Saturday 15 September 2012

IIDD, Try: Saturday, September 15th

Prolonged study of the English language leaves me with a conviction that nearly all the linguistic tendencies of the present day have been displayed in earlier centuries, and it is self-evident that the language has not bled to death through change. Vulgarity finds its antidote; old crudities become softened with time. Distinctions, both those that are useful and those that are burdensome, flourish and die, reflourish and die again. -Robert W. Burchfield, lexicographer (1923-2004)



 Hi  guys:

Well we made it home, was a very long trip and we are very tired. Kevin still coughing but seems okay. Will write to you soon, when we rest up. Lots of Luv Kev and Bev
Hi Bev and Kev!

Delighted you are safely home in spite of the punishing flight! Hope Kev beats the cough soon.

On Friday afternoon, the three of us, Chloë, Cora Lee and I, met with Janice Guthrie, one of the ministers at Trinity, to begin planning Mom's memorial, set for October 14th. Derek and Gayle came over in the morning. Derek and I are went for a 52K spin out to UBC as I was hoping to obtain a "gauge"on the steepness of the hills I can expect near Truro, where they live. We took "luncheon" at the GI Hotel, once back, and enjoyed the wonderful salads on the outdooor patio, overlooking the house boats and the north shore of False Creek. Simply gorgeous day.



We are still on the move, so to speak, house/cat sitting at Madroña Manor, in Parksville, for next two weeks, or so, as i think you will recall. Cora Lee left at 9:00am this morning. I had the car loaded, stuffed to the gills. gain, as I think you know, I will be attending a Memorial for former UBC Librarian, Basil Stuart-Stubbs, at UBC, on Sunday. When I received notice of memorial service I decided I'd like to attend. Since, (weather permitting), I'd planned to ride to Horseshoe Bay and then to Parksville from Departure Bay, I knew I'd not be able to make the two-stage bicycle journey during daylight, given timing of service. Having to be on the Island Highway between Lantzville and Nanoose Bay, in the dark, (let alone GI to HB), probably isn't a good idea!

At the other end of the stay, I'm going to have to be home by September 26th as my first VIFF volunteer shift, (orientation), is scheduled for that evening. Cora Lee will stay, of course, until the 27th when the Millionaires return. Am not sure what her schedule allows after that but I assume she might remain to visit, if she can. For my part, I really would like to stay and find it a bit frustrating that I'm not able to do so. Ironically, my next shift, after the 26th/27th, isn't until October 5th!





Will be busy running errands today as I have heaps to do before Monday morning. Just me and Maggs right now as Chloë is off on her own errands. Lazy Cat is back under the covers of our bed. On Friday, she was crying forlornly, looking for you two! And then, just before we left for the meeting at the church, she wanted out and wouldn't come in when we were ready to leave. Cruel Patrizzio locked her out, of course. About an hour later we returned and shortly after walking in the door, Chloë checked the messages on her phone, after letting a very upset Maggster inside! A neighbour we don't know, Mona, had texted her, (We assume, obtaining her number on Maggie's collar tag.), to say that "this adorable cat was howling like a banshee", (Apparently she went into full purr/rub mode when Mona walked up the path towards our deck.), on what she assumed was our patio, given sign complaining loudly to anyone who would listen to her sad tale of woe and abandonment. She wasn't sure if Maggie was lost, locked out or just a well fed stray! She asked Chloë to call her back to let her know if Maggie was alright, signing off as a "Concerned Cat Owner"! Chloë phoned her right away but she didn't answer so she left a voice message and sent her a snap of Maggie grooming herself, getting ready for dinner an hour before supper time! I've asked Chloë to ask Mona to come over every afternoon, while we are away, so the Maggie can sleep on her lap, now that you are gone, Bev!

At any rate, fond regards and best wishes from Cora Lee and Maggie, especially, to you both. We enjoyed your stay immensely and have already reserved your room, for a month, next year! Fodndestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! 


P, may have to ride earlier. Will confirm when I have my marching orders. W

P(acker),

I am heading out now for several hours. Call me if you are getting on the road in the next hour. I will have my phone. Maybe we can meet up.

W

Hi Dunners,
Just heading to Roberts Creek but got your phone message. I think your email was too big for my system. You might send it to my work address. Cheers, Peps


Hello Roberts Creek!

Hope these go through! Bev/Kev left on Thursday night. Had an email earlier today and they are safely home, although exhausted! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

 Hi Patrick,

This is my latest update on my life as a writer.

Oboe is still with my editor in New York, I expect to get it back this week.

I did a bit of a face lift to the website, better colours mostly. But more importantly, there are two new blog posts that you might be interested in:


  • All the reviews that I have had on Junkie have been 4- or 5-star, so imagine my horror when I got a 2-star review on Goodreads.com. The first sentence said, "I was very tempted to give this book a single star." Horror upon horror! Here's what I did. Read on...
  • I don't usually blog about anything connected with politics but I could not stay silent in the face of the big lie that everyone seems to be believing. Read more...

I'd love to get an update about what is happening in your life, so email me.

One other thing: For the month of Septemeber, I am offering a free copy of Junkie to anyone who signs up for this newsletter. So please forward this email to your friends who might like a good read. Cheers, Robert.

On Twitter? You can follow me @robertpfrench.

Hi Robert!

Pleased that writing/publishing seems to be going very well! Been busy here ever since returning from Winnipeg. Had friends from Perth, Bev and Kevin Wittwer, staying for two weeks. Lovely couple so it was a lovely visit. They left for home on Thursday evening.
I am volunteering at the VIFF and then the VIWF comes right on its heels. Cora Lee and I will be looking after the bar at one of the smaller venues, the stage on the third floor of Festival House. Never a dull moment! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Folks - We expect you will arrive in Nanoose shortly.  Cimcky loves a bit of bacon if he smells it.  He also loves a little cheese.   You will need to give him a lot of cuddles, brushes and love when you arrive and he'll then be secure.  If he 's not quite happy or sure what's going on, he will pee in the crocs in the bathroom or stand on the bathroom scale and pee or pee by the laundry room( we keep the laundry room door closed at all times).  I'm sure Beth will tell you of his current habits, but please email us with any questions ....Enjoy the view and we look forward to seeing you, F and G

Hi Grog and Lurch!

Thanks for your kind words and condolences. In fact, on Friday afternoon, the three of us, Chloë, Cora Lee and I, met with Janice Guthrie, one of the ministers at Trinity, to begin planning Mom's memorial, set for October 14th.

Sounds like you are having a grand time everywhere! Still a bit tender on my right side. Think my elbow jammed into my lower ribs and caused soft tissue bruising as it doesn't hurt when i cough or sneeze, only when my glass is empty!

With respect to Hawaii, Cora Lee and I are still "arguing" about Panama. Agneta wants her to come back to Mexico but I think she might be leaning towards Hawaii if Panama is not on. Of course, we need to decide, finally, one way or another, and this will be one of first things we plan to do once I'm over at your place. We'll send an email as soon as we've figured things out.

Enjoy the remainder of your holiday. Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Hi Lynne and Peter!

Trust you are both well. Thanks for your last kind email, Peter. Sorry I've not responded sooner, (Don't think I have, anyway!), but sad to report that Mom died on Wednesday, August 29th, around 1:00pm. It was a bit of a shock inasmuch as Corinne and I went over in the morning to see her and staff reported that she was very much improved. She had eaten most of a bowl of porridge, (One of her favourite foods as all prairie folk will appreciate!), and downed a full glass of juice. Delighted with the news, we went to see her but the staff were changing her so we decided to deliver Vancouver International Writers Festival programs on Granville Island, (one of our volunteer duties), before coming back. Finished around 12:30pm and came home for a bite of lunch and shortly thereafter we received a call to inform us that she was slipping away. We dropped everything and hurried over to find that she has stopped breathing moments before we arrived. Staff were very considerate and left us to sit with Mom after they had changed her gown. Even though we knew things might well happen like this, at any time, it was still tough, as I'm sure you can appreciate. Just very glad that we were home to be with her for even a few days. As I mentioned above, given her seeming "rally" in the face of the very serious pneumonia, I suppose we all felt that she might pull through, much as she'd done last April. I don't know for sure but I surmise that her poor heart may simply have finally not been strong enough after putting up such a valiant fight.

We spent most of Thursday morning removing all her possessions from her room. Simpler to use a large dolly to wheel all the cartons from the Lodge to our place. The Annexe is now filled with boxes of pictures and ornaments that we will need to sift through when we have time. (Bev/Kevin Wittwer, friends from Perth, arrived two days later, on Friday afternoon, for two weeks, and Greg, my brother-in-law from Winnipeg left on Wednesday night, after being with us for almost a week.) After we had finished, Chloë and Corinne took four large boxes/bags to the Salvation Army Thrift Store on 4th, (First United Thrift Store has closed!), and Mom's TV to their outlet on Broadway and 12th. Corinne had saved some of the nicer items of clothing and jewelry to give to Dodie, Mom's friend there. Once home, I was on the phone to Affordable Crematorium & Burial Ltd., the funeral home nominated by the Memorial Society, Canada Service, Manitoba Civil Service Superannuation Board, to make all the necessary arrangements, cancellation notices for pensions, etc. All of the service personnel I dealt with were extremely considerate, efficient and helpful so I managed to accomplish much of the needed paperwork.

We intend to have a memorial service at Trinity United, the church Mom attended ever since moving to Vancouver, on October 14th. In fact, yesterday afternoon, the three of us, Chloë, Cora Lee and I, met with Janice Guthrie, one of the ministers at Trinity, to begin planning Mom's memorial.

Weather here continues to be glorious and Robo Man and I had a terrific spin out to HB on Thursday. Really was such a wonderful day for it. I continued on to UBC after Raymondo made for home and made for Crown. Down into Musqueam and then back along MD for a dipsy-doodle on road leading to Thunderbird, turning left to go along West Mall for a kilometre or so, and then back, to give me 101K by the time I was at the bottom of the Foreshore Hill. Was able to keep up a pretty good pace, along Spanish Banks, with the wind at my back, more or less, to bring my AVG to 20.4kph over 5:29:51 for a grand total of 112.2K. Best ride, in terms of length, since back in Vancouver so was pleased.

Derek and Gayle, couple from Cornwall, came over in the morning. Derek and I are went for a 52K spin out to UBC as I was hoping to obtain, by comparison, a "gauge"on the steepness of the hills I can expect near Truro, where they live. We took "luncheon" at the GI Hotel, once back, and enjoyed the wonderful salads on the outdoor patio, overlooking the house boats and the north shore of False Creek, as you well know. Another gorgeous day.

We are still on the move, so to speak. Cora Lee left at 9:00am this morning. I had the car loaded, stuffed to the gills. Will be busy running errands today as I have heaps to do before Monday morning. Just me and Maggs right now as Chloë is off on her own errands. We were to travel together, originally, but I will be attending the Memorial for Basil on Sunday. I was wondering if Lynne was planning to be there. When I received notice of memorial service, after departure date for Nanaimo had been set, I decided I'd like to attend. Since, (weather permitting), I'd planned to ride to Horseshoe Bay and then to Parksville from Departure Bay, I knew I'd not be able to make the two-stage bicycle journey during daylight, given timing of service. Having to be on the Island Highway between Lantzville and Nanoose Bay, in the dark, (let alone GI to HB), probably isn't a good idea!

At the other end of the stay, I'm going to have to be home by September 26th as my first VIFF volunteer shift, (orientation), is scheduled for that evening. Cora Lee will stay, of course, until the 27th when The Millionaires, Lurchesca and Grogg, return from France. Am not sure what her schedule allows after that but I assume she might remain to visit, if she can. For my part, I really would like to stay and find it a bit frustrating that I'm not able to do so. Ironically, my next shift, after the 26th/27th, isn't until October 5th! And then the VIWF on the heels of the VIFF. Cora Lee and I will be looking after the bar at one of the smaller venues, the stage on the third floor of Festival House. Never a dull moment!

I finally had a moment to look at the picures of the Dusseldorf Haus! Quite something. However, to be frank, I prefer the warmth of your place as opposed to all the steel and glass and sharp edges. Not that it isn't stunning but give me The Naramata any day. Next up on my list is to go through Shelter point tasting notes. Hope to do that when sipping some of Gregg's malt at Madroña Manor. Seems fitting, for any number of reasons, don't you think! Have you given any thought as to whether you might visit for a few days? You are more than welcome so just send along a email requesting a reservation!

Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Snaps;  Wonderful, wonderful dinner with neighbour, Joanne, upstairs on fourth floor, last Saturday. Met Joan Woodbury, on left, Brenda, on right, someone I went to Isaac Brock Junior High School/Danile MacIntyre High School with in Winnipeg. Last saw each other in 1965! For some reason we didn't recognize each other when we were introduced with first names only. When we had occasion to "explore" our Winnipeg roots, we discovered we lived but houses away from each other, (Joan on Valour Road, I on Spruce Street), and the penny dropped! Sarge with Joanne; Bev, Gayle and Cora Lee; Krissy and Chloë preparing last Sunday's fabulous curry dinner; Bev, Kev and Coriandre on Thursday evening, shortly before they left for airport.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment