Tuesday 26 June 2012

IIDS: Wednesday, June 27th



Many who have spent a lifetime in it can tell us less of love than the child that lost a dog yesterday. -Thornton Wilder, writer (1897-1975) 




Nice one....Poppa....Papa

Good work yourself, Tinsel Town..Drama Queen...


Fine...FIIIIIIIIINE...


 

Mendoza, 300 days of sunshine and a snow-capped mountain view.


Uco Valley, just harvested fruits and vegetables
This looks like a pic that Poppa as a baby would be in!


Hi Goils!

The Facebook snap of the martini with a piece of watermelon looks like a picture the young Ayn would be in! Cheers Poppa "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Fetal Alcohol Syndrome" San!






Hi Brenda Louise!

Many of my cycling friends are glued to the European Soccer Cup, so much so that they decline to ride for fear of missing games! As well, know what you mean about our "ailments" paling in comparison. We are off to a memorial service tomorrow for the father of one of ChloĆ«'s closest friends, George Porter. He was, before retiring, an extremely well-regarded elementary teacher wirh VSB. Always a smoker, he had been battling lung cancer for last few years. Doubly sad as his parents owned huge holdings in Dunbar, (conservative estimate is well over $20 million), but once mother died, two sisters tried to leave George out of estate. Almost soap opera-like in all the bizarre familial and legal twists and turns. 

Our summer travel itinerary has changed somewhat, as plans of friend, Jessica, from Fresno, for visiting her mother in Duncan, have subsequently been altered. Originally we were to attend Jessica's 50th birthday over the August long weekend and then head east. Celebration, as first conceived, is off now as her Mother was diagnosed with cancer and Jessica will be arriving earlier, without her family, to help her Mom through surgery, etc. We still hope to visit though probably won't stay for but a short time.

Into this mix we are expecting a family, Karin and Jaap Harkema, from Holland sometime in July. They asked if they could stay for a few days and we are delighted to have them. However, they have not confirmed their dates, in spite of repeated emails on my part. Folk Fest is on weekend of July 13th/14th/15th and Cora Lee's 65th birthday is on July 19th. Ayn is flying up from LA on July 17th to be part of celebration. We need to be back in Vancouver before the end of August as we have friends, Bev/Kevin Wittwer, from Perth, staying for two weeks. I knew Kev from the late '70's, early '80's at VRC squash playing days. Over the course of their stay, we are planning to have a bbq and invite those who knew Kev/Bev then. We'd love to see you, if you are around, whenever it is we finally manage to sort things out!

On the biking front, went on a simply fabulous ride with Raymundo out to Horseshoe Bay Sunday morning at 10:00am. Took the Lower Levels/Marine Drive once past Dundarave Village and it was a demanding ride, for me at least, let me tell you. Anyway, very, very pleasant. Not overly much traffic but plenty of serious bikers, (lycra, high-end road bikes, etc.), so ride was not at all uncomfortable from a vehicular point of view. Had 70.33K on the clock by the time I was home at just before 2:30pm so slightly more than four hours on the post. First time on that route for both of us so were delighted to have made the effort. Young friend of Ray's had mentioned doing it a few weeks ago and this sparked his interest. Lovely sunny day so that made ride even more enjoyable.

I had to have a haircut yesterday so decided to ride out to UBC and then along Marine Drive to 41st and then to West Blvd where Dino cuts my hair at Economy Barbershop. It is about 20K to Crown and MD so if I tag that ride on after Horseshoe Bay, (When I've built up my stamina and endurance.), it will be about 110K. After haircut I headed for MEC on Broadway, just east of Columbia. I wanted to pick up a belated birthday present for Raymundo, (He turned 70 this past March.), and had decided upon some panniers. While I was there I decided I should put my money where my mouth is and bought a pair of clip-on riding shoes and requisite pedals. Finally decided to take the plunge, so to speak! 

Have been talking about it for some time but have always been a bit shy about "release'" aspect. I know many friends who have "toppled' over, forgetting that they are clipped in. Robo Ray and Whirlygig both use them and they have urged me to upgrade. I know that I simply need to get used to wearing them. If I am serious about buying a lighter, high end road bike, I know that I need to use clips so this is my graduated approach. Hope to change pedals today and try out the shoes. I bought double-side pedals so that one can use the bike with ordinary foot wear. Did this so that if someone else, (visitors, most likely), at some point, uses the bike it will be more flexible. Wish me luck. I might stay away from hills for a bit. Tumbling over at almost 50K coming down from Prospect Point would be catastrophic. Falling over at a stop light, bad enough!

With respect to dangers of cycling, close friend, Lee Bacchus, (squash connection, initially), suffered a very, very nasty fall last week. Raymundo and I rode out to Deep Cove, (Good ride at 57.33K, round trip, but not nearly as demanding as HB.), last Friday morning and returned via Lions Gate. Once we neared Second Beach our thoughts turned to Piston Man and his terrible accident thereabouts, week ago today. Ray had seen the article in the Vancouver Sun on Friday morning and mentioned it to me when we talked on the phone, prior to riding, to set departure time.

Dionysios, (nickname from squash playing days), doesn't really know what happened but believes that there might have been a crack in the front carbon fork. Traveling along at between 25-30K he was pitched face first onto the pavement, his helmet, fortunately, sharing some of the impact. Nevertheless, when the dust finally settled, after being ambulanced to St Paul's, he was fitted with a neck brace to help stabilize the torn ligaments in his neck and a fractured vertabrae. He also suffered a broken cheekbone and a dislocated finger. He looks like he has gone ten rounds with Muhammad Ali after being used as a punching bag for Jake LaMotta! His new nickname is Erich von Stroheim after his role in La Grande Illusion, as a German aviator and aristocrat, Rittmeister (Cavalry Captain) von Rauffenstein. I talked to him that afternoon and he is to see the results of some of the tests this coming week. He said he would like to join us for some "easy" rides once he is back in the saddle. He has some very high end bikes, unlike the plodders we are! 

Bit of drizzle now so not sure if I'll ride to Ray's place or not. Don't want to get his brand spanking new, baby blue panniers wet! Fondestos and Cheers, Trizzio!



George,
    Pat and I are on the strawberry trail this morning, setting off soon. Friday's weather doesn't look so good so maybe next week if you're still interested.
    Both of us seriously considering road bikes and about to embark on a bike shop tour to find the best deal. Will keep you posted. Ray




Ray,

Enjoy your ride to the strawberry fields.

I strongly encourage you to get onto road bikes. Let me know when you get serious about looking at road bikes. I may have some ideas and my son Jake may be able to offer some good advice on hardware, retailers and sizing. G

Thanks, George, I'll take you up on that.
Pat and I picked the berries. 10lb for him and a bit more than 12 for me. We were both picking at the same rate. I'll let you decide on the reason for the discrepancy. Ray





Ray,

Nice field work. Let me guess: Pat’s rate was pick ten -- eat two?  

Hope to get a ride in with you soon. G



Hi Ray;

Giant and Trek both make great bikes. I must say that the difference between 
carbon and aluminum is huge but both have jobs in modern cycling.

Based on your "age" as you like to mention, you will fall in love with the 
carbon frames instantly. They dampen a lot of the road shock and smooth the 
ride out dramatically.

Trek Madone specifically, you may not like as much as the fork rake is quite 
abrupt so the bike can be twitchy. The bonus is the react time of the bike 
seems instantaneous. Giant I can't really comment on as I have not rode the 
bike, but I have friends who ride them and love the OCR series.

My recommendation to you is to try at least 3 different companies and 
mention the rake thing to the store. They will try and put you on something 
that has a longer base and a bit more stability. But definitely go for 
carbon. Also, get the fit; it should be free and they can work around your 
Physical limitations to make you very comfortable.

If you do buy the bike from West Point, mention you are with Dwayne's club 
the Kerrisdale Tri Club and they should give you 15% off (or at least treat 
you nicely :-).


Some interesting comments from Dwayne. No nothing about the fork rake? I'll 
have to look into that.

No comments:

Post a Comment