Saturday 22 September 2012

IIDD, Try: Saturday, September 22nd, Mom's 99th Birthday

My feeling is that there is nothing in life but refraining from hurting others, and comforting those who are sad. -Olive Schreiner, author (1855-1920) 


Dunn, Anne (Danilevitch/Daniel), September 22nd, 1913 – August 29th, 2012

Anne Dunn, eldest child of Catherine and Adam, outlived brothers, Emil and Walter. She met her future husband, Jimmy Dunn, at a remote mine, Favourable Lake, in Northern Ontario, and they were married in Brandon, in 1943.

Pre-deceased by her husband, 1966, and two gentlemen friends, Anne is survived by her son Patrick, daughter-in-law, Corinne Durston, granddaughter Chloë Dunn, step-granddaughter Ayn Prince, of Los Angeles, together with step-great-grandsons, Pierre and Alexander; niece Sally Hubble, (nee Daniel), of Winnipeg, and nephew, David Daniel, of Dryden; cousins Mary Danilevitch, of Thunder Bay, and Bill Gray, of Hamiota, and Aunt Julia Kozak of Edmonton.

A memorial service will be held at Trinity United, 1805 Larch St, Vancouver, on Sunday, October 14th, at 2:30pm. She will be buried beside her husband, in Winnipeg, at Chapel Lawn.

The family would like to express heartfelt thanks and appreciation to all the staff, particularly to those on the Third Floor, at Broadway Lodge, for all their kindness, consideration and competent care. A contribution to a charity of choice would be in keeping with Anne’s own lifelong concern for the welfare of others.

Hi Chloë! (And Ayn, but I don't think file size will allow delivery!)

Hope you and Maggs are feeling better. Say hello to Andrew for me!!! Today, in fact, was first overcast day since arriving. I didn't mind as I went for the longest ride of my "professional career" today. Left at about 11:30am and went north, making for Bowser. I have ridden there on earlier visits so knew i wanted to go at least 10K beyond for a 100K round trip. I enjoyed traveling over the parts of the route I'd already done and was quite looking forward to exploring new territory, so to speak.

Once I'd reached Bowser I kept heading north along the Island Highway to Deep Bay and Fanny Bay beyond. Latter is known for its oysters and I saw about twenty seagulls screeching overhead an oyster processing plant, waiting for a "free lunch"! As I cycled past, a woman with a wheelbarrow full of shucked oyster shells came out of one of the buildings and I assumed this was the "takeaway" the gulls were waiting for. I kept on going and made for Buckley Bay where one catches the ferry to Denman and Hornby. Past there lies Union Bay, about 6K further north, so I made that my turn-around point as it would register 70K on my odometre. 

Going from Fanny Bay to Union Bay Industries, (a logging depot of some sort, by the activity I noticed as I approached), was pretty smooth sailing, flat road surface and prevailing wind at my back. However, once I turned around, I was in for a grueling ride all the way home. Beastly, horrid head wind plagued me every inch of the way and I was overly frustrated by this for a number of reasons. In the first instance, I was starting to feel a tad tired but more importantly, as I'm now an "elite" cyclist, (!), I was concerned that my AVG speed would drop well below 20kph, given the hurricadoes I had to ride into. Nevertheless, I did my best and kept plugging along, gaining a bit of respite, every so often, whenever the road took itself between stands of timber which provided a bit of a wind break. When I cycled along the open stretches of each of the various bays, I dropped to between 10-15kph so stiff was the breeze.

I must admit, my legs were tiring by about 80K and I wondered at the wisdom of my ride. Fortunately, once I reached Rosewall Creek, just south of Fanny Bay, I seemed to catch my second breath and I girded my loins for the long, gradual climb that would take me into Bowser, once over the crest of the intervening hill. When I "sailed" through Bowser, I knew I was in good shape, inasmuch as I only had 40K left. More importantly, I only had the hill out of Qualicum Beach ahead and the rest of the journey, more or less, both before and after that, was downhill. I certainly enjoyed the down slopes, stretching my back and legs as I "flew" downhill, in spite of the unrelenting head wind. Struggled along QB as the wind was fierce there. No protection at all and I could only gaze upon the whitecaps in he bay, knowing the wind was whipping them to a froth to my detriment!
 
 The hill out of QB was almost a relief as the wind abated until I reached the crest but by this time I was "hell bent for leather" and had almost reached the down slope into Parksville. I kept chugging along and although my legs had little "oomphffff", I kept reminding myself that the end was in sight. Soon I was over the bridge at French Creek and grinding up the last hill before Parksville. Virtually downhill from there on until a slight climb, out of Parksville proper, across the Englishman River, and then onto Industrial Way through the Parksville Industrial Park, (no traffic to speak of), to cross the Island Highway East past the Craig Heritage Park and Museum, and connect with North West Bay Road which would take me home.

I must say that I had figured the distance out pretty well so I only needed to go past Beaver Wharf Road as far as Wall Beach Road and then, via Acacia Road, Ballenas Road, Brunt Road and Craig Drive, (short jaunts all), to Madroña Drive and home. Pleased as punch, happy as a lark, smiling from ear to ear, I touched down with 143.3K over 6:32:08 for an AVG of 21.9kph and a MAX of 57.3kph, on hill leading down into Qualicum Landing.

Found Coriandre watching TV. The kitchen made my mouth water as she had a chicken roasting and cannellini beans simmering on the stove stop. I had a quick shower and we opened a tasty bottle of Malbec, a 2010 Errazuriz Single Vineyard Carmenire, 14%, that complimented the meal extraordinarily well. We chatted and planned the next few days and then the "chef" repaired to watch more TV. We hoped to see the Doc Martin we missed the ending of, while Bev and Kev were staying, but it was an earlier episode. This being the case, I decided to catch up on email, hence this epistle.

Well, time to say goodnight. Busy day tomorrow as neighbours, Nancy and John, will come for lunch and then Jean and John arrive, from Victoria for the night. They will be bringing Benson, their Dalmatian, so am wondering how Cimcky will manage! Fondestos, Nana and Dad!

Pics: Cora Lee in front of the Old School House Arts Centre in Qualicum Beach; stand in Mountie for Sarge, in an antique store in QB; abandoned house at French Creek, near seafood store.

Patrick,
Sincere condolences on the loss of your dear mother.
I know how big a part of your life she has always been, your partner in life and your partner in bridge if I remember correctly. You and I both share the chance of  having been blessed with a mother who lived well and alert easing herself into old age with grace.
May you have memories for comfort, friends for support and the love of your family to ease your sorrow.
My thoughts are with you and Corinne.
Ginette
p.s I will be away from Vancouver on October 14 so unfortunately will not be present at her memorial service.

Dear Ginette:

Thank you for the very thoughtful and comforting message you sent after learning of Mom's death. It was so heartfelt that I couldn't really be sad but rather cherished her wonderful life even more. Again, thank you for your care and empathy.

I trust you and Bruce are well.At the moment, Cora Lee and I are in Parksville, house/cat sitting for friends. Have been here since a week ago this past Saturday and will be heading back to Vancouver on Wednesday as I am volunteering for the Vancouver International Film Festival and have an orientation session that evening.

Fondestos from Corinne. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: A number of friends have visited: Jean and John Anderson, originally from Winnipeg, now living in Victoria. Benson is their Dalmatian. Young couple, Annabel and Robert, neighbours here, across the street, are from Scotland, both vets, staying for a year or so.

Hi Champagne and O Susannah!

Enjoyed the wine cartoons! Thanks. Trust you are both well. Life is more than grand here at Madroña Manor, Il Palazzo di Millionaires, in spite of the fact that Grogg locked his wine cellar!!!


Fondestos from Coramandel to you both. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Lynn and Barb at Englishman River Falls. Met them in Mexico two years ago. They live in Enderby and we stayed with them on way back from Winnipeg, this past August. They were visiting VI with other friends and stayed with us overnight this past Tuesday. We had a wonderful evening of bridge, The Brotherhood triumphant over The Sisterhood!!!

Ginette Bertrandposted toPatrick James Dunn

Patrick,
Sincere condolences on the loss of your dear mother.

I know how big a part of your life she has always been, your partner in life and your partner in bridge if I remember correctly. You and I both share the chance of having been blessed with a mother who lived well and alert easing herself into old age with grace.

May you have memories for comfort, friends for support and the love of your family to ease your sorrow.

My thoughts are with you and Corinne.  Ginette

 Hi Sarge!

Trust you didn't work all weekend. Did you ride out to new HQ on Saturday?  Fondestos from Cora Lee, the Cat Whisperer! Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Thought that you might enjoy this message from Grogg:

Reminder to top up his majesty's water glasses each day (multiple top ups some days!), from the filtered fridge dispenser. No plastic in sight, even for a few seconds, or he pounces on it.
Are u ok,with hot tub maintenance? If not sure, just let me know.
Enjoy-still hope arrive YVR at noon Monday, so should make it back by late afternoon.
We can air out the cellar! Cheers, Grog




Hello,
Sounds like a great ride! Say hi to everyone. re Benson, depending on where he hangs out, you may need to move Cimcky's food into the master bathroom. Cheers, Grog



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment