Tuesday 11 September 2012

IIDD, Try: Tuesday, September 11th

We establish no religion in this country. We command no worship. We mandate no belief, nor will we ever. Church and state are and must remain separate. -Ronald Reagan, 40th US President (1911-2004)






Tango por los Caminos del Vino






 Amanda Barnes is a British journalist who has been living in Mendoza for 3 years and is still trying her awkward two left feet at tango moves to very little success.

Hi Mr. Grizzle!

Thanks for the invitation. However, do you mean Sunday, September 16th, or Monday, September 17th? Let me know. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Sorry Pat
I meant sunday the 16th... thot we would start early about 3 or 4 before it got dark and cold...
cheers Ron

Hi again, Mr. Grizzle!

Thanks for clarification. I will be attending a Memorial for Basil Stuart-Stubbs at UBC, Sage Bistro, 2:00pm, so I probably won't be arriving until after 4:00-4:30pm. Unfortunately, (as she'd like to see you two), Cora Lee won't be along as she has to be in Parksville on Saturday to take over house-sitting for our friends, The Milionaires, from woman who has been there since they left in early August. When I received notice of memorial service I decided I'd like to attend. Since, (weather permitting), I'd planned to ride to Horseshoe Bay and then to Parksville from Departure Bay, I knew I'd not be able to make the two-stage bicycle journey during daylight, given timing of service. Have to be on the Island Highway between Lantzville and Nanaosse Bay so certainly don't want to be on the busy freeway in the dark!

At any rate, Coriandre sends her regards. Look forward to catching up this coming Sunday. Cheers, Patrizzio!


P,

Good to know the fracas has subsided. Stale Mate may be an incendiary choice of words.

HB sounds good to me. I may have lunch commitments Wednesday -- yet to be confirmed, so an early start may be best for me. W

Hi Wordsmith and Tinsmith!

Is "Hostile" any less pyrotechnic?

8:00ish sounds like ETD if fine with Roofer Ray. HBT to HB and back. Alternatively, why not luncheon at Troll's and then we can join your group!! If it's a business deal, we can put it all on your expense account. Everyone's happy! Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Hi Big Al!

Quite enjoyed the great videos of you continuing to be a naughty boy with firecrackers and such!!! Will forward to Ragin' Bull, et al, as evidence of what happens when your feet touch the ground or you collide with a stanchion!

Thanks for your kind words and condolences. Very much appreciated. In fact, Mom's ashes were delivered yesterday, in a tasteful cherry wood box. I placed it, (much to Coriandre's consternation), next to the tiny ceramic urn containing Mocha Java's remains. Of all our cats, Smokey was Mom's favourite so I thought she would like to bere-united. We will have Mom's remains at the memorial service at Trinity, on October 14th, and then container will be buried beside my Dad's grave, in Winnipeg, sometime next summer.

I noticed, when I returned from my ride, that both containers of ashes had been moved from "centre stage", on the living room coffee table, to a more discrete location, on the bookshelves against the wall! I met Whirlygig and Robo Ray at 25th and Maple at 10:30am and we made the run to Iona. Funnily enough, on the long stretch three riders passed us and said hello as they whizzed ahead. When we arrived at the regional park parking lot they were there, chatting by the side of the road. As I went past I thought I recognized a voice so I turned around and sure enough, it was Lee Bacchus and Peter Bourne, friends from squash days who had first invited me to join them on rides to Steveston when I first started to cycle! They were with another friend, Doug, whom I didn't know, and hadn't recognized us when they went past us earlier. Lee and Peter know Raymondo and Whirlygig from VRC as well. All of us were delighted to see Lee back in the saddle again as he suffered a very, very nasty accident, back in April or May, when one of his carbon fibre forks disintegrated. Don't recall if I mentioned it to you to not but end result was that he had to wear a neck brace for 6-8 weeks!

Ruff
 They were continuing on to Steveston and asked us to join them but we three needed to be back earlier so waved goodbye. We made our way home over CSTB and then Heather. After I left the lads, I did a few dipsy-doodles around Kits Point as I wanted to log at least 50K. Turned out to be 52.3k over 2:45:22 at an AVG of 19.0kph. However, on way back from Iona we took turns at the front and managed to keep the pace between 30-34kph all the way from just after entrance to sewage plant to turn-off that takes one back to bridge to River Rock. Need to do a bit more of that, I think,  if we are going to raise our average speed. Not really a big deal but more of a long-term goal that we can talk about over lattes with Ragin' Bull!

We plan to ride this Wednesday, probably out to Horseshoe Bay, so if you are interested, let us know. Of late, Marcus Aurelius has met us at Science World for various jaunts, although not recently as he is suffering with a bad back. Alternatively, I'm sure we could be persuaded to go to Deep Cove if that is more convenient. On Friday I will be riding with Derek Seymour, friend from Cornwall, (and anyone else interested), with whom we will be doing a house exchange next summer. Probably an up-and-over LG but maybe all the way to HB if Derek feels up to such a ride.

Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Il Conduttore!


Gnasher
 Hi Patrice,
Sounds like you could make a little game out of moving your Mom’s ashes back to the spot you / Annie chose and claim that you have no knowledge of how it happened. I’m sure you could convince Corrine that some higher power is making it happen and then I’m sure she would not want to interfere!
Today is definitely out as far as a long ride goes however I may cycle down to my Chiropractors near Brentwood and do another errand over at 12th and Commercial and then head for home. Friday is a possibility  although time is the biggest thing as I have a lot of stuff to get done but I will see if I could at least join up for part of the ride as I would love to get together for a while. I’ll let you know tomorrow. Take care, Al


you don't have to tell me how special it is to still be receiving birthday cards from my grandparents in Manitoba...I know that many of my friends and loved ones no longer get to experience such happiness...loved

Gentlemen,
    I'll have to wimp out tomorrow. Very busy day today and fancy a lie in followed by a leisurely breakfast in the new kitchen. Also have to meet with Teachers' Tutoring Service in the morning. Maybe a ride Thursday or Friday if anyone available.
Ray

Hi Giorgio and Leisurely Lie-About!

Pretty soon Robo Man will be riding with the latte crowd at this rate! Congrats on the kitchen. Do you need a new Bodum, by chance?

Haven't heard from you Whirlagge so am wondering about domani? I've plenty to do so if it doesn't work until Thursday/Friday that is fine. Cheers, Trizzio!

Vids: From Big Al's latest job!

Hi Janice:

About 3:30pm on Friday afternoon suits both Corinne and Chloƫ so if that is fine with you let's plan to meet at our place then. Will phone tomorrow to confirm. Thanks very much. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Pat,

No need to apologise as you had indeed been in touch sooner – late last week actually – with the sad news of your Mum!

Did you receive my reply? We have been having major problems with Bigpond (our Internet provider) over the last several days so I’m not sure whether our emails are being delivered!

Hope you have recovered from your fall. I’m assuming you were clipped in and couldn’t get your feet out quick enough???

Please pass on our best wishes and thoughts to all.

Ooroo for now Trevor

Ps: Tina has been in to have some work done on her ‘good’ knee – still feeling a bit sore and sorry for herself.

I have many memories of "life with Annie" - from traded barbs between mother and son, to sessions of cut-throat bridge, to meals of various inedibles, to the measured calm and toleration and humor of a steadfast daughter-in-law, and to the obvious affections of family and friends. And what a good son!

With Ruth, I share in sending condolences and wish we could be there for the send-off. We will be in spirit! Love, Randy
Patrick!

I’m sorry to hear about Annie’s passing.  But as you said, she had such a full life, you can’t really wish for anything different.  The picture of her in Mother Theresa garb will forever be burned into my memory!  I’m amazed at the efficiency of everybody working to handle her belongings and paper work.  I’m afraid that we won’t be able to come in Oct for her memorial – Randy’s classes and a travel plan are all around that time.  However, a summer driving trip to her service in Winnipeg might be quite do-able for us, especially if we plan this far in advance.  Would you please keep us posted on the dates?  Naturally, we would love to be there to celebrate Dusty and Clara’s anniversary too, and get to witness the world famous Winnipeg in our own eyes!

The biking accident sounds rather scary – good thing you had the helmet on!  Dallas is starting to show cooler days, and we can’t wait to explore the larger neighborhood on the weekend.  Hope to talk to you and Corinne soon.  Take care!  Cheers to Annie!

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment