Thursday 14 June 2012

IIDS: Tuesday, June 12th

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, naturalist and author (1817-1862)


Dionysius and friend, Hood River, Oregon
Hi Dionysios!

Terrific to bump into you! Particularly since you are "back in the saddle again!" Thought I'd send along a few snaps from our cycling excursions. Some truly wonderful opportunities in most of the places we visited. Unfortunately, we just scratched the surface. Nevertheless, a wonderful way to see wherever you happen to be situated. Need to be more organized, in terms of own bikes, etc., next time, as it would be a delight to be able to cycle for 75K-100K and not have to worry about handlebar angle, seat, etc. That being said, times we did rent or borrow, it was a blast.

First two shots are from Clare Valley, about an hour north of Barossa. On the Riesling Trail, a former railroad track. Flamin' and Sarge and then me back at our caravan park.

Next two are from McLaren Vale, about an hour south of Adelaide. Shiraz Trail there. Bike rental shop in town.

Last set is from Brisbane. Greg, on the right, was our host/guide. Some great rides along their river wall, akin to our seawall.

Talk soon. Cheers, Il Conduttore!












The power of networks

Thought you might find this video from RSA Animate interesting. (He moves fast, so be ready to start/stop/rewind...)

http://comment.rsablogs.org.uk/2012/05/22/rsa-animate-power-networks/
     
8^) cheers, Mark






Hi Patrick! How are you feeling? Nicole mentioned the other day that you have pneumonia. I was wondering if you might want to do another interview with me. See you having pneumonia happens to correlate with my next term paper... I have to write a paper based on a interview with a person who has a episodic health challenge. If your interested please let me know. I would very much appreciate it.
Teela-Dawn
Hello Fellow Peletonians!

Starting to feel better. Have an appointment with dottore on Friday. Hoping to receive green light on starting back cycling. Still a bit of a cough but am hoping pneumonia has been put in its place.Talk soon, I trust. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


  • Hi Teela-Dawn!

    Sorry I've not replied sooner. Feeling better, I'm pleased to report. I'm off to see the dottore in an hour or so. I'm hoping she'll give me the go ahead to start cycling again! Of course, I'm more than happy to do another interview. Let me know what time/date suits you. For the most part, I'll be staying reasonably close to home for next little while! Cheers, Patrizzio!
Greetings from Nanoose!

We'll be in Van on Wednesday evening, June 27th before catching an early AM flight to see Mom for her 92nd!

If you are free, let's get together.

(Maybe a little pot luck with the clan?)

Let us know if it works.

I'll bring some vinos...Cheers, Gregg


Canada Day Invitation!

Hi Sarge!

I have been meaning to send this to you for a few days now!

On another matter, just heard from Groggage and they will be in town tomorrow for the night before flying east to celebrate the Range Rider's 92nd. He suggested a pot luck. We are tentatively having Roger and Angela, Katie/Brian and Emma for dinner, yet to be confirmed but it looks like it will go ahead. Are you interested and/or available to host The Millionaires and everyone come for a drink to say hello, etc. (I'd have everybody BUT Chloe just wants to have Katie/B/E and Brian's parents!) Our gathering will not go on all that long, primarily because of Emma and her bedtime so you could comeback for dessert and maltage after dinner. That is if you are not already otherwise engaged. Let me know and I'll tell Grog about the situation.

On yet another matter, Stefano will be here towards the end of June and staying with us for a few days. Not sure of exact dates yet. Just heard from him today as well.

Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Guys-

Pat's email said that we would be there tomorrow, but it is June 27th ( a Wednesday).

Look forward to getting together if it works!

Let us know...Gregg


You can always come tomorrow also. We are going to Victoria this weekend for Nicole's Grad. 



                                                                   Maastricht Blues!

 www.johnpippus.com 




Hi Patrick and Corinne.

My outburst at dinner that night was appalling. Strange as it may seem, I do value the first tenet of hospitality: that guests are made welcome from greeting to the last farewell. I'm really sorry I abandoned it by speaking the way I did. And sorry for making you feel unwanted, uncomfortable, and vulnerable.

I dearly value our friendship too. Being with you is the most natural thing in the world, having you return after Darwin was a beautiful expression of your trust, and understanding of your place in our lives. 

Afterwards I've thought long and hard about improving my behaviour. The experience has been salutory, I am clearing the detritus of self regard. Long overdue.

I would like to stay with you at the end of June, I hope you want me to come. With love.Steve.


Hello Stefano!

Of course you are welcome to stay at the end of June. Wouldn't have it any other way. You'll even have your old bedroom back as Chloe will be moving next door this weekend. The Annexe has seen a fair bit of activity since mid-May. First some friends of friends from London and most recently the parents of one of Chloe's friends. Angela and Roger are from Newfoundland. He is now retired from the RCMP. He knew Sarge from there but not well, I gather.

Funnily enough, had a message from Groggage today as well. They will be in town tomorrow. Just for the night as they are off to celebrate Audrey's 92nd. Hope to see them, if briefly, as only night we can manage a get-together with Roger/Angela and family is tomorrow as well! I'd have everyone, (F/S/G/L), BUT Chloe insists on the smaller gathering. Hope we can have drinks before and after dinner, at the very least.

On another matter, had a note from John about the son, Adam, of a friend of his from Rutherglen. He asked if we'd spend a bit of time with him before he is off to Calgary, towards the end of this week, I believe. We were hoping to have him for a meal, etc., and perhaps act as local guides, depending on his interests, etc. Haven't heard from him yet so not sure if he is too shy to phone or fine on his own. Anyway, thought I'd mention it in case John had said anything to you. We don't have any way to contact Adam. Don't even know where he is staying. Offered him a blow-up but John said he had a motel somewhere. Time is short but if you have the opportunity/possibility, perhaps ask John to suggest to Adam that he is more than welcome to contact us.

Will chat soon, I imagine, as your departure is but weeks away. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hey, glad you're still alive.  How'd you get pneumonia?  Serious for winter let alone now.  Sounds like re-entry to Van has been warm, bet you're pleased to be amongst those y' can terrorise to your heart's content.  
Thanks for responding to John - he asked us if it would be alright to contact you, beyond that I'm not sure about Adam - I gather he's a bit shy and hasn't travelled much.  Don't worry if he only makes passing contact - it sounded like a sort of last minute idea from JC.

Say hello to G&F, I'll email them my arrangements, hope I cant make contact either pre or post prairie doggin.
I'm flat out working since leaving the public service - returned as a contractor to write a paper for a Regional Development Australia Committee on social and economic policy implications of the Murray Darling Basin Plan (this is the Eastern Australia equivalent of an anti-tsunami, where a proposal to return 3000-odd gigalitres of the Murray-Darling system to the environment will change the face of eastern Australia forever - mostly for the best, as the natural resource system is exhausted and needs rewatering, to say nothing of reimagining, to be blunt).  

I hope to have the thinking framework completed before I travel - you have to think about addressing an audience of business, political and community leaders who have dealt with the vagaries of flood, drought, pestilence and socio-economic decline with a series of investment proposals that are essentially band-aids, for about 100 years.  Then the good times flow, and everyone forgets.

Thanks for your reply, I look forward to arrival.  Thanks also for arrival hints - I'll get info you you directly, and probably call from LAX. Love y'all.  S.

Hello alumni:


We're working on the Summer 2012 SLAISmatters newsletter, which should be published  in late July.

You may recall that as of the Winter 2012 edition, we’ve increased the Alumni News content significantly and received great feedback. So we’d like to turn to you again for more news about what we are doing, where  we've gone, awards we've won, even non-degree-related news like babies and weddings.  Once again, it means I need your help!


If you have had a "milestone event" in the past six months or so, please consider sharing it with your colleagues. Short and sweet is all I need. Here are a couple of (completely fabricated) examples, recycled from my similar request last winter:



John Day, MLS 1997, is now Systems Librarian with Tamihi Falls College Library, Tamihi Falls WA.



Sophia Lett, MACL 2003, married Leslie Brams in August 2011. They are living in Toronto.



News from brand-new grads and more experienced alumni is equally welcomed.


I'd really appreciate your help with this - send it to me by email,  ideally from the account you use for this list subscription, by Monday June 25.




Thanks so much, and best wishes to all! Michelle

Hi Michelle!

Sounds like you are as busy as ever! Feeling better now, I'm pleased to report. Off to see the dottore in an hour or so. I'm hoping she'll give me the go ahead to start cycling again! Of course, I'll be staying reasonably close to home for next little while! Cheers, Patrizzio!


No comments:

Post a Comment