Monday 24 September 2012

IIDD, Try, Monday September 24th

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist. -Louis Nizer, lawyer (1902-1994)

Nadienka's mini scones!

Sounds like you are having fun. When do you get back home. Wayne


Hi Sarge:

Sorry, I know I forgot to mention when we return to Vancouver. Not sure if I told you, in an earlier message, but Grogg re-booked their flights to get direct passage to Vancouver, thus arriving two days earlier than originally planned, this afternoon. I was always leaving on Wednesday as I have a VIFF orientation session in the evening and a shift the next day, the 27th. Cora Lee was going to stay for a day to visit but with them back earlier she decided she'd return on Wednesday as well. She has a number of meetings she wasn't going to attend but decided that since she could, she would. At any rate, this just in from Grogg:

Flight delayed until 10:00PM.
Re booked to Toronto, then Van, so now best chance is 7:30PM ferry from Horseshoe Bay.
Eta will now be around 9:45PM.
Will be ready to pound a little red and /or malt upon arrival!
Will call from airport or ferry this evening...G&F

So much for the joys of Air Miles and airing out the cellar! Depending on connections, I think they might even stay overnight in Vancouver. Off for a ride to Union Bay now that the fog is lifting and the sun is attempting to break through. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Grogg!

Sorry to hear about the delays. What a drag!!! Hope you don't run into any other snags. I had a message from Sarge wondering about when you were back. Flamin' was in Newfoundland at Juliette's wedding this past weekend and he was working himself, on Saturday, I beleive, so he wasn't able to come over. Buona Fortuna with connezzione. Cora Lee had planned a mixed grill for dinner tonight, (chicken breasts marinating in buttermilk, beef sausages from SF), corn-on-the-cob, but we'll probably just eat overlefts for supper and have today's menu tomorrow! Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: Cimicky is being brushed on the patio as I scribe. Fog is lifting and sun is starting to break through. Headed to Union Bay, (I hope!), shortly. Now that you won't be back til late, I think I'll go all the way to Port Hardy!!! 




Hello Lads of the Mainland Peleton!

Thought that I would share today's ride with everyone. At the risk of soundingI am pleased to report that I logged 163.4K over 7:15:59 for an AVG of 22.2kph and a MAX of 48.5kph on my run to Royston, about 75K north of MadroƱa Manor. Some of you know that last Friday I logged 143.4K on a similar route so I was determined to better my kilometerage today, in the main, to see if I could match the Penticton Gran Fondo distance. I set out about 10:30am and made for Union Bay, my turnaround spot of the earlier, longest ride ever, for me. It was quite foggy all morning and when I set out the sun was barely showing through the overcast. Once again, I was quite pleased that it wasn't boiling hot as I knew I'd need to pace myself and having to worry about the heat was just another significant impediment.

Head wind was not as strong as before so I was quite thankful for that. However, there was a fair bit of traffic on the Old Island Highway, at least until Bowser, 40K out. I was glad that I was wearing a light jacket as whenever I was in the shade or along the open water, the breeze was quite cool. Knowing the route makes quite a difference as I could anticipate the grades ahead and gear accordingly as well as use the downhill slopes and flats to try to maintain my goal of an AVG of 20kph, as a minimum pace. In a sense I was pitting myself against the clock as I could tell whenever I fell below or behind my self-imposed goal. In fact, it was one way to keep my mind occupied even if my legs were not all that happy at times!

Felt pretty good by the time I reached Union Bay so decided if this was the case that I'd cycle another 5K, to Royston, to put my distance at 75K for trip out. I debated about going all the way to Courtenay. I knew I could go that far but I was far more concerned about the return trip. Going all the way into Courtenay was only another 5K or so but I was worried about the wind as I knew that if I had to battle it all the way home I was going to be in trouble. As well, I didn't want to be on the main roads after 6:00pm, for reasons of light and safety. Of course, I could have started out earlier and brought along my new nifty MEC rechargeable, (just plug it into your computer's USB port), halogen headlights, but I didn't. This being the case, I decided I'd add the "extra" 10K on at the end of the ride, if I had the energy and will left to do so!

Delighted, when I turned around, to find that while the wind was not exactly at my back, more of a cross-wind, it wasn't buffeting me as before. Naturally this made things much more pleasant and I could actually enjoy the scenery rather than putting my head down, gritting my teeth and forcing myself not to think of the distance yet to travel! I fairly sailed along the more or less flatlands from Royston south past Fanny Bay and then up to Rosewall Creek. After that there is a long, long climb into Bowser but I caught up to a chap ahead of me and we chatted to the crest of the hill so that kept my mind off the grade. He lives in Fanny Bay and just got his carbon fibre bike a few weeks ago. Originally from Leicestershire, I hope I didn't offend him when I asked if he was from Yorkshire! He asked me if I'd heard about a cycle tour in the Himalayas. From Lhasa to Katmandu, I believe. Three weeks or so, I think he said. He almost decided to sign up but decided on a trek instead. Told him that Seymour Demo Forest was enough altitude for me! Talk about extreme cycling. However, I spit on mountain biking, particularly down Everest!!!

Waved goodbye and made for Bowser, quite refreshed by the slower pace, but frantic that my AVG had dropped beyond recapture! Need not have worried, Dear Reader, and I felt quite confident by the time I was skirting Qualicum Bay as I knew I had but one punishing grade up past Qualicum Landing and then mostly downhill all the way to Qualicum Beach. Last hill, of any real consequence, there, and it isn't too, too tough, compared to some of the other inclines, so I was headed for Parksville shortly after 5:00pm with about 130K on the odometre. Made all the lights in town and then over the bridge at Englishman River to leave highway on Industrial Way for the Parksville Industrial Park where I indulged in my first true dipsy-doodling of the ride, doing a bit of a loop on Herring Gull Way and Franklins Gull Road to register 151K before I crossed the Island Hwy E to connect with NW Bay Road.

Home was in sight so once past Craig Bay Estates I had but the small hill up to Beaver Wharf Road to negotiate. My legs were feeling pretty good, I must say, but I indulged myself and geared down til just past Arbutus Drive, the crest of this particular hill, and then it was left off NW Bay Rd onto Wall Beach Road. Down to Acacia Road, ringing my bell at the deer munching grass near the intersection, paying me the scantest of attention, unlike the dog in the yard at the top of the street who barks at me each and every time I pass! Left onto on Ballenas Road then right onto Brunt Road which becomes Craig Drive. Halfway up Craig Drive, left onto Madrona Drive and, hell bent for leather, all the way to the end. Passed neighbours, Nancy, (chatting with a dog walker), and Annabel, (unloading Rana, their dog, from the back of her car), as I made my way along the thoroughfare. Puzzled looks from both as I didn't turn into our own driveway! Needless to say, I needed to do one more complete loop of the straightaway and then, glory of glories, I glided into the driveway, with the desired distance registering, in flashing neon!

So there you have it , Lads!  I plan on putting out a line of bracelets: Doodlestrong! Do you think they will catch on? Reduced prices for those members of the Peleton, in good standing! Please find notarized evidence attached. Cheers, Il Conduttore!!!

Pics: Trusty odometre; pickerel filets for dinner and remainder of this cake for dessert. All washed down with a bottle of Grogg's 2008 Burrowing Owl Chardonnay, 13.5%. They were to be home tonight but flight was delayed so they are spending the night in Vancouver, at the GI Hotel. I will toast myself with a goodly snort of his Doorly's Barbados Rum, a truly delicious sipping spirit, well suited to life, here in the monied enclaves of the east coast of Vancouver Island, insulated and far from the hoi polloi, The Great Unwashed, of Nanoose Bay and Nanaimo. Until we ride again!!!

PS: Please don't tell Ragin' Bull that my feet never touched the ground, once, during the entire ride! His apoplexy, notwithstanding, I feel I'm a far, far better person for it.

That's one hell of a ride, Pat - well done! Very good average speed and you know you are capable of the Penticton 160 and perhaps a better ave. speed so perhaps under 7 hours is a strong possibility. Haven't done much myself other than a few easy functional rides. Had Mike and Pauline on Saturday night. They told us about the riding in the south-east corner of Washington around Walla Walla which sounded very good. Checked their web site and ave. temps for the month of Sept. were 78 degrees! Looked at some carbon fibre hybrids on-line from the US which looked very reasonably priced. There was also something called a 'cafe' bike, supposedly faster than road bikes but with straight handlebars. The site also listed the geometry of the bike. Reading 'The Professionals' by Owen Laukkanen, a Vancouver writer. This seems like a very good start for a first novel. Wondered if either you or Corinne had come across him? Ray

Hi Raymondo!

Glad Polly and Mick enjoyed their trip to Walla Walla and environs. I noted that Whirlygig included you in his last message. Perhaps the "cafe" bikes will be perfect selection for you both when you are sitting in the pub quaffing while I, hamster-like, ride around and around in ever diminishing dipsy-doodle circles.

Furthermore, I mentioned to Giggster that I noted the undue influence of The Sisterhood with respect to the clip-less pedals as Cora Lee inadvertently sent me a message intended for Big Al in which she outlines a dastardly scheme to have him weld my shoes to the pedals, a la The Kingston Trio: "He's the cyclist who never returned/He may ride forever on the hills of Semo-Demfo/He's the rider who never returned!"

And, speaking of pubs, perhaps you and Giorgio should consider taking the bus out to Horsehsoe Bay, (now that you are no longer riding but only belittling those who do), and be sitting on the patio at Trolls, laughing uproariously, on Wednesday, when I return to tackle the hill out of the village. In preparation I plan to do The Fairwinds Loop early this aft. Heard from Grogg that they should be on the 8:30am ferry so imagine they will be a home around 11ish. This being the case, I'd better make a quick run to the Recycling Depot in Parksville to get rid of all the incriminating evidence of all the hootch of his we have consumed since being here!

Owen Laukkanen isn't familiar to either of us. The last name sounds Finnish. Do you know if this is the case? I'm quite taken with David Adams Richards' The River of the Brokenhearted, our next Book Club selection. Do you know him? He's from New Brunswick. We heard him read last year at the VIWF. I find him to be the Canadian equivalent of Thomas Wolfe or William Faulkner. Cheers, Patrizzio

 Dear VIWF:

I am delighted to accept the invitation to the Festival's Opening Reception. Cora Lee Durston will be my guest. Thanks very much. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment