Wednesday 6 June 2012

IIDS: Wednesday, June 6th

Seek not to follow in the footsteps of men of old; seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho, poet (1644-1694) 

art blog:..and now for something completely different...

Hello! Just posted about my latest gallery exhibit!

You can find details at:

http://DeborahSawyerArt.blogspot.com

Enjoy! Deborah P.S. Fear not, fans of "Evil Greens"! The series
will resume shortly...







Greetings from the Bottom Rung of the Evil Island Inn!

Hi Tamara de Lempicka!

Like your latest painting! So does Cora Lee. She was starting to worry about about re-potting on patio, now that we are back. Needed Maggie as a bodyguard against any Evil Greens here on the West Coast!


Hi Big Al!

Thanks for the Welcome Back! Wonderful trip but it is always wonderful be to be home as well. Yes, Mom suffered a heart attack while we were in Darwin, (about two weeks before we were to leave for Japan), but in talking to Chloe we decided that there was little we could do, by returning, in any event. Given her mental state, even before we left it, is hard to know if she even recognizes us. Once we were satisfied that Chloe would be fine in the event of Mom's death, we decided to continue our trip. Of course, it was a blessing that she was still alive, and relatively well, when we returned last Thursday. I gather you know Whirlygig picked us up at YVR. At any rate we saw Annie almost as soon as we had dumped our bags.

She certainly is a tough old bird! That being said, she is spending most of her time in bed now. Staff get her up around noon and on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I went to the Lodge to feed lunch. She still has an appetite and I assume this is one of the main reasons she is still around. For my past, I was feeling great. Even went for short rides after visiting with Mom, (YVR to collect two corkscrews confiscated In Hong Kong, while in Transit! [More later!], on Friday and out to UBC on Sunday. Didn't really have any jet-lag to speak of and was going to send out a call to the Full Peleton after those couple of leg warmers and we had finally unpacked and settled back in. Mom visited ahd her condition stable, etc.

Unfortunately, fairly early Sunday evening I started to feel a bit funny after dinner. We had enjoyed a delicious meal with Flamin' and Sarge and were sittng in the living room chatting and Nicole said I looked like I needed to go to bed as my eyes looked glassy. I actually didn't feel tired at all but because I did feel a bit "off" I gave my thanks and made my way upstairs. Cora Lee remained to visit and Chloe was having a bite when I walked in. By the time I was at hope I was almost shaking with a fever and chills and started to cough. There is quite bit of white fluffy "stuff", Dogwood I think, around our place. Lots of balls of it even in our Parkade and I cycled through streets of it coming and going to UBC. I started coughing when i was near Jericho on way home and simply assumed it was an allergic reaction. Well, it was a horrible night and every bone and muscle in my body ached, my temples felt like they were being squeezed in a vice, a pounding headache. My stomach muscles, in particular, were like my ribs, whenever I coughed. The pain, while perhaps not excruciating, was such that I would wince when I knew I was going to cough.

I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever felt so ill and beside myself before. I kept imagining, hoping, that this was a 24 hour flu bug, caught somewhere between Narita/Hong Kong and Vancouver. I took all sorts of cold/flu medication and Advil, even some "Mexicans" that have proved relief in the past with a persistent cough. I spent all of Monday in bed, drinking as much as I could manage, and moaning after each coughing bout, breathing in shallow gasps as the pain subsided after the wracking fit. (Through the "fog" of it all, I thought of Jon Krakauer, author of Into Thin Air, an incredible tale of an ascent of Everest gone terribly wrong, in case you don't know it. Well worth a read. Could hardly put it down once started. At one point, due to extreme conditions, he develops a cough and his spasms becomes so violent that he breaks or cracks at least one, if not more, of his ribs. For my part, I felt so desperately ill and uncomfortable that I really didn't care whether I continued breathing or not. I simply cannot imagine his agony and the circumstances under which he was forced to endure it but it gave me some inkling of what strength some individuals can muster.)

Little had changed by Tuesday morning, although I was able to think a little more clearly and told Corinne that I thought I probably had pneumonia. She was able to squeeze me, ahead of her, to see our GP and after a quick listen to my chest, etc., she agreed with my diagnosis and sent me for a blood test and X-ray, clutching a prescription for antibiotics in one hand. Am more than pleased to say that the pain for the coughing has abated, as well as headache and high temperature. However, I still feel lethargic. I have a bite to eat and read and sleep for three or four hours and then repeat this
process all over.

I had intended to send an email two days ago, once back from seeing the doctor and having started taking medication but I simply didn't have the energy. Same held true for most of today but after a fairly light dinner this evening, I decided I really needed to start trying to function. So this rather long-winded apology/explanation for not being in touch sooner. I'm off to have a shower shortly as I usually feel a tad better as a result. Furthermore, I want to try to stay up for a bit as since I've been sleeping most of the day it can be difficult to fall asleep even when I want to do so. Cora Lee and I will watch an episode of MI5 that Chloe recorded for us while we were away.

Trust you and Marilyn, and the Young Brothers, are well. Loads to tell about all sorts of things and am keen to hear about your busy lives as well. Fondestos from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment