Friday 28 September 2012

IIDD, Try: Saturday, September 29th

 John Donne


 
HOLY SONNETS.

XIV.

Batter my heart, three-person'd God ; for you
As yet but knock ; breathe, shine, and seek to mend ;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town, to another due,
Labour to admit you, but O, to no end.
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy ;
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

                             

'No Man is an Island'         


                             MEDITATION XVII Devotions upon Emergent Occasions  John Donne
 
No man is an island entire of itself; every man              
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; 
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe 
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as 
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine                                          
own were; any man's death diminishes me, 
because I am involved in mankind. 
And therefore never send to know for whom 
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. 


Olde English Version
No man is an Iland, intire of itselfe; every man
is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine;
if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe
is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as
well as if a Manor of thy friends or of thine
owne were; any mans death diminishes me,
because I am involved in Mankinde;
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. 
 
So sorry to hear. I have very fond memories of her trip with us to  Yellowstone,
though with her breaking her ankle, it probably wasn't her favorite. 
 
 
 
  
 
 
At Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles with my Alex
  • Patrick James Dunn Denziel, when's your next movie?
  • Ayn P Denzel rode home on his bike to do his Spanish homework. He'll be 22 next week!
  • Patrick James Dunn I've always said that acting on the Silver Screen keeps one young, especialy if the script is in Spanish!
  • Ayn P *especially* Poppa...(shaking my head in disappointment)
  • Chloe Alexis Dunn so handsome!! xx
  • Ayn P It's his Auntie's beautiful DNA xoxo
Hi Lurch and Grogg!

Great to see Lurch, if only for the evening, last Thursday. Thanks for lovely bottles of wine! Thanks as well for the wonderful tastings just before we left Madroña Manor.

Have been busy with VIFF first two days back and then on Saturday Chloë and I had to take Maggster to the SPCA for a check-up. We were worried about her teeth and her stomach as she had been sick to her stomach a number of times over last few months. In fact, everything went well from the very beginning. Didn't have too, too much trouble getting her into the carrier cage. Was more concerned about that than almost anything else! She can be pretty vicious when unhappy, as I'm sure you know! Anyway, vet said she was pretty healthy and only suggested we try a special diet to help reduce plaque build-up on her teeth. Couldn't believe how relaxed she was while being examined! Poor Chloë was probably more nervous than Maggie as she ended up spilling quite a bit of the container of crunchies she'd brought along to try to take The Devil Cat's attention off what was happening around her. Lid wasn't on properly, I guess. Vet was completely unperturbed by spillage. Very, very pleasant, friendly chap. 

 
Then, once out in the waiting area to have detailed report, Chloë knocked over a plastic picture frame containing snap of a cat up for adoption, while attempting to put a donation in the jar beside the picture. The ensuing fall broke one corner of the frame. Coincidentally, just that morning I had put together almost a box of similar frames when I had removed the pictures, originally displayed in Mom's room at Broadway Lodge, ones I wanted to use for the Memorial. Anyway, will drop most of them off at the SPCA next time I'm by there.


Then, spent quite a bit of the afternoon with Flash, at his studio, but a block from Gourmet Warehouse, working on the program/order of service for Mom's Memorial. He is such a wizard with scanning pictures I provided and Photoshop that he was able to produce what we think is a very fitting and appropriate document. I'll send along a copy once we've met with minister to confirm some of the items in the service. I stopped at Legacy, in Olympic Village, on way home, (I was on my bike as it was another glorious day.), and picked up a bottle of 15 year old Mortlach, Speyside, 43%, for Flash as but a small thank-you for all his incredible work. I've not seen Mortlach in years so was delighted to find it on the shelf this time. Picked up a bottle for myself so am looking forward to a snort, perhaps when you come over for Memorial!

That evening had a wonderful dinner, along with Flamin' and Sarge, at the home of Brenda and Dave, curling mates. They are from Winnipeg, originally, and Brenda was head of HR at VPL for a number of years, which is where she and Cora Lee first met. They live on 1st near Collingwood so we didn't have far to go. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Great wine that Lurch brought. As I told her, we had had it, (not sure if it was the same vintage, of course), at a tiny spot, just around the corner from our appartmento, in Paris, in 2010; Grogg after too, too much Grange! Misha is their Cocker Spaniel! Taken just before we drove home.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



So sorry to hear. I have very fond memories of her trip with us to 
Yellowstone, though with her breaking her ankle, it probably wasn't her 
favorite.

Laury
 
 






































































































No comments:

Post a Comment