Tuesday 26 June 2012

IIDS: Tuesday, June 26th

The church says: The body is a sin. Science says: The body is a machine. Advertising says: The body is a business. The body says: I am a fiesta. -Eduardo Galeano, journalist and novelist (b. 1940) 




Good morning Patrick

Sorry to hear about your friend's accident and your self inflicited injury.

Its that time of year when one could spend all waking hours watching sport; our interest in the euro football has understandably waned after our deserved defeat on penalties by Italy to be replaced by Wimbledon , European Athletics Championships, Tour de France ,one day cricket against Aussies and the Olympics.

Nevertheless Chris and I were on the bikes yesterday not that our distances can be mentioned in the same breath as yours and Ray's. I persuaded Chris to do without the cafe latte as we have been eating out too much lately.

Currently I am trying to book a cottage in the Lakes for the family but Ed only has two weeks in August off from Medical school so that is turning out to be difficult to arrange with school holidays then.

We have enjoyed being with the new family addition and I have not been asked to change a nappy nor do a night time feed. Mother has displayed her amazing recovery capability but is disdainful of the nursing home residents who are less alert than herself.  Persuaded her to leave her room to visit the garden on one of the few fine days. May take the bikes up for a ride around the Tees River Barrage when we are up there some time to try and justify the journey better.

We are looking forward to seeing Ray's son Chris next week albeit just for 24 hours or so- I understand he is a historian so I shall be tackling him on Richard III , War of the Roses and Civil War battlefields in the area.

As for next year we are delighted you intend to come up north. Late May or June sounds fine by us- Chris may have a little school/University work to do if it is like most years but other than that we would expect to be around. Even if we weren't for some unknown reason you could still use the house a la Banks. Leave a bit of time to do the North Yorks Moors and coast line( with its Captain Cook links) and the Dales and York itself and of curse some riding. I should say we would hope for a better June than this has been- wettest in a century.

I attach  photos of William at a few days and 3 weeks early delivery due to pre clancia risk.

Best wishes to you all Jim and Chris






























Hi Chris and Jim!

Great snaps of William! I think he has Jim's "pugnacious" nose!! Thanks for generous invitation to visit and hints on North Yorks Moors, etc. Hope to visit the Lake District as well, perhaps even a few distilleries in Speyside! So much to see and do. This evening, over dinner, Corinne mentioned that her Book Club is planning to rent a place in Italy to celebrate their 20th anniversary. Probably at the beginning of September, for two weeks. Significant others are not invited so I have yet to decide what I might do with myself. Not at all worried as have numerous friends I'd like to see, countries/cities I'd like to explore. However, if we do arrive at the end of May it looks like about three and a half months on the road! Would you like to cycle from John O Groats to Lands End? Probably take me about a month, if not more!!!

Cheers to you and Chris, Patrizzio!



Hi Goils!


This is a a collection of messages about Legs and her baking dish:


Confirmatzione for next Sat, with the provision that If I bring the guts for gluten free rhubarb crumble that I get to use my blue baking dish and the Island Inn oven.


Hi Leggage!


Four No Trump! Fabulous that you can join the Goren Brigade! Unfortunately, Chloë thought that the beautiful blue dish was ours so she gave it away at a baby shower she attended while we were away. You'll be pleased to know it was once of nicest gifts! That's what you get for taking so long to claim items in Left Luggage, (Leggage, I should say!). Guess you'll have to come on Friday to complete all the necessary culinary undertakings. You can sleep with Maggie on the patio. There is a very comfortable chaise lounge there and we have plenty of Mexican blankets.


Let us know when you plan to arrive and we'll roll out the red carpet. Fondestos, L'Chaim and Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Can you let Chloe know that the baking dish was by Emile Henry and I would like it replaced?  It was a birthday gift from a dear friend.  I think she can find one in the cook shop on Granville Island, or maybe The Bay. 

Glad her friend liked it at the baby shower, but I'm laying claim to mine.....thanks, Legs


Hi Legs!


Buona Fortuna on getting blood from a stone! We can't even manage to have Chloë 
pay for all the feta cheese she uses, let along rent! 


Don't fuss your pretty little head about your stinkin' Emile Henry. Had you 
going, it seems! It is here, slightly chipped and cracked but otherwise in near 
pristine shape. I'm sure the gluten-free crumble can be used to fill in the 
cracks and chips, given that the stuff, (gluten-free flour, not your divine 
crumble!), tastes like Polyfilla anyway! Oops, I didn't say that, did I? Please 
don't tell Cora Lee!!!


Fondestos, L'Chaim and Cheers to Legs "The Bumpkin" (How you gonna keep them 
down on the farm once they've seen the lights of the Big Apple?), Levine from Il 
Conduttore!


Pic: We spit on Emile Henry here at The Island Inn! In fact, we don't give a fig 
for such cookware!


Il Conductore,

So glad to have provided you with some Monday fun and antics.  I am a little sensitive about that baking dish as Stanza sent it to me for the first birthday I had just after moving to Atlanta.  She had the same one when we were roomates and often made her Grandma's amazing mac&cheese in that dish so it was really thoughtful of her to ship a similar one to me all the way across the continent.  So there, and glad it's safe and sound. 

I made crumble last night for ski friends and used gluten free flour and it was just fine, then again there were oats and almonds in there to drown the wallpaper paste.  Can Corinne have rolled oats or is that on the bad list too?

As far as Sat, is 7 pm too late?  I might be playing a practice mixed dubs game w/ Covey in preparatzione for the Evergreen summer tournament and I think he was thinking about playing at 5 pm, not sure though.  If we dont play then I can get to the Island Inn a bit earlier.  And...I will prep the crumble here at the Fishbowl and bake it at your place if that's ok???

L'chaim, Legs


Hi Legs!


Glad that your deepest baking dish fears have been allayed, even at the expense of your overly sensitive inner self, well and deeply hidden beneath the gruff, aggressive, not to mention pushy, (Move Up!), Toronto/New Yoik exterior!


Cora Lee thinks oats will be fine as long as they are ancient ancient oats, especially given that her 65th boithday will be in a few weeks!


Don't worry about arrival time. Plenty to do with visiting with everyone beforehand, etc. Say hello to Pepperoni if you play. On a related squash matter, ask him if he knew Kevin Wittwer from the late '70's, early '80's at VRC. He and his wife, Bev, will be staying with us at the end of August. They live in Perth now and will be here for two weeks. Over the course of their stay, we are planning to have a bbq and invite those who knew Kev/Bev from those days. Of course I plan to contact Pepperoni directly but thought I'd get you to mention it to him so that he might think about some others who might have known Kev.


Anyway, have to take Raymundo a belated birthday present, (He turned 70 this past March.), shortly. Picked up some panniers yesterday at MEC and thought I'd put your dish in one to see how well it survives the ride. Probably take a detour through the UBC Endowment Trails to give it a good shake. (I also bought a pair of clip-on riding shoes, (Finally decided to take the plunge, so to speak!), and chap beside me mentioned his doctor broke his hip in a fall there a few days ago! Presumably, a good cookware testing site!) I gather, from what you mentioned about the latest crumble, that the wallpaper glue should be able to put back together what all the king's horses ands all the king's men couldn't do!  No worries, mate! Tuesday morning cheer! Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Patriçio,

I have only three excuses for missing the strawberry ride if it is on Wednesday.  Too many stops, the Portugal vs Spain Eurocup semifinal and the Whitecaps game.  But we will ride to the WC game weather permitting.

Tuesday is possible for me, but I may have to cut out early as I have a social engagement for dinner.  If we go, can we please avoid Marine Drive *totally* … (?)

Patriçio,

I am around, but busy the the next couple of evenings and it sounds you are ebgaged later in the week.  If the computer issue neds an immediate tweek I can pop by and tae a rain check on the M&M.

Hi Ragin'!

Sorry to cut you out of Strawberry Fields Forever but Robo Ray and I are off to pick the succulent ones domani. He might well go again on Friday, with Whirlygig, so you might want to connect with them if interested. For my part, I'm probably going to do the Grouse Grind with Stefano sometime that day.

With respect to our computers, thanks for offer of coming by. However, most of the problems seem to have evaporated since we changed back to Telus from Shaw. Nonetheless, did want to "grill" you on what you think I might do about my desktop. I can live with it for now but I either have another hard drive replacement, go for a re-conditioned model or a new machine. Too many glitches mirroring problems I had before I replaced hard drive last time. This being the case, I thought I'd like to have your thoughts on these matters. When you have an evening, we could chat over a meal.

You are welcome to join us at The Harbour Terrace Canada Day BBQ on Sunday, anytime after 3:00pm. Otherwise, give me a shout and we'll set up a time to meet and/or ride. Thanks and Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your wonderful hospitality and for getting the musical beds set up. Thanks also to Chloe for being so accommodating. We're really looking forward to seeing everybody. I'll advise you later on our ETA. 
Best wishes, Sok Pan Piotr (that's Jugos Don Pedro in Polish in case you hadn't figured it out) 


Dear Mr Sok Pan Piotr!



I am sorry to inform you that The Island Inn is a hotel and spa, not a tertiary care facility. Nevertheless, thank you for applying for a job with our establishment but we have no need of a bed pan porter. I suggest you direct your inquiries to Broadway Pentacostal Lodge, but a block or so away. I'm sure your professional talents would be more than welcomed there!



However, if you happen to run into your Doppelganger,  Jugos Dom Pedro, please ask him how many nights he and his alluring, not to say seductive, wife plan to stay at the Island Inn. Just trying to orchestrate the Viennese Musical Bed Waltz. Not a booking problem but simply need to know how many chocolates to buy!



On the biking front, I had to have a haircut yesterday so decided to ride out to UBC and then along Marine Drive to 41st and then to West Blvd where Dino cuts my hair at Economy Barbershop. It is about 20K to Crown and MD so if I tag that ride on after Horseshoe Bay, (When I've built up my stamina and endurance.), it will be about 110K. After haircut I headed for MEC on Broadway, just east of Columbia. I wanted to pick up a belated birthday present for Raymundo, (He turned 70 this past March.), and had decided upon some panniers. While I was there I decided I should put my money where my mouth is and bought a pair of clip-on riding shoes and requisite pedals. Finally decided to take the plunge, so to speak! 

Have been talking about it for some time but have always been a bit shy about "release'" aspect. I know many friends who have "toppled' over, forgetting that they are clipped in. Robo Ray and Whirlygig both use them and they have urged me to upgrade. I know that I simply need to get used to wearing them. If I am serious about buying a lighter, high end road bike, I know that I need to use clips so this is my graduated approach. Hope to change pedals today and try out the shoes. I bought double-side pedals so that one can use the bike with ordinary foot wear. Did this so that if someone else, (visitors, most likely), at some point, uses the bike it will be more flexible. Wish me luck. I might stay away from hills for a bit. Tumbling over at almost 50K coming down from Prospect Point would be catastrophic. Falling over at a stop light, bad enough!

Cheers, From the Front Desk at The Island Inn, Trizzio, Bellhop, Parking Valet, Scullion and Chief Bottle Washer!

Snap: Luxury! Sheer Luxury!! How could you turf them out?

Al,


I would love to do the ride you describe so eloquently - just as soon as I get this darn floor finished and we can move back into our bedroom! Of course, I would hope to have you as guide. 
Perhaps he of the burning soles  (i.e. B.S.) could be our  official rope swing tester - being elevated, even temporarily, to those lofty heights should help balance the scales for his recent bipedal transgressions. Mayhap you could apply your technological wizardry to design a vertometer for said rope - this would assist his B.S.ness to calculate his residual purgatoric load (to the nearest 666 nanoseconds, of course).
 
8^) cheers, Mark


Dear Scatologists!



I await the aforementioned "vertometer" with much anticipation. So you see, Dear Taunters, I really need the Sky Hook Vertometer now. I won't be able to stop without danger of falling over like Henry Gibson and his trike on Laugh-In! Cheers, Il Conduttore!



You're such a trouble-maker Papa...Cypress just declared bankruptcy and is asking the European banks for a 9 billion dollar bail-out...they want all former residents to send checks!




Hi Tinsel Town!



I'm not a "trouble-maker", a "fomentor" perhaps! I grew up on Cyprus so I feel no obligation for Cypress!

Fondestos and Cheers, Poppa "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Helmets" San!


Chloe looks like she has a grey mountain lion in her bed!


Cyprus...Cypress....tomatoe....tomato!


Checks...Cheques...Potatoe...Potato!





Pat,

    Spoke with Sara at West Point Cycles on the Boulevard this afternoon. I dealt with her a few years ago when I bought the Rocky Mountain on 10th Avenue  and she is very knowledgable with lots of ideas on how to make the ride most comfortable. Range of Trek bikes (Madone Series) : Aluminum $769 to $1499

                                                                Carbon Fibre $1999 to $8000

    I said there might be 2 of us and she said we could get a deal, whatever that means.

    If you could check your sources and then we could maybe do a cycling tour of the bike shops.

    I have Sara's e-mail so we can arrange to meet with her at some stage if you wish. She operates out of both stores.
    Strawberry fields tomorrow? 9:30 at the Power Station?
Ray


Hi Ray!



Hadn't seen your email before I rode over this afternoon. Thanks for info. As well, we certainly enjoyed the kale in the stir fry. Ate beets and greens separately and they were simply delicious! Will probably have lettuce in next salad. Again, thanks for all the fab vegetables. Talk tomorrow morning but probably 8:30am at Power House, as you mention. Cheers, Patrizzio!



thank you for agreeing to do my interview its...
Teela-Dawn Mann
thank you for agreeing to do my interview
its due july 4th so we still have time :)
hello patrick, any chance this sat we could do...
Teela-Dawn Mann
hello patrick, any chance this sat we could do the interview? around 11 am?

Teela-Dawn Mann
Teela-Dawn Mann
Hi Patrick! How are you feeling? Nicole mentioned the other day that you have pneumonia. I was wondering if you might want to do another interview with me. See you having pneumonia happens to correlate with my next term paper... I have to write a paper based on a interview with a person who has a episodic health challenge. If your interested please let me know. I would very much appreciate it.
Teela-Dawn
Patrick James Dunn
Hi Teela-Dawn!

Sorry I've not replied sooner. Feeling better, I'm pleased to report. I'm off to see the dottore in an hour or so. I'm hoping she'll give me the go ahead to start cycling again! Of course, I'm more than happy to do another interview. Let me know what time/date suits you. For the most part, I'll be staying reasonably close to home for next little while! Cheers, Patrizzio




    • Hi Teela Dawn!

      Saturday at 11:00am is just fine. Where? Let me know what suits you. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Spumoni!


I'm happy to support your efforts! Good work! I'm sure Cora lee will be in touch regarding dates for the Lake, etc. Cheers, Trizzio!

Hi W, (For Weasel not Whirlygig)!

Robo Ray and I have decided upon strawberry gig, with camels and elephants, (Those berries we don't pick, we'll crush! Instant jammage, not collateral damage!), domani as Friday is Grouse Grindage, or at least that is Stefano's plan. If he has changed his mind, i'll send out an APB on Thursday, after collecting him at YVR.

On the biking front, I had to have a haircut yesterday so decided to ride out to UBC and then along Marine Drive to 41st and then to West Blvd where Dino cuts my hair at Economy Barbershop. It is about 20K to Crown and MD so if I tag that ride on after Horseshoe Bay, (When I've built up my stamina and endurance.), it will be about 110K. After haircut I headed for MEC. I wanted to pick up a belated birthday present for Raymundo, (He turned 70 this past March as you might know.), and had decided upon some panniers. While I was there I decided I should put my money where my mouth is and bought a pair of clip-on riding shoes and requisite pedals. Finally decided to take the plunge, so to speak! But I hope not. literalay speaking!

Have been talking about it for some time but have always been a bit shy about "release'" aspect. I have heard many horror stories of friends who have "toppled" over, (one into a dumpster), forgetting that they were clipped in. I know you and Robo Ray both use them and you seem fine, although I notice you haven't been riding in aeons! I know that I simply need to get used to wearing them. If I am serious about buying a lighter, high end road bike, I know that I need to use clips so this is my graduated approach. Hope to change pedals today and try out the shoes. I bought double-side pedals so that one can use the bike with ordinary foot wear. Did this so that if someone else, (visitors, most likely), at some point, uses the bike it will be more flexible. Wish me luck. I might stay away from hills for a bit. Tumbling over at almost 50K coming down from Prospect Point would be catastrophic. Falling over at a stop light, bad enough! Does Jake have any hockey elbow/shoulder pads he's not using?

Bit of drizzle now so not sure if I'll ride to Ray's place or not. Don't want to get his brand spanking new, baby blue panniers wet! Decided I might as well get "ordinary" ones while he is fussing about one piece gear. Cheers, Trizzio!

Snap: Luxury! Sheer Luxury!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment