Wednesday 19 September 2012

IIDD, Try: Wednesday, September 19th

To blame the poor for subsisting on welfare has no justice unless we are also willing to judge every rich member of society by how productive he or she is. Taken individual by individual, it is likely that there's more idleness and abuse of government favors among the economically privileged than among the ranks of the disadvantaged. -Norman Mailer, author (1923-2007)

Hello, Patrizio! I understand from Ann Hughes, who I believe to be a
reliable source, that you have recently lost your Mum, and I just
wanted to extend my sympathy at this time.

Ann apparently learned this from an email which I don't seem to have received - no offence taken.


I remember Ann (your Mum) from my earliest meetings with her, when you still lived at Hotel Kits, and while I did meet her more than once in later years, I will rely on memories of her in those more vigorous years going forward.I'm glad you had the opportunity to live close to her and could be there for her as her mobility became limited, and I hope her passing was painless and peaceful. With sympathy, Deborah

Hi Deborah!

Thanks for your kind words and condolences. I do apologize for not being in touch sooner but I would have contacted you as soon as I had a moment. Being in touch with Ann, most recently, was more by chance, inasmuch as we saw her while in Falcon in August. She was there, as you may well know, to celebrate her Mother's 90th birthday. While we were there, Corinne's parents hosted a farewell party for another couple that Betty knew as well and I took pictures of that gathering and sent them along to Ann as she knew Sandee and Arvyl too. Both "cabins", (homes, really), are quite close to each other on the South Shore, as it's called, so Betty will miss their presence.

At any rate, Ann sent a message, a day or so after Mom died, to thank me for the snaps and I replied with the news of her death.

No riding yesterday so I plan to ride north to Bowser, and then some, which would be a 100K round-trip. Coriandre will garden and watch The Young and the restless, at some point, while I'm away.  Fond regards and best wishes from Cora Lee. Cheers, Patrizzio!  

Hello Iris:

I phoned in my Visa card # a few minutes ago. Proof is fine as it stands but "Chloƫ" is spelled this way. "David" is as is. Name of crematorium is below:

Affordable Cremation & Burial Ltd.
Phone: 604-936-9913
Fax: 604-936-6912

Thank you for your helpful service. Patrick Dunn
Dad, my friend Jen, from work, who moved to Nanaimo, her boyfriend is opening a restaurant called Jar ( well he is the second chief in command!!!) and it opens wednesday at 8 am. It is a breakfast/lunch sandwich kind of place, google it and go please!!!! xx

  • Patrick James Dunn Will look forward to scoping it out! Probably when I cycle into Nanaimo to meet someone at the ferry or else we'll take a day trip in the car. If you are planning to come over, we could do that. If you walk on, Nana could meet you and I could meet you both at Jar! Love, Dad!
  • Chloe Alexis Dunn Yeah I was thinking of maybe coming during the week, next week
  • Patrick James Dunn That would be grand so let us know once you've decided, one way or another, and we can plan accordingly. Barb and Lynn just left. I'm going to go for a ride shortly. Nana is going to garden and brush Cimcky. He loves it and rolls around in cat ecstasy! Love, Dad!

Hi Lurch and Grogg!

Thought that you might enjoy a few snaps of your favourite feline! Cora lee was brushing him this morning and he was in ecstasy! After breakfast of yogurt and fresh blackberries, (picked by Barb and Lynn yesterday), they left to visit friends in Duncan. We had a delicous pork loin, on the bbq, corn-on-the-cob and a large salad. Played bridge before and after dinner. Had a great time as they are good players but last time they played was with us in Mexico two years ago! They wanted to sleep in their camper as it is very comfy. They travel all over BC with it and were just back from Whitehorse not long before we saw them in August.

After they left I sent a few messages having to do with Mom's obituary in the Winnipeg Free Press. That completed, I suited up and went for a ride, leaving Cora lee to do a bit of gardening. I headed for Red Gap but took off on the Island Timber private logging road, turn-off just before the Rocking horse Pub, as you probably know. Shannon had mentione dit to me when we were last over so wanted to scope it out. Only followed it to where it crosses the Island Highway. (Will probably call Shannon to quiz him a bit more.)

Turned around and made for Red Gap in earnest. Once down at the Petro Can station I made for Fairwinds as I'd never cycled the "loop" in a counter clockwise direction. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the first hill wasn't as steep as I'd remembered it, coming down, a few years ago. Rest of ride past gold course was very pleasant and before I knew it I was back on NW Bay Road. I had decided to go back down hill to highway and then do the "loop" once more, this time in a clockwise fashion.

Getting used to Red Gap so know how to pace myself and I was soon on Stewart Road and making for Dolphin Road. This leg of the loop seems easier than going the other way but the long climbs on Fairwinds Drive and Powder Point Road seem to go on forever. At any rate, I quite enjoyed whizzing down the last hill and then onto NW Bay Road back to the Petro Can station. Last climb back up wasn't too bad and since I had about 52K on the clock by the time I reached Claudet Road I made for the Beachcomber Marina as I wanted to logh at least 60K before getting back on NW Bay Rd.

Had forgotten how lovely it is along Marina Way/Reef Road and Haida Way and had to laugh at a doe and her fawn munching on peoples' shrubs and flowers! They both gave me a look that said, "Don't tell!" Not sure if I was on Dorcas Point Rioad or not but at some point i retraced my route and was pleased to have 62K under my belt by the time I was back on NWBD. Made for home, having decided I'd add another 18K by cycling the streets around home.

This being the case I turned off on Ballesas Roadand did a number of loops around Burnt Road and Craig Drive until I had 70K on odometer. Then I made for Madrona Drive and did about five repeats, from one end to the other, (roughly 2K from end to end), pedaling like blazes as I wanted to try to bring my average speed over 20kpr. Was able to do just that and with burning calf muscles I pulled into driveway with 81.3K showing for an AVG of 20.3kph over 3:59:59, one second shy of four hours. Was very pleased and almost broke 60kph, (59.2kph Max), on one of hills out of Fairwinds.

Had a quick shower and Cora lee and I enjoyed our first hot-tub. It was simply glorious, especially after my extended ride. After soothing my sore muscles I changed and set about answering some email while Coriandre prepared dinner. We had corn pasta with tomatoe sauce and sliced farmer's sausage, yellow tomatoes with bocconcini, drizzled with balsamic. After dinner we walked over to introduce ourselves to your neighbours across the street, Annabel and Robert. Either I misunderstood you or you didn't know but they are from Scotland not New Zealand! Nevertheless, we had a brief chat and invited them for a drink tomorrow evening. Seemed like a lovely couple so looking forward to getting to know them.

It was a gorgeous night and we reveled in the stars as we walked to collect the mail. Very still with the silence broken only by a cricket or two. Coramandel is watching TV while I scribe, Cimcky on the arm of the couch against the wall. He was very affectionate during dinner, rubbing both our legs. He curled up on Cora Lee's lap this afternoon, for half an hour or so, while she was reading. Maggie must have sent her an email as that is what she loves to do when we are home!

Not sure what tomorrow's plans will be, other than having Annabel and Robert over in the evening. Cora Lee wants to do a bit of grocery shopping so we may well drive into Qualicum Beach, at some point, and wander around, before stopping at Thrifty's on the way home. Coriandre is "mad" about their steaks, (She and Robyn had some before I arrived.), so we might pick up a few. As well, have to stop at the locksmiths to collect key I ordered for your wine cellar. Told the chap that you were away and forgot where you left key so needed another for when you returned. He was very obliging, checked his records and Presto! Must be my honest face!

Will probably be meeting Jean and John at one of the wineries near Duncan on the weekend. Day yet to be determined. Hope to have Nancy and John for lunch or dinner on Friday, if it works for them. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Lynn can't open his eyes due to all the Doorley's rum, (yours), he drank last night! Blind drunk, as the saying goes!!! I tried, in vain, to stop him but he was all jacked up on goofballs and wouldn't listen to reason!!!

Tonight I made a Frittata for the first time, it tasted great, but I only got to try it after I grabbed the pan that had been in the oven for ten minutes at 400!!!!
Stupid stupid me.
Patrick James Dunn At least you can still type! Did Maggie lick your wounds?

Hi Chloƫ!

Nana can't get TV in living room to work here so she is very crabby! A few minutes ago she was swearing away like a sailor and finally gave up, moved into our bedroom and is watching, snuggled up, there! Love, Dad!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment