folks to visit in Vancouver and on Vancouver Island. Will keep you posted and hope for a bridge game and a good visit. Sorry about the illegible postcard--I can't read my own writing so I don't know why I think anybody else could. Ride safe.




Hi Zirc!


I was just kidding about the card! I'm one to talk!!! Congratulations on finally retiring! I'll believe it when it actually happens, however. Move to Medicine Hat will be convenient for learning how to bake!


If you are here before the very end of August, please think about staying after Penticton, if that works for you. We need to be back in Vancouver before the end of August as we have friends, Bev/Kevin Wittwer, from Perth, staying for two weeks. Not sure if they arrive on August 30th or 31st but, as mentioned above, we'd love to see you before that or after VI, whichever is more convenient. Cheers, Patrizzio!
























No comments:

Post a Comment