Friday 14 September 2012

IIDD, Try: Friday, September 14th

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. -Helen Adams Keller, lecturer and author (1880-1968)

Clarence Hill, Granville Island Studio

 I think you came very close to the perfect son, testimoney is your attentiveness in later years, and the love you demonstrated. 
Vale Annie. 
Be comforted by the great life she had; her own transitions clearly enriched her and you.
Thinking of y'all with love.  S.

Hi Stefano!

Sorry I've not replied sooner. Has been a busy time, of late. Took Bev/Kev, from Perth, to YVR last evening as their two week stay was up. Had a lovely visit and they are very easy guests. Had Kev doing the regular compost run to GI and Maggie loved having Bev's lap to sleep upon when she was reading and Cora Lee was out and about. Yesterday afternoon Kev helped me deliver VIWF programs on GI and we had a jolly time. Kathryn, Volunteer Coordinator, told him I'd never done rounds so quickly. Don't know if that was a compliment to him or a slur on Cora Lee who usually helps or me and my tardy ways!

At any rate, thank you for your kind words and condolences. In fact, the three of us, Chloë, Cora Lee and I, are meeting with Janice Guthrie, one of the ministers at Trinity, this afternoon, to begin planning Mom's memorial, set for October 14th. Derek and Gayle, couple from Cornwall with whom we will exchange homes next summer, are coming over in an hour or so. Derek and I are going for a spin out to UBC as I'm hoping to obtain a "gauge" on the steepness of the hills I can expect near Truro, where they live. We will take "luncheon" on GI once back at a spot so deemed by The Sisterhood.


With respect to house/cat sitting at Madroña Manor, Cora Lee will be going over tomorrow, Saturday. I will be attending a Memorial for UBC Librarian, Basil Stuart-Stubbs, at UBC, on Sunday. When I received notice of memorial service I decided I'd like to attend. Since, (weather permitting), I'd planned to ride to Horseshoe Bay and then to Parksville from Departure Bay, I knew I'd not be able to make the two-stage bicycle journey during daylight, given timing of service. Having to be on the Island Highway between Lantzville and Nanoose Bay, in the dark, (let alone GI to HB),probably isn't a good idea!

At the other end of the stay, I'm going to have to be home by September 26th as my first VIFF volunteer shift, (orientation), is scheduled for that evening. Cora Lee will stay, of course, until the 27th when the Millionaires return. Am not sure what her schedule allows after that but I assume she might remain to visit, if she can. For my part, I really would like to stay and find it a bit frustrating that I'm not able to do so. Ironically, my next shift, after the 26th/27th, isn't until October 5th!


At any rate, fond regards and best wishes from Cora Lee to you both! As you will see when you take a look at the snaps, I have included a picture of your totem pole mentor, Clarence Mills! Bev/Kev took us for a wonderful meal at The Sandbar on Wednesday night and I poppe din to introduce myself to Clarence when I noticed he was working. He remembered you when I reminded him about the kangaroo totem pole, etc. Delightful chap, as you related. He was working on the bracelet shown when I "barged" in. Cheers, Patrizzio!




 Hi Clarence:

Great to meet you and chat briefly, last Wednesday. I'm the friend of Steve Carthew, from Melbourne. He met you in June/July, I believe. This is a snap of him and my wife, Corinne, day before he returned to Australia. Cheers, Patrizzio!





Colleen Cruze, outfitted for work at the Cruze Dairy Farm in Tennessee. Her father has long championed real buttermilk.
  • David Kessler I love to use buttermilk in my baking, and look forward to trying to find "the real McCoy!"
  • Patrick James Dunn Annie loved buttermilk. Her family had their own cow when she grew up in Rivers, Manitoba. She used to take it down to the river, near their home, to water it and let if feed on the grass by the banks, in the hot, dry prairie summer.
    Dear Patrick,

    I am so sorry for the loss of your mother.  It must be a very difficult because she has always been a part of your life.  We have been fortunate to have had our mothers for so long.  Their longevity provides us with a model for living our lives well.  My thoughts are with you and your family, Best, Ann

    Hi Ann!

    Thank you for your kind words and condolences. In fact, the three of us, Chloë, Cora Lee and I, just met with Janice Guthrie, one of the ministers at Trinity, this afternoon, to begin planning Mom's memorial, set for October 14th. Derek and Gayle, couple from Cornwall with whom we will exchange homes next summer, came over this morning. Derek and I are went for a 52K spin out to UBC as I was hoping to obtain a "gauge"on the steepness of the hills I can expect near Truro, where they live. We took "luncheon" at the GI Hotel, once back, and ejoyed the wonderful salads on the outdooor patio, overlooking the house boats and the north shore of False Creek. SImply gorgeous weather, of late.

    We are still on the move, so to speak, house/cat sitting at Madroña Manor, in Parksville, for next two weeks, or so. Cora Lee will be going over tomorrow, Saturday. I will be attending a Memorial for former UBC Librarian, Basil Stuart-Stubbs, at UBC, on Sunday. When I received notice of memorial service I decided I'd like to attend. Since, (weather permitting), I'd planned to ride to Horseshoe Bay and then to Parksville from Departure Bay, I knew I'd not be able to make the two-stage bicycle journey during daylight, given timing of service. Having to be on the Island Highway between Lantzville and Nanoose Bay, in the dark, (let alone GI to HB), probably isn't a good idea!

    At the other end of the stay, I'm going to have to be home by September 26th as my first VIFF volunteer shift, (orientation), is scheduled for that evening. Cora Lee will stay, of course, until the 27th when the Millionaires return. Am not sure what her schedule allows after that but I assume she might remain to visit, if she can. For my part, I really would like to stay and find it a bit frustrating that I'm not able to do so. Ironically, my next shift, after the 26th/27th, isn't until October 5th!


    At any rate, fond regards and best wishes from Cora Lee to you. Cheers, Patrizzio!

    Pics: Bev, (from Perth), Gayle and Cora Lee; Chloë and Krissy, Gayle's youngest daughter, cooking fab curries for last Sunday's dinner; Bev/Kev/Coriandre before thy left for YVR on Thursday evening. They had been staying for past two weeks. We stayed with them, in Perth, in 2003 and 2006. I knew Kev from squash days.


    Send a Greeting Card to Anne Dunn for their Birthday on Saturday September 22nd

    Patrick

    Anne Dunn's birthday is on Saturday September 22nd. Anne will be 99 years old.


    Is anyone interested in a Saturday morning ride? G

    George and Pat,
        My back is giving me trouble and I've just cancelled with Pete. Looks as if a might need a couple of rest days. Ray

    Ray, sorry to hear that. May your back complaint return to normal soon.

    Hi Raymond and Giorgio!

    I am sorry, as well, to hear of your back ailment, Ray. Take care of yourself as we don't want to lose you from the Dwindling Peleton!

    Whirlmeister, I'm up for a ride domani but I'm not going to be free, probably until around 11:00am. Have to help Coriandre load my car for Parksville and then use her car for a number of errands before Chloë needs it. Let me know if a later ride works. Cheers, Il Conduttore!



     




No comments:

Post a Comment