Tuesday 19 June 2012

IIDS: Tuesday, June 19th

I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve. -Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (1875-1965) 








Hi Patrick


Sorry to hear you have not been well and hope you are well on way to recovery. Ray tells me he hasn't been on his bike and he needs your inspiration.



I am baby minding at present with Ed out at work starting his fifth and last year at medical school while Laura and Chris sleep in to recover from a long interrupted night .



We are back to Wetherby tomorrow via my mother's nursing home and back up to Newcastle again on Thursday to baby sit while L and E go to see Bruce Springsteen. Given baby wasn't due until next week I am surprised Ed bought tickets for this do.



Blue skies today which is the exception - been very wet and predicted to continue this way.

Managed 16 miles on bike on Saturday despite rain and watched as hordes of cyclists doing a 70 mile charity trip to Filey on the coast flashed by. I did this 10 years ago and enjoyed a fine day and a well organised event. Limited numbers allowed since on public roads and also I don't like going back to same people for support.

It sounded like you both had a terrific trip down under and Japan. Travel for us looks like being more problematic with family events at present but my feet shall start itching as winter nears.

Once again I hope you are feeling better. Jim


Hi Jim and Chris!


Thanks for good wishes. I think I'm well and truly on the mend now. Yesterday morning  walked over to Granville Island to watch my friend, Ron Simmer, erect his latest sculpture. He is part of a group, ReVision:


http://www.revision-theartofrecycling.com/Creekhouse2012.html


The current exhibition, outdoors, "Revision@Creekhouse is a 2 month juried exhibit, sale, and festival featuring art made from recycled, salvaged, scrounged or found materials, be it useful, beautiful, odd, playful, or thought provoking." Some absolutely delightful works on display. At any rate, he was putting up  a "Groucho Marx" look-alike. You might enjoy visiting his web page:


http://www.artsblast.com/


I watched as his two friends, Daniel amd Matt, did most of the heavy lifting. I helped Ron when he put the finishing touches to the neck of the Rocking Horse, handing him each individual bolt. A union job!


After we had lattes at Agro Cafe, nearbye, I went to visit Mom. She was pretty sleepy but I managed to cut her finger nails. Unfortunately, nipped her little finger when she jerked her hand, so felt badly although she didn't complain at all. Guess it is a good sign that she still responds to a stimulus of one sort or another.


After I'd put a band-aid on the tip, to staunch the bleeding, I returned home to suit up and head out for a ride, day being quite lovely, although breeze was pleasant but coolish at times. I had decided I'd head over Lion's Gate as thought that it was time to test my legs and lungs on the approach hill and the bridge deck itself. Took things slowly and felt just fine. Once over, headed east onto the North Shore Spirit Trail Greenway, along Bridge Road and Welch Street. In fact, this section, a 4-metre-wide separated multi-use trail, was officially opened this past Saturday. A segment that had not been paved, before we left in March, is now finished and the trail itself extended to Whonnock Street where one can take a fancy new "serpentine" bridge, the Harbourside West Overpass, (opened last year), for pedestrians and cyclists, over the CN railroad tracks and Mackay Creek, (I believe), to Kings Mill Walk Park, ending at Fell Street. From there I took a few surface streets, Gostick Place and Bewicke Avenue, to W 2nd Street. I turned around here as I had found what I hoped would be the route we can now take when we ride to Seymour. (I felt a bit like the explorers, Charles Ryder and Cecil Rawling, sent out by Francis Younghusband, to survey a side of the Himalaya utterly unknown to the British! I'm reading Wade Davis' Into the Silence, can't you tell, Dear reader!)) This latest series of trails will allow us to avoid most of the heavy truck traffic along W 1st Street. Still need to figure out how other sections of the trail, east of Harboursde, fit together as one of my goals for the summer is to ride all the way to Deep Cove. Whether this is easily and bike friendly possible, in North Van, or via the Second Narrows/Iron Workers Bridge, remains to be discovered. Stay tuned!


Retraced my earlier route and made for Home Depot, via Ontario, once I was back around Science World. Had to pick up some light bulbs for our kitchen floods and prefer to cycle there as street parking is hard to come by and parkade ridiculously expensive! I begrudge paying when I am spending money at the bloody store! At any rate, I made my purchase an was home just before 6:00pm, a good three hour ride, feet not touching the ground until I stopped at hardware store! Unfortunately, my trusty odometer has given up the ghost, or at least its wiring has done so. Reckless has ordered a new set as computer itself is still working but won't be here for a week or so. Until new connection is installed I'm in the throes of severe odometer withdrawal. If I can't tell how far I've cycled, have I really ridden? "I odometer, therefore I cycle!" Didn't Descartes say that in 1637? Not sure if he was using a hybrid or a road bike, however. Perhaps an early Penny Farthing!


At any rate, I started dinner once I'd replaced the bulb in the fixture. Cora Lee arrived shortly after I started dicing vegetables for a turkey lasagna we were planning to make. Good thing she was home as when I was working on a large leek, the stem slipped on the cutting board and the knife I was using, (literally, a razor sharp beut I'd bought in Tokyo, one of three I'd picked up in Japan), sliced the pad off the third finger of my left hand in an instant! (Drizzled the blood pouring from my exposed finger into the ground turkey sizzling in the frying pan as I thought it might add some flavour!) Once again, the horrors of the trenches, described by Davis, came to mind as I tried to staunch the flow of blood welling from my finger. Hot Lips followed me into the bathroom and applied some Polysporin to a wad of gauze and then clamped it over the wound, encouraging me, saying "You're going to be deformed!"


Finger stung like blazes for a few minutes an then pain subsided into a dull throb. Must say that I soon discovered how much I use this particular digit, everything from typing to flossing and in between. Guess it is my just punishment for nipping Mom's finger earlier in the day. Before going to bed we changed the bandage and the "gaping wound" started to bleed all over again. I should have left the bloodied gauze on as I think I re-opened the wound when I pulled the covering off. Cut is more than skin-deep so if a scab hasn't formed in next day or so I may well have to visit the dottore or a walk-in clinic. Until then, extra rations of malt! Especially with The Sisterhood dropping phrases like "Flesh Eating Disease" into the conversation!





Robo Ray has indicated that he is up for a ride tomorrow or Wednesday. Whirlygig has squash on Thursday so I think we'll try to pelotonate domani. I will suggest either Iona or a guided tour of the Spirit Trail by a wounded but resolute Il Conduttore! 


Thinking about next summer, Cora Lee has mentioned that she'd like to attend CrimeFest 2013 (30 May-2 June), in Bristol. 


http://www.crimefest.com/


If we decide to do this, we'd probably arrive in the UK a few days or a week, beforehand. Still have to arrange with friends in Cornwall about house exchange there but at least dates are starting to fall into place. Of course, would hope to visit latte county around Wetherby and environs so let us know what you think might work, in terms of timing, etc. Of course, you are both welcome to cycle Cornwall with the Canadian elite! More on this when we know more ourselves, of course. Who knows, might even be able to persuade Raymundo to cross the pond and give up tutoring for a bit!


All the best to you and Chris in your grand-parenting duties. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Fireside Slumberer!

Forgit about the Fireside Snooze and admit it was the malt what did youse all in!

Given your squash commitments, Wednesday looks like the day for the Peleton to re-group! Robo Ray sent me an email saying Wednesday or Thursday. I'm free almost all day. What are your time constraints?


Pat,
    I'm keen to ride either Wednesday or Thursday. Ray

Hi Raymond!


Trust tutoring has let up somewhat! Given Giorgio's squash commitments, Wednesday looks like the day for the Peleton to re-group!  I'm free almost all day. What are your time constraints?


 Already thinking about next summer, Cora Lee has mentioned that she'd like to attend CrimeFest 2013 (30 May-2 June), in Bristol. 


http://www.crimefest.com/


If we decide to do this, we'd probably arrive in the UK a few days or a week, beforehand. Still have to arrange with friends in Cornwall about house exchange there but at least dates are starting to fall into place. Of course, would hope to see Chris and Jim in latte county around Wetherby and environs. You and Sylvia are more than welcome to cycle Cornwall with the joint Canadian/British Latte Elite! More on this when we know more ourselves, naturally. Who knows, you might even be persuaded to give up tutoring for a bit, let your garden go to seed and cross the pond!


In any event, let me know about tomorrow's pelotonation. Il suggest either Iona or a guided tour of the Spirit Trail by a wounded but resolute Il Conduttore! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Ciao, bello.  I brought a lovely Vancouver Canucks Autism bracelet to church for you yesterday and Corinne refused to take it for you!!!  Clearly, we have to meet clandestinely - perhaps you, David and me/I could enjoy a bicycle ride around the seawall some weekend.  We cycling around your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago and found a jacaranda tree in full bloom near the island.

Yes, the next 3.5 months cannot go quickly enough.  David is taking me to New York to the Metropolitan opera for my combination 65th and Retirement.

People still ask after you at the pool.

At work, will correspond more later.  Oh, we very much enjoyed The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, playing at Tinseltown - free parking and comfortable seating. Cheers, Doug

Hi Gran Duggacio!

Thanks for trying to pass along VCA bracelet. Shame on Cora Lee for not taking it! Any time you and David are up for a ride, just let me know. New York sounds wonderful. That's probably why Cora Lee wouldn't take bracelet as she was green with envy and jealousy about your coming trip there. Say hello to people at the pool! Nice to be remembered. CL really enjoyed BEMH as well. She and Flamin' saw it in Port Macquarie, NSW.

Hi again, Robert!

Another ride yesterday but not sure how wild it was!

Patriçio,

Good to hear you are more or less back on the straight & narrow. I am just back from our yearly Victoria cycle adventure. You wouldn't like it - we stop for lunch, ice cream, Eurocup games and buxom señoritas.

I am off to mi tio de Anacortes next weekend, but primed to go on a Tour de Richmond Cafés Lattés.

ALERT! I have found this warning that may make you reconsider leading the peleton ...
_______________________________
Branko Peric

Hello Ragin' et al!

Given Whirlygig's squash commitments and Robo Ray's tutoring schedule, Wednesday looks like the day for the Peleton to re-group! I'm free almost all day. What are your time constraints? Let me know about tomorrow's pelotonation. Il suggest either Iona/Steveston or a guided tour of the Spirit Trail by a wounded but resolute, not in the lead, Il Conduttore! Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Stefano!


Sarge was up last evening and wondered when you arrive. Grogg and Lurch will be here on the evening of the 27th. I made a mistake about them being in town last week! Will you be in Vancouver by then? Let us know.


Cheers, Patrizzio!


Pat,
Let me know what time you decide and if I can fit it in, I will. Ray


Greetings!

Reservations at the French Table on Main St for the 6 of us at 7:00PM.

(Main & 23rd, on SE corner)

We'll probably be coming in from the Delta at the Airport, so will likely just meet you there, unless we can get to your place early for a glass or 2....

We'll talk soon. Gregg


We can have a drink at my place. 5 30.


Pat,
There's a certain delicious irony in your your deciding to send us the (ahem) digital picture of the results of your personal pruning. I wonder if I might get a 'print' of it...
     
8^) cheers, Mark

Hi Marcus Aurelius!

Pleased to know you are so "cut-up" about my latest blood-letting! No prints, finger prints or otherwise, I'm afraid, you Ghoul from the Hinterlands of Burnaby. Come and see the carnage yourself as we are riding to Iona domani, (Lift-off at 9:00am from Arbutus and 25th. Let us know if you wish to rendezvous.), to give the sundered flesh a fitting burial at sea, at the end of the sewage outflow pipe! The gulls will be there by the thousands, I'm sure! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Glad that that recovery is going well for Il Conductore, but there's something to be said for having Patrick a little subdued....
 
The General is out of town until early July visiting with his harem back in Onterrible, should we wait until he gets back to get together or move along without him and have him catch the bridge cards another time?
 
Corinne....I did a big drop off at WISH today and will be putting together some more stuff soon, as well as recruiting from the squash ladies....cheers,Karen/Legs


Hi Legs!

I think we should proceed, in an orderly fashion, to the next bridge table and let Generalissimo play catch as catch can! I'll send a messagio to Champagne but need to know your availability for next week or so, beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment