Saturday 23 June 2012

IIDS: Saturday, June 23rd

The greatest minds are capable of the greatest vices as well as of the greatest virtues. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)







The Enigma Machine! 
Hmmm …

I see the headlines.

PSYCHIATRIST REQUIRES THERAPY AFTER INTERVIEW WITH CONDUCTORE
REFUSES TO TOUCH THE GROUND WITH HIS FOOT.  CLAIMS IT BURNS!


Sadly, I am off to Anacortes again mañana and rain is forecast for the foreseeable future, but I will be back cycling by the next nice day in Vancouver.

I have of course been cycling.  We just did our Victoria weekend.  Juan and I baled Saturday though to watch Eurocup.

Intersting note. Just watched the Czechs lose 0 - 1 to Portugal in the 1/4 finals.  A player was subbed out at 60 minutes and one of the stats was he had run 8.82 kilometres.  Shortly after, another player was subbed out after running 10.8 kilometers. 10K is like 50 times up and down the entire field, usually going with all thrusters engaged.  And we stopped for lunch and ice cream on a flat 30K bike ride ...

OK, but I don't care!  Hopefully El Psycho can cure Señior OCD from his afflictions, aspecially resistance to lattes.

Hi Lads!

Sarge is interested in joining us domani. Any suggestions for departure 
times and destination?

This is what a I relayed to Ragin' earlier:

Hi Ragin' et al!

The Peleton will be pleased to learn that I am "gradually" overcoming my 
phobia! After having the faulty wiring replaced on my trust odometer on 
Thursday, I went for a spin to check calibration. Around Science World to 
Canada Place and then Siwash Rock. Fighting my better instincts, I took a 2K 
dipsy doodle back towards Coal Harbour, once original circumcyclation was 
complete, to give me 42.33K by the time I was back at Heartbreak Terrace. 
Sad to report my feet didn't touch the ground once. I was sorely tempted but 
couldn't, just couldn't bring myself to risk the burning inferno.

Tursday's ride was another matter altogether, however. Robo Ray and I, 
(Whirlygig "bailed", (Note spelling, Ragin'!), claiming a free jazz gig at 
GI), headed out at 9:00am. taking Adanac to Second Narrows, about 10K, and 
thence along Dollarton Highway to Deep Cove. Great ride and not overly much 
traffic so it was quite pleasant. A few good grades but nothing overly 
punishing. We made it to roundabout at the bottom of Deep Cove Village at 
10:33am, 21.33K on the poifectly calibrated odometer! Didn't stop for a 
latte at Deep Cove Pizza but made our way up Gallant Avenue back to Deep 
Cove Road and past Mt Seymour Pkwy where it turns back into Dollarton 
Highway. Past Cates Park and into the Tsleil-Waututh First Nation Reserve 
and the Burrard Cemetary where Chief Dan George is interred.



We decided we'd return via Lions Gate as I wanted to show Robo Man the 
latest extension to the Spirit Trail. Making our way onto Main Street and 
then Cotton Drive we took Low Level Road past the grain elevators and then 
onto Esplanade Ave past Lonsdale Quay to 3rd Street. Up the slight hill on 
Forbes Ave, turning left onto 3rd St at the top. Here, Dear Reader, I mist 
admit that my right foot touched the ground, for the second time! (The first 
had been at Union and Main when we had to wait for the extended light 
there.0 At the top of the hill there were quite a few cars and small vans 
waiting to make their own turns. I was able to weave between vehicles to 
make it to the front of the line but by the time I was at the crest of the 
hill, just before the crosswalk, I was in too high a gear for the speed I 
was now traveling and had to put my right foot on the sidewalk to prevent 
myself from falling over! The Fire of Purgatory tore through the sole of my 
sneaker and the Fire of Hell sizzled my cycling soul!

Once the light changed I moved into the turning lane when traffic thinned 
and had to wait, yet again, for the left-turn light to change. (By this time 
I was resigned to my fate so the third contact was not as painfull, 
physically or psychologically, as the earlier traumas!) Once e we had a 
green, we proceeded but a short distance to Berwicke Ave, turning right here 
to wait for the light. It is too difficult to make a left hand turn at this 
point as traffic is usually very heavy and there is no separate turning 
lane. I was able to circle while waiting for the green so felt a tad better 
after my most recent humiliations. Once heading south on Berwicke we made a 
right onto Gostick Place and then south to intersect with Harbourside Drive. 
West on it until Fell Avenue and then south again to Harbourside Place where 
one can rejoin the Spirit Trail.

As the ride is fairly close to the water at this point, we enjoyed some 
fascinating glimpses of the North Shore industrial park, in particular, the 
two huge, shining mounds of sulphur and one of sawdust, I believe. As well, 
one is afforded a spectacular view of Vancouver's skyscape, almost directly 
opposite Canada Place, from this location. North along Mackay Creek to the 
spiffy Harbourside West Pedestrian and Cycle Overpass to W 1st and then to 
Welch. Close to Pemberton, the Spirit Trail runs parallel to Welch but is 
separate from it all the way to Kwukwum Road leading from the Capilano 
Indian Reserve No. 5. From Wikipedia:

"Xwemelch'stn usually anglicized as Homulchesan, is a large community within 
the Squamish Nation of the Sḵwxwú7mesh people, who are a part of the Coast 
Salish ethnic and linguistic group. The name Xwemelch'stn, translates to 
"Fast Moving Water of Fish", relating to the Capilano River. The village is 
one of the oldest and major villages of the Sḵwxwú7mesh and continues to be 
so, being the Squamish Nation's most populated reserve. The community is 
also known as Capilano Indian Reserve, named like the adjacent Capilano 
River after Chief Joe Capilano. The community to date hold more than 500 
hundred houses, along with the newly named Chief Joe Mathias Centre, the 
"Little Ones School", the Squamish Nation Youth Center, as well as many 
small businesses."

Here one turns left under the Lions Gate Bridge to cross the Capilano River 
on Bridge Road/Wardance Street to turn right onto Taylor Way, north to 
Marine Drive and thence up the long grade of the Lions Gate itself. We 
enjoyed whizzing along Stanley Park Drive and the thrilling descent, 
starting the just past the Prospect Point Picnic Site. Made 49.8kph but 
couldn't push myself past 50K as wind was a bit too strong. Once we neared 
Second Beach our thought turned to Piston Man and his terrible accident 
thereabouts, last Tuesday. Ray had seen the article in the Vancouver Sun 
that morning and mentioned it to me when we talked on the phone, prior to 
riding, to set departure time.

Lee Bacchus, (Dionysios from squash playing days), doesn't really know what 
happened but believes that there might have been a crack in the front carbon 
fork. Traveling along at between 25-30k he was pitched face first onto the 
pavement, his helmet, fortunately, sharing some of the impact. Nevertheless, 
when the dust finally settled, after being ambulanced to St Paul's, he was 
fitted with a neck brace to to help stabilize the torn ligaments in his neck 
and a fractured vertabrae. He also suffered a broken cheekbone and a 
dislocated finger. He looks like he has gone ten rounds with Muhammad Ali 
after being used as a punching bag for Jake LaMotta! His new nickname is 
Erich von Stroheim after his role in La Grande Illusion, as a German aviator 
and aristocrat, Rittmeister (Cavalry Captain) von Rauffenstein.

By the time I was back at the Heartbreak Parkade I had logged 57.33K, Robo 
Ray probably over 61K by time he was at home. A grand ride and longest, for 
me, since returning. Furthermore, we outfoxed the rain forecast with only 
but a few drops as we made our way out of North Van and then again around 
Science World. Once we have our "cycling legs" back, (Raymundo, for his 
part, has not been riding regularly since I've been away.), we hope to 
include a jaunt to Seymour Demonstration Forest, coming back from Deep Cove, 
into the mix. I imagine with that additional distance total might be edging 
close to 100K so we spit on luncheon partakers and ice cream devourers!

Give me a shout when you are back from Anacortes. We need computer advice 
and help in exchange for a meal and malt. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Let me know what you think about tomorrow's ride. I'm keen for Seymour but 
Steveston is another possibility. Around 10:00am? Cheers, Patrizzio!

10's good for me although I will have to tape the England/Italy game on at 
11. Any interest in the Horseshoe Bay run? I'm easy and can meet at 
Heartbreak.
Ray



No comments:

Post a Comment